IGNORED

The problem with Cave In

Alena

I have mild Aspergers as does my son. I am not a fan of Autism Speaks based on their videos, statements, etc. but have had no direct dealings with them.

On the Cave In page, Steve clearly states his son has it. You never know, AS may have helped his family at some point or he knows people they've helped. I'm sure he's doing it with the best intentions. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tman03 said:

Agreed. Lets shut down this discussion so I can talk about some homebrews I'll make!

Before we shut this down altogether, I want to thank you and others for raising my awareness of the issues with this organization.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

As far as I understand the situation, autists usually do not want to be "cured".

22 hours ago, scrummy said:

...The person who choose to make a deal out of this seems to feel very strongly about his situation, but he does not speak for all.  There are people suffering out there who would prefer a cure.

I don't know about everyone, but I have a close friend with Autism and I can assure you he does not consider it a "gift" and would love to be "cured". 

And yes, many parents of these children at varying ranges on the spectrum have a lot of difficulties and need support as well.  I would not want to fault parents for seeking treatment for their children either, or for seeking assistance or learning for themselves.

If someone is happy with their situation, that is fine, but I would not want to smear an organization that seeks to help those who would like help and spread understanding of the issue.  There are some therapies that have shown very good results for people.  My wife and I have looked into Neuro Feedback and have even been considering starting a clinic.

edit:

On 8/26/2020 at 11:46 AM, tman03 said:

Agreed. Lets shut down this discussion so I can talk about some homebrews I'll make!

I really look forward to that and wish you all the best!  :)

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2