IGNORED

TMS9901

dhe

18 minutes ago, dhe said:

Does anyone have a preferred vendor of TMS9901's?

I'd like to put back a few for a rainy day, but it seems it's gotten increasing easy to purchase bad chips, or chips, with new silk screens - that aren't even the chip you ordered (counterfeit).

Ebay funkward-tech https://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-TMS9901NL-TMS9901NL-40-TMS9901-Programmable-System-Interface-DIP-40-x-1pc/151076609192 has always been reputable to me.

Only had one order out of probably two dozen where I was physically shorted DRAMs, but they made it up. I've had zero fakes in my dealings, but I'm about due.

Doug

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dhe said:

Does anyone have a preferred vendor of TMS9901's?

I'd like to put back a few for a rainy day, but it seems it's gotten increasing easy to purchase bad chips, or chips, with new silk screens - that aren't even the chip you ordered (counterfeit).

I bought 9901 from chipsgate (china) some time ago. They worked.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/4PCS-Programmable-system-interface-IC-TI-DIP-40-TMS9901NL-TMS9901/152770812989?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have spares of every chip in the board in my organizer, including a couple of what we used to call "Golden Mamas" - white ceramic-bodied 9900's and I think a 9901.  Those are fairly rare 99/4A innards, and we occasionally found some in the plastic tubes used to store replacement chips on the assembly lines.  All of the techs collected them and installed them in their personal computers because they looked cool.

CCC

Edited by CC Clarke
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, CC Clarke said:

I have spares of every chip in the board in my organizer, including a couple of what we used to call "Golden Mamas" - white ceramic-bodied 9900's and I think a 9901.  Those are fairly rare 99/4A innards, and we occasionally found some in the plastic tubes used to store replacement chips on the assembly lines.  All of the techs collected them and installed them in their personal computers because they looked cool.

CCC

I have 3 or 4 ceramic 9900's, I'll have to watch for a 9901, that would be cool.