IGNORED

Brand New Atari 7800 Cartridge Shells

Starwander

Wanted to let people know that I had a mold made for the Atari 7800 cartridge shells and can now offer them to anyone that needs them. 

Details

1) Made in USA. 

2) You can choose the color. I can make them in a variety of colors. Any of the Nintendo 64 console colors and most of the GameBoy console colors. 

3) The shells have been re-designed to remove the locking tabs. This allows for much easier opening and closing of the shells without fear of breaking the locking tabs on the inside. The shell is held together by the central screw, which is included with the shell. 

4) Price is $3.50 each plus shipping. 

Once I have a list of initial interest I will have them made up. I also have an Atari Jaguar shell mold nearly finished and will be offering them as well shortly. I also have Sega Genesis shells available as well if anyone is interested. 

20200724_194730.thumb.jpg.3088300811d300b078f0bc7e6d991d35.jpg

20200724_194719.thumb.jpg.02ba11f1c27dac77a41665ea745a9329.jpg

• Like 13

I'm also not keen on those holes still being present on the label side for where the cart guide pegs were punched out. That is the #1 spot were the labels start to peel off the cartridge because of those openings allowing dust etc to creep up under that label. And honestly with 7800 games, are the pegs really that needed? The carts will still only fit in one way since the PCB isn't right in the middle and sits just low of center.

I also would be curious to see how the cartridge halves do over time with just a center screen to hold them together? I've seen similar designs where over time, the plastics start to warp a bit and separate from the sides. I'm pretty sure that was one reason why the tabs were added to the carts in the first place?

You know what? I apologize as I just reread this and saw how all negative I'm being on this. I don't mean to be, but if designing a replacement cart shell, why not take a good look at what was done right and what could be improved on the design if a new mold were to be made for it is all I'm saying. 

I've never liked the 7800 and late era 2600 cartridges because of those holes in the corner of the cart label side.

I do like the idea of multiple colors being available. That is one thing that stands out with the R&V cart is the that wonderful orange translucent color of the cartridge. Now game label artwork and the carts can match up better.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm also not keen on those holes still being present on the label side for where the cart guide pegs were punched out. That is the #1 spot were the labels start to peel off the cartridge because of those openings allowing dust etc to creep up under that label. And honestly with 7800 games, are the pegs really that needed? The carts will still only fit in one way since the PCB isn't right in the middle and sits just low of center.

I also would be curious to see how the cartridge halves do over time with just a center screen to hold them together? I've seen similar designs where over time, the plastics start to warp a bit and separate from the sides. I'm pretty sure that was one reason why the tabs were added to the carts in the first place?

You know what? I apologize as I just reread this and saw how all negative I'm being on this. I don't mean to be, but if designing a replacement cart shell, why not take a good look at what was done right and what could be improved on the design if a new mold were to be made for it is all I'm saying. 

I've never liked the 7800 and late era 2600 cartridges because of those holes in the corner of the cart label side.

I do like the idea of multiple colors being available. That is one thing that stands out with the R&V cart is the that wonderful orange translucent color of the cartridge. Now game label artwork and the carts can match up better.

Not negative, just pointing out things that yes I could have done differently. I decided to stay as close as possible to the original with the exception of the snaps which I personally don't like. 

5 hours ago, TailChao said:

Nice work, looks like you got the original texture down as well.

Only thing I'm not too keen on is the screw still residing under the game label, but it's great to have more options for fresh plastics.

Yes, in retrospect it probably would have been better to move that to the back side of the cartridge. 

Albert has the molds for the Jaguar shells (IIRC) so if you where looking to make something that isn't already available, that isn't one. Someone else already made a new mold for Jaguar shells too I believe. Would hate to see you spend the time and money on something like that to have it not bring back what you put into it (and more).

These 7800 shells will be a blessing that is for sure. It would have been nice to have the tabs still there and maybe the holes covered on the face of the cartridge but I didn't make them and beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure to get in touch in the future to get some from you. Thanks for making these and offering them to the public. 

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Albert has the molds for the Jaguar shells (IIRC) so if you where looking to make something that isn't already available, that isn't one. Someone else already made a new mold for Jaguar shells too I believe. Would hate to see you spend the time and money on something like that to have it not bring back what you put into it (and more).

These 7800 shells will be a blessing that is for sure. It would have been nice to have the tabs still there and maybe the holes covered on the face of the cartridge but I didn't make them and beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure to get in touch in the future to get some from you. Thanks for making these and offering them to the public. 

Yes this is true however currently Albert is not using his mold and the other mold is located in China and the MOQ per color is 2000 pieces. I have some folks that need small runs of custom colors for the Atari Jaguar and was the reason I had the mold made. 

19 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The teeth are used to open the dust cover on the 2600's cartridge slot rather than for orientation. If you're only going to use the shells for 7800 cartridges they can probably be removed, at least until some weird hardware variant turns up in a basement or dumpster that has a dust door. So one perk is these shells can also be used for 2600 games.

Ah, but now I'm curious about the Jaguar molds - are these going to be faithful to the originals or are you going for something new like the Jaguar GameDrive's shell which removes the silly handle?

Oh I know that is why those pegs are there. Atari Corp was using the exact same molds for both 2600 and 7800 games in the late 80s early 90s, so it made since they made a single universal shell. But as you stated, the 7800 and I think the 2600jr do not have dust doors that have to be opened up to insert the carts so at least for 7800 games, it doesn't really make any since for them to be there. 

3 hours ago, TailChao said:

The teeth are used to open the dust cover on the 2600's cartridge slot rather than for orientation. If you're only going to use the shells for 7800 cartridges they can probably be removed, at least until some weird hardware variant turns up in a basement or dumpster that has a dust door. So one perk is these shells can also be used for 2600 games.

Ah, but now I'm curious about the Jaguar molds - are these going to be faithful to the originals or are you going for something new like the Jaguar GameDrive's shell which removes the silly handle?

They are like the original with the handle

20200724_195035.thumb.jpg.05033d3e8574134491abc0c9be429258.jpg

20200724_195041.thumb.jpg.14b78e1d727f6f38c37bfe899d1b0208.jpg

19 hours ago, Starwander said:

Yes this is true however currently Albert is not using his mold and the other mold is located in China and the MOQ per color is 2000 pieces. I have some folks that need small runs of custom colors for the Atari Jaguar and was the reason I had the mold made. 

Very good :)

47 minutes ago, Dauber said:

Would you consider making similar ones for the Mateos cart?? (Assuming you're lucky enough to get one of those into your hands...) The board won't fit in an unmodified shell.

It kinda will if you modify the cart so that the daughter card isn't detachable anymore. That is what I did with mine. Only modification was to open up the label end of the cart for the switch selector and end connector to fit through.

14 hours ago, Dauber said:

Would you consider making similar ones for the Mateos cart?? (Assuming you're lucky enough to get one of those into your hands...) The board won't fit in an unmodified shell.

At this time I only make shells for products released on large scales due to the high cost of injection molding.