IGNORED

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you impressed by the PS5 or the XSX so far?

• Yes, both the PS5 and the XSX have impressed me
    • Yes, the PS5 has impressed me
    • Yes, the XSX has impressed me
    • No, none of them have impresed me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Perhaps some other solution will present itself. Something we hadn't thought of or some crazy-ass mod that just.. might.. work.. Some sort of direct-to-CPU connection. Bypassing the "chipset" entirely.

The trend in PC design is always toward serialization for chip interconnects, busses, interfaces, and more.. because of size and amount of PCB traces. RealEstate and all that. But if an area of the architecture needs a serious boost there's always parallel wiring to fall back on.

One of the big issues as I understand it is getting stuff into GPU memory.     The PS5 doesn't draw a distinction between main memory and GPU, it's all one large pool of memory.

On PC you first need to load into main memory,  then you need to decompress and copy stuff over to GPU memory, and this slows down loads a lot.  So I guess some solution to load direct to GPU is needed

• Like 2

There's lots of videos like this comparing PC load times between NVME SSD,  SATA SSD,  and mechanical harddrive.  They all show that there is barely any difference between load times on NVME and SATA SSDs, even though NVME I/O is many times faster than SATA!   This shows the bottleneck isn't I/O speed, but something else.

• Thanks 1

The PS5 is fine hardware wise, but man the game scene has been crickets since launch. Updated older games is fine, but I'm not dying to play the PS4 games again I've played over the past five to ten years, and there is almost nothing being released that has a PS5-specific sku. Means no one is taking advantage of the rumble, card support, etc., and there's very little next gen to play on it outside of the handful of launch games like Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom.

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

The PS5 is fine hardware wise, but man the game scene has been crickets since launch. Updated older games is fine, but I'm not dying to play the PS4 games again I've played over the past five to ten years, and there is almost nothing being released that has a PS5-specific sku. Means no one is taking advantage of the rumble, card support, etc., and there's very little next gen to play on it outside of the handful of launch games like Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom.

It's why I'm not going crazy trying to find one.   I'll wait until they are back in stock and not selling at inflated prices.

The only thing I really want to play at the moment is Demon Souls.

The PS4 was a similar wasteland at launch for about the first year of its life, but look at it now!

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I think there is a decent amount of games using next gen power right now considering its been less than 2 months since launch. There are several games that use raytracing or 120hz modes.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mockduck said:

It's not that bad. Sackboy, Demon's Souls. And the same excellent version of Yakuza Like a Dragon that's on Series X is on the way in March. You can get most of these also on PS4, but these are new games. If you're buying multiplats like Watch Dogs Legion and AC Valhalla, why not get the best versions on consoles?

• Like 1