IGNORED

8.333MHz oscillator replacement

archeocomp

Hi, here is a replacement for hard to find full can oscillator 8.333MHz with duty cycle 50% for XF551 drive. It is based on 74HCT6323A 5 Volt IC. The board has exact footprint of a Full-Can Oscillator. Needed components are 1206 - resistor R1 can be 100k-2M (1M-2M2 tried and working), smaller capacitor C1 is 33p (tried 22p-33p and working), and as specified in datasheet for frequencies higher than 5MHz second resitor is to be replaced by capacitor half the capacity of C2 = that means R2 is capacitor 47p (tried also 68 and 75 and working).
Crystal is double the frequency - 16.666MHz sourced from Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867725002.html

74HCT6323A is configured with internal prescaler :2. This ensures perfect duty cycle 50%.

Board is shared at OSH Park https://oshpark.com/profiles/archeocomp

I have also made prototyping board with THT components, which can be populated with socket pins for rapid experimenting with components values without soldering.

And for those who would need half can oscillator footprint but without prescaler - there are two similar boards (SMD and protoyping THT) shared at OSH Park based on 74LVC1GX04 IC.

fullcan.jpg

Full Can and protoboard

74HCT6323A.jpg

Half Can and protoboard

74LVC1GX04.jpg

Full Can with crystal from Ali

8.333mhz.jpg

Edited by archeocomp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

This specific frequency is very hard to find.  Impossible.  I DID find affordable crystals at 8.388608mhz.  The difference is less than 6 tenths of 1 percent.........

I'm trying this to resurrect my Skydata SK-551p disk drive.  The existing 8.333mhz crystal isn't producing anything..

best,

jeff