7 hours ago, RevEng said:

This sort of problem with flow control could either be a bad jump, bankswitch, or whatnot, or it could be a hardware issue. The fact that the problem with Popeye didn't manifest when Versa was used, demonstrates it's a hardware issue in that case. Perhaps it's the same here too, since many people can't reproduce it.

But a hardware issue where? The 7800? The DF cart? That is what we are trying to figure out. The fact that @john_q_atari has this happening to some degree on 3 different 7800s that he has in his possession would indicate it isn't the 7800 as it is unlikely that he would own three of them with the same hardware error right?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But a hardware issue where? The 7800? The DF cart? That is what we are trying to figure out. The fact that @john_q_atari has this happening to some degree on 3 different 7800s that he has in his possession would indicate it isn't the 7800 as it is unlikely that he would own three of them with the same hardware error right?

Yes, that's the question, and there isn't a simple answer here. The 7800 has some signal quirks. e.g. A14+A15 being pulled up, A12+A14+A15 being run through AND gates before hitting the cart port. (introducing differences in timing between these lines and the others) Bus access happens at 1.19Mhz, 1.79Mhz, and 7.16Mhz, depending on what device is involved. Probably more that I'm not considering. Timing with these quirks, even with eprom based carts, has always been a bit hit and miss.

I only wanted to add some clarity to the fact this likely isn't a software issue, since Versa is immune. I don't own a DF cart, and nor do I have the tools to do a signal timing analysis.

• Thanks 1