IGNORED

I've just gone and bought my first Jaguar from ebay

Ross PK

So I received it yesterday. The console is working perfectly, and the console, controller, and games are in really nice condition.

As soon as I fired it up and started playing Kasumi Ninja I was already having a lot of fun, so the console can't be that bad. ?

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ross PK said:

So I received it yesterday. The console is working perfectly, and the console, controller, and games are in really nice condition.

As soon as I fired it up and started playing Kasumi Ninja I was already having a lot of fun, so the console can't be that bad. ?

Wait until you pop Bubsy in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ross PK said:

I think that the Jag is perfectly fine as a console on its own merits, and it's the only one that I have and play from its generation. There are about ten great games on the system, and just buy those (and that list includes neither Cybermorph nor Kasumi Ninja), and forget the rest. No one has time to play the entire library these days, and, while it's fun to bitch and whine about the dogs of the Jag's library, it's simply easier just to play the good games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, amiman99 said:

@Ross PK you also need Tempest 2000 with rotary controller.

After so many years owning my Jaguar, I was able to get me another controller and add spinner to it. What a difference in playing Tempest 2000! More precise control shooting down enemies.

Tempest 2000 is on my wanted list, it reminds me of Livewire on the Atari 8-Bit.

I've seen rotary controllers on ebay, they're quite expensive though, but I might get one if it does enhance the game that much.

1 hour ago, Ross PK said:

I've seen rotary controllers on ebay, they're quite expensive though, but I might get one if it does enhance the game that much.

It does.  It makes movement of your ship so much easier and more precise.  Be sure to read about them in this forum.  Some of the members here have engineered them and have them for sale.  I would recommend the Opal rotary controller, but it is no longer being produced.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amiman99 said:

@Ross PK you also need Tempest 2000 with rotary controller.

After so many years owning my Jaguar, I was able to get me another controller and add spinner to it. What a difference in playing Tempest 2000! More precise control shooting down enemies.

.....and grab Rebooteroids from the AA store. Amazing game!

3 hours ago, Ross PK said:

Tempest 2000 is on my wanted list, it reminds me of Livewire on the Atari 8-Bit.

Livewire is great, but you can play T2K — er, T0.5K on the A8 by picking up Tempest Elite from Video 61. It’s awesome.

4 hours ago, Ross PK said:

It's not that hard to mod the controller yourself, if you know how to solder few wires and drill a hole.

Controllers in the US are $20, encoders under $10, and so on.

Here's the unsealing.

https://youtu.be/LLSe4hm5ds0

I've also been playing the game and I actually really like it, I can't understand all the hate it gets.

So far from what I've played the game doesn't seem broken in any way, and while it can be quite challenging at times, I'm not finding it so difficult that it stops the game from being fun.

Edited by Ross PK

On 9/2/2020 at 3:20 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I think that the Jag is perfectly fine as a console on its own merits, and it's the only one that I have and play from its generation. There are about ten great games on the system, and just buy those (and that list includes neither Cybermorph nor Kasumi Ninja), and forget the rest. No one has time to play the entire library these days, and, while it's fun to bitch and whine about the dogs of the Jag's library, it's simply easier just to play the good games.

Which 10 games are those? My grandfather had a Jaguar when I was a kid in the late 80s early 90s. He had a lot of atari stuff, big gamer. Playing on his lynx units are why I bought them all these years later, and am working to repair his original lynx units. 

For a good 5+ years I've debated picking up a Jaguar and it's only going to get more expensive I fear. If the games on the top 10 list interest me, I might just pull the trigger!

19 hours ago, battleman13 said:

Which 10 games are those? My grandfather had a Jaguar when I was a kid in the late 80s early 90s. He had a lot of atari stuff, big gamer. Playing on his lynx units are why I bought them all these years later, and am working to repair his original lynx units. 

For a good 5+ years I've debated picking up a Jaguar and it's only going to get more expensive I fear. If the games on the top 10 list interest me, I might just pull the trigger!

Well, pull the trigger only if you can get a cheap unit AND the GameDrive AND you don't have any of the games on other systems AND you'll use the system.

1. T2K

2. BattleMorph

3. Rayman

4. Doom

5. Wolfenstein 3D

6. Raiden

7. Painter

8. Rebooteroids

9. Iron Soldier/II

10. Battlesphere

There are a couple of other games that could slip into the last two spots as well. And, of course, you won't be able to get .ROMs for the homebrews.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:39 AM, eightbit said:

Congrats. Nice Sony TV by the way. The picture looks great. I have a Wega myself, but I have always preferred bubble tube sets myself.

I also like how PAL Jag's have a green light. Looks so inviting as opposed to our angry red light we got here in the USA ;)

Thanks man.

At first when I saw someone's Jag in a Youtube video, I noticed the red LED, and I thought 'has his Jag been modified?'. Then I found out that NTSC ones have red LED's and PAL ones have green LED's.

Edited by Ross PK

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, Ross PK said:

Here you go. :)

SAM_2611.JPG

SAM_2618.JPG

This took a while but here is MY JAGUAR , now finally in its home.

The one thing i don't hear ATari Jaguar reviewers commenting on, is its' BUILD QUALITY!

Compared to the 90s machines from Nintendo and Sega- the jaguar is made of better quality materials and it's all put together tight and fitting. The controller isn't as light as some say which is a good thing because it does in fact feel solid and comfortable in your hands- The buttons are laid out ergonomically so your thumb can move across the C,B,A buttons in a straight line without having to stretch or pull it backward at an odd angle. The D-pad is shallow and feels tight- easy to tap any direction for subtle movements. There is a very short length of travel when a button has been pushed- allowing for more ease of use and repeated pressing. The C., B, A buttons are nicely designed and the triangular-rhombus looking C button is a nice unique element- the circle imprint on all these buttons works well too.
The Keypad is rubberized and activates with slight pressing- very useful. 

In summary the Jaguar's controller is the best i ever used and held during the 90s and for early 90s video game standard, it was far superior in build quality than all others. The overlays were actually surprisingly good- glossy plastic with raised ridges- it's like a raised bubble that is form fitted to the key pad buttons so you can feel around to know which number button is which.

The console itself has some weight and all the ports are firmly set- there's no rattling or cheapness about it. even the red power button gives a satisfying feel when pressed. 

All in all, the build quality of the Jaguar is superior to the competition. 

DSCN0558.JPG

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0560.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

In summary the Jaguar's controller is the best i ever used and held during the 90s and for early 90s video game standard, it was far superior in build quality than all others. The overlays were actually surprisingly good- glossy plastic with raised ridges- it's like a raised bubble that is form fitted to the key pad buttons so you can feel around to know which number button is which.

I understand that's your opinion, but in the 90s there were better controllers, I just love the JP Saturn controller (or US ver2 if you prefer), even the PS1 controller ain't bad at all (and I prefer it to the Jag any day of the week and twice on weekends) if you don't need to play fighting games a-la Street Fighter.

I think the lack of shoulder buttons is a big miss on the jag std pads and the "phone-pad" is just way way overrated (as it always has been, it didn't work that well for either colecovision, intellivision or the 5200, why would Atari bring it back is beyond me ...).

The SNES controller and the Genny 6 buttons controller are not bad either and likely I can use either on preference than the Jag one ... so told I have not had time to try the repro "Pro ctrl" I bought more than 1Y ago, I've been told those are better (shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons, better pad ... ) but still you can pray my JP Saturn controller out of my dead hands.

And speaking about controllers, is there a reason why the 6 face buttons have all but disappeared? I can see myself just fine with 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons, dpad, dual analog (asymmetric like XB or symmetric like PS) and a couple more "mid buttons" for start/pause etc... from time to time I see 6 face buttons controllers being re-offered (usually around a new installment of Street Fighter) ... why not have 6 face buttons being the norm? (I can deal with punch and kick having low/mid/high buttons way way more than the nonsense of analog "pressure sensitive" face buttons).

On the plus side I think I hate the Dreamcast and N64 controllers more than the Jag ones, so there's that!

8 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

This took a while but here is MY JAGUAR , now finally in its home.

The one thing i don't hear ATari Jaguar reviewers commenting on, is its' BUILD QUALITY!

Compared to the 90s machines from Nintendo and Sega- the jaguar is made of better quality materials and it's all put together tight and fitting. The controller isn't as light as some say which is a good thing because it does in fact feel solid and comfortable in your hands- The buttons are laid out ergonomically so your thumb can move across the C,B,A buttons in a straight line without having to stretch or pull it backward at an odd angle. The D-pad is shallow and feels tight- easy to tap any direction for subtle movements. There is a very short length of travel when a button has been pushed- allowing for more ease of use and repeated pressing. The C., B, A buttons are nicely designed and the triangular-rhombus looking C button is a nice unique element- the circle imprint on all these buttons works well too.
The Keypad is rubberized and activates with slight pressing- very useful. 

The console itself has some weight and all the ports are firmly set- there's no rattling or cheapness about it. even the red power button gives a satisfying feel when pressed. 

Great that you have your Jaguar console?

I see that you have the black-button controller, which has a tight D-pad indeed.

The grey-button version is more "mushy" and my preferred one for games which require diagonal movement.

The glossy overlays are nice and (with normal use) long lasting in comparison with the later versions like Doom and Iron Soldier of which the tabs are more easy to tear with extensive use.