IGNORED

Atari 2600 JR PAL Color Calibration - Question

athousanddetails

I'm trying to find the correct Atari 2600 PAL color bar scheme, but seems impossible over the web? And honestly i don't trust stella that much? 

In my case, what I have is from bottom, the 3 line up is a big chunky PINK block/line , and then above it's all green (like 2 or 3 shades) and the last two on top it's like a blueish line and a red/brown line.... (Sorry the pictures are crappy). Also, i was not using a DB9 probe into the console, does this makes any difference? 
What does this mean? I don't think this is good at all, i turn the Chroma trimmer around... it doesn't change much from CCW to middle, and at middle stays flashing and interfernce with red and blue with loads of noise, and then goes all Black and White the more CW i turn. 

Anything that can be checked? Power distribution seems ok from the readings.

Thanks for your help, i really need this to be back to real colors :(

atari1.jpg

atari2.jpg

1 hour ago, athousanddetails said:

Also, i was not using a DB9 probe into the console, does this makes any difference? 

No, the plugs are not needed for the color bar test of the diagnostic cartridge.

On the console I currently have hooked up, the results are similar to Stella with default values:

(The picture of the CRT screen looks much more washed out than it is in reality)

PAL_diag26_color_bars.thumb.jpg.cc8e1b122021f70dced70b9037265c01.jpg541190346_DiagnosticTestCartridge2.6P(1982)(Atari)(PAL)(4K).thumb.png.98307f1030031f33b9bb6e6b18341290.png

This is from the PAL Service manual:

color_bars1.thumb.jpeg.786e8056e573c4392bcd69e254436249.jpegcolor_bars2.thumb.jpeg.ed337e507a0e5045da21d26ad566eac9.jpegcolor_bars3.thumb.jpeg.19109e804a55361254ad419aea11c849.jpeg

Well... My colors are not good at all then.... I've attached better picture and a video of the range of the Trim Pot... 
Any idea what I can measure on the mainboard and see what is the issue with a Multimeter? Or what other components could I exchange? 

I've done this so far to my 2600JR Rev. F PAL Console:

I've already replaced capacitors, TL7805, and even trim pot. When i trim the Chroma Pot, from CCW to middle i get almost no variation, then on middle it flickers with noise red and blue colors, and from middle to the end it's all Black and White. 

When I tried to to change C48 Styrene Cap other than the one there or the sound ones, I get Black and White Colors only. (I don't know what recent component I can use to change Styrene Capacitors)  

I changed C22 ceramic cap by a new one, nothing. 

I changed C47 with a new film cap 0.068uF also nothing. 

I changed C5, C6, C13, C14 with new film caps also nothing. 

The 2600 PAL Service Manual would be good for a 2600 JR I guess... with Jerzy Sobola / Thomas Jentzsch schematics it would be ok? Or do you have to happen the 2600 JR Service Manual? 

Thanks @alex_79!

atari3.jpg

atari4.jpg

9 minutes ago, athousanddetails said:

Any idea what I can measure on the mainboard and see what is the issue with a Multimeter? Or what other components could I exchange? 

Sorry I can't help, that's beyond my basic skills in electronics...

There aren't freely available scans of the junior service manual AFAIK. I have a 1981 PAL one that only covers the 6 switch console (I don't remember where I downloaded it from), and I always used the J. Sobola schematics for 4-swicth and Jr versions.

Atari_2600_PAL_Service_Manual.pdf