IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

SDX RTC driver is not up to date

You'll have to wait for next SDX release

Banking scheme used for SIDE3 is completly diffrent that is for SIDE2, resulting in incompatible images

Flashing tools used with SIDE2, U1MB, etc won't work here

All we have right now as far as SDX goes is initial SDX image

• Like 1

Quick question (or questions) for @flashjazzcat -

Jon, while we await the SIDE3 Loader for U1MB, when using the SIDE3's built-in loader on the cart, is there any trick to selecting and mounting a cartridge ROM but not booting immediately, similar to how one may select and mount ATR files without booting? 

And a related question, what kind of limits exist in using the soft-OS ATR support? For instance, I might want to boot a simple Atari DOS 2.5 ATR but also have (for instance) the PILOT language ROM selected. I can't seem to do this. The (admittedly few) ATRs I mount don't seem to boot - I either get a hung white cursor on the blue editor screen, or the cartridge ROM loads without booting the DOS disk first. 

Do I need to go back and watch your summer videos again? I seem to recall those mostly dealt with U1MB integration but it's been a couple months.

19 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Jon, while we await the SIDE3 Loader for U1MB, when using the SIDE3's built-in loader on the cart, is there any trick to selecting and mounting a cartridge ROM but not booting immediately, similar to how one may select and mount ATR files without booting? 

Yep. CTRL+RETURN, just as with ATRs in prior versions.

And a related question, what kind of limits exist in using the soft-OS ATR support? For instance, I might want to boot a simple Atari DOS 2.5 ATR but also have (for instance) the PILOT language ROM selected.

I think I tested the soft-OS with a mounted ATR and a mounted cart and found it to work, but any cart which messes with PORTB is likely to upset everything, as is normally the case with such solutions.

Do I need to go back and watch your summer videos again?

The SIDE3 loader makes no departures from the usability model of prior loaders. The only exception is the presence of emulated carts, a larger directory buffer, and some more settings in the Options menu. I have a manual in the pipeline, but - honestly - it's not that different from what's described in the U1MB/SIDE Loader manual.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Great, Jon. Thanks. I had forgotten about CTRL-RETURN. I usually use TAB to select ATRs since I can then set the drive number as needed for each one I am accessing.

One more quick question regarding XEX support - most of the files I've tried seem to hang the cartridge loader. The same XEXs load from my SIDE2 CF card perfectly with the U1MB's SIDE Loader. Is this sort of thing to be expected when using the cartridge with a U1MB-equipped machine for now? 

16 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

One more quick question regarding XEX support - most of the files I've tried seem to hang the cartridge loader.

This doesn't sound right. Make sure BASIC is turned off in the loader. I suppose the U1MB SDX could cause problems if it's left active, so best to boot from the cart SDX for now. XEX compatibility should be identical to that of prior loader versions, since the actual binary loader is identical (aside from the low-level IO code, of course, this being an SD card).

38 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

This doesn't sound right. Make sure BASIC is turned off in the loader. I suppose the U1MB SDX could cause problems if it's left active, so best to boot from the cart SDX for now. XEX compatibility should be identical to that of prior loader versions, since the actual binary loader is identical (aside from the low-level IO code, of course, this being an SD card).

The card I'm using is the same one I've been using for my SDrive-MAX. I actually pulled it out of there, copied all the files to my PC, reformatted the card, booted SDX in the SIDE3 and used FDISK to partition it for APT partitions, then formatted the FAT32 part back on my Win10 box and copied all the files back over, plus a folder full of cartridge ROMs. 

The files in this particular directory will not load from the SIDE3 Loader - I have confirmed that BASIC is disabled in the SIDE3 Loader and SDX is disabled in the U1MB BIOS. They all crash the screen with corrupted graphics (disregard the VBXE-specific file there - that was from prior fooling around with my 1088XLD with a VBXE installed). However, every one of them will load from the SDrive-MAX over SIO per my tests just now.

image.thumb.png.edefcadb3ccacbfad380f416d11daebb.png

However, if I navigate into the Demos or Games folders, and then down into the alphabetical folders inside each of those, everything I picked at random seems to load okay. Just not these. Could it be because these files are contained inside a folder that also has sub-folders? 

Sorry if my description is unclear.

EDIT: Yes, that seems to be the cause. I created a new folder called (duh!) "Misc" and moved all those random files in there. They all load perfectly now.

6 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

You know what the next question is Herb. :) If you could ZIP the folder up and send it, I'll test them ASAP. Thanks in advance!

See my edit above. I created a new folder, moved these files into that one, and now they all load fine. It appears the Loader does not like a mixture of individual files and folders. 

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

It appears the Loader does not like a mixture of individual files and folders. 

No, that's not the reason. I wonder if the files were actually corrupted somehow when copied to the SD card.

I just tested 2/3 of the titles shown in your screenshot straight off the AtariOnline archive and every one of them loaded just fine. The XEX loader is simply passed the start of the cluster chain of the FAT file under the highlight bar; it doesn't matter what else is in the same folder.

10 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

No, that's not the reason. I wonder if the files were actually corrupted somehow when copied to the SD card.

I just tested 2/3 of the titles shown in your screenshot straight off the AtariOnline archive and every one of them loaded just fine. The XEX loader is simply passed the start of the cluster chain of the FAT file under the highlight bar; it doesn't matter what else is in the same folder.

Well, whatever corruption would have been there was ignored by the SDrive-MAX's XEX loader so I don't know - I tested them on both my 1088XLD and 1200XL with the SDrive-MAX after I ran into issues with SIDE3. After that, I simply put the microSD card into a reader, put that into my PC, then created a new folder right on the card and then moved them by drag & drop to the new folder.  They load just fine from there - I didn't copy "clean" versions from my PC or anything. So it's a mystery.

EDIT: and even more weirdness. I put the card back in my PC, copied the same files back the higher-level "XEX Files" directory, and they load okay now. SD cards are weird, man. 

25 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

SD cards are weird, man.

Without doubt. The idea that Secure Digital represents a New Dawn of compatibility and reliability remains unproven to me.

Anyway: my main concern is to debunk the notion that there is any dependency on there not being folders in the host directory of an XEX, because there isn't. But for sure some SD cards have been known to behave oddly during tests, so I would not be surprised to see IO errors on v.1.0 hardware and firmware.

Anyway: while testing those XEX files, I discovered another bug (CTRL+P doesn't always call the parent folder if the directory is extremely long). :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Anyway: while testing those XEX files, I discovered another bug (CTRL+P doesn't always call the parent folder if the directory is extremely long).

Well, that's good at least. :)

Can you explain what the "Accelerate" option does in the Loader? Is it related to keyboard response or anything? I seem to get a lot of double-presses while typing, as if the input isn't being debounced. This is something I don't see in the "standard" U1MB SIDE Loader with the SIDE2, or in the XEL Loader, for instance. Turning the setting on or off seems to make no difference so perhaps I misunderstand the intention. 

18 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Can you explain what the "Accelerate" option does in the Loader? Is it related to keyboard response or anything?

It is. After 20 or so repetitions on the arrow keys, the repeat rate increases.

18 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I seem to get a lot of double-presses while typing, as if the input isn't being debounced.

Interesting. It's surely debounced and the keyboard handler is identical to the one on the SIDE2 loader.

CTRL+P issue fixed here (also affected ESC to back up the tree).

Edited by flashjazzcat

8 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Interesting. It's surely debounced and the keyboard handler is identical to the one on the SIDE2 loader.

Maybe it's a quirk of this particular 1200XL. I'll test it in another one later tonight and see if it's machine-specific.

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Maybe it's a quirk of this particular 1200XL. I'll test it in another one later tonight and see if it's machine-specific.

OK. Let me know. I can always alter the initial repeat delay since it is quite aggressive on NTSC systems, but it's been exactly the same for 2-3 years on the SIDE2/XEL versions.

CTRL+H (home) was broken as well on long (> 256 files) directories. Fixed that too.

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

but it's been exactly the same for 2-3 years on the SIDE2/XEL versions.

That might explain the difference I observe too - by far most of my use for the past 2-1/2 years has been with the XEL/XLD and the substantially newer PS2 keyboards, and their newer keyboard springs. :) 

I also realized today that the U1MB BIOS version in my 1200XL is still on version 3.02, so it's fairly old at this point. ?

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That might explain the difference I observe too - by far most of my use for the past 2-1/2 years has been with the XEL/XLD and the substantially newer PS2 keyboards, and their newer keyboard springs. :) 

Very possibly. I also realise one or two 1088XEL users in the States are running PAL configurations. In any case: let me know how you get on. I didn't really have room in the SIDE/XEL loader to normalise the key delay and repeat rates across PAL/NTSC (and actually I prefer the speed of NTSC, personally), but I don't object to changing things to make stuff more usable.

Edited by flashjazzcat

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK. Let me know. I can always alter the initial repeat delay since it is quite aggressive on NTSC systems, but it's been exactly the same for 2-3 years on the SIDE2/XEL versions.

CTRL+H (home) was broken as well on long (> 256 files) directories. Fixed that too.

Look at that, crushing bugs like Bigfoot in the forest!

My SIDE3 arrived today (Toronto) and as a first time user I'm a little overwhelmed.  Just read above that the SIDE3 manual is in the pipeline but I can reference the older manual for now.  https://lotharek.pl/files/side2/side2basics.pdf

Have to say I noticed an incredible speed difference with this over my SIO2SD device.   Love it so far.

5 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Just read above that the SIDE3 manual is in the pipeline but I can reference the older manual for now.  https://lotharek.pl/files/side2/side2basics.pdf

Use these for now:

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Loader-Quick-Reference.pdf

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf

The SIDE3 loader is virtually identical to my SIDE Loader with the exception that it handles carts and has some fancy extra settings in the Options menu.

• Like 1