IGNORED

Anyone else sell all their Jag stuff and...

Crazy Climber

38 minutes ago, madman said:

Cool and in 2009 Apple stock could be bought for $5.

Dunno why, but this came to mind:

sandwhich_heavy.jpg.c57a87bf7e993a877a6ee8571ab90be2.jpg

Personally, I'm bullish on Jaguar and have a moderate long position.  The charts do not lie!  If they're too pricey for your portfolio at the moment but you'd like to add exposure, perhaps ask your brokerage if they offer fractional shares of Jaguar consoles and games, invest in Jaguar console & game options or other derivatives, or wait for the the SEC to approve the recent application for a Jaguar console & cartridge tracking ETF.

Or, you know, download Virtual Jaguar and buy one of those Jaguar controller USB adapters.  Checkered Flag is actually quite enjoyable that way on a fast CPU.

• Haha 2

I bought a loose Atari Karts at a used game store for $4.95.   (Though this was like 2003).   I left the price sticker on it too, so I got a good laugh when I dug it out last time.  :D

Seeing how crazy the prices are actually make me think about selling some of it.  I haven't had the JagCD out of it's box in probably 15 years.

• Like 1

I had an original release Jag and CD- when my first son was born in 2003 I honestly thought I’d never play video games again. I sold both (the Jag CD boxed I sold for £30 ?) along with all my other machines. PC engine duo and GT, Virtual Boy..... plus all the games. 

I got about 250 for the lot. It’s my biggest regret in life! 
A few years ago I happened across Atari Age and was amazed at what was going on. I managed to get a boxed Jag for £130 but found no such luck with debuting the CD- that’s now a lost cause. 
I have gone in to rebuild my collection of not only Jag but I also picked up a really cheap boxed 7800 so now I collect homebrews for Jag, 7800 and 2600. I’ve since gone in to grab a Vextrex and have found some great homebrew games for that too. I also cane across a Colecovision for under £100 so snapped that up. 
move got a pretty reasonable games room now with about 30+ consoles and handhelds but it’s the Atari homebrews I love the most. 
So I may never have the CD again but I’ll be playing Last Strike and Rebooted next month for sure. 
Oh and the community on here is aces. ?

• Like 2

I would love for more people to be able to experience a Jaguar.   If that ever becomes a thing, let me know, might have some hardware to donate.

As for me, I've always made it a point to keep a Jaguar setup around while selling off pieces of it here and there.

Just need a Jaguar setup, a CD unit, a skunkboard, Bubsy, Raiden, Cybermorph, Doom, and Joust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

What if atariage offered a rent-a-jag service. People could put down a deposit + rental payment, and then rent a jag for a few months, then return it for the deposit. I think Howard Johnson's hotels used to do this with sega game gears.

Back in college I would rent a Jaguar over a weekend from the local video store.  That's how I originally got addicted to Tempest 2000 before bought my own.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, thanatos said:

Back in college I would rent a Jaguar over a weekend from the local video store.  That's how I originally got addicted to Tempest 2000 before bought my own.

The only time I ever remember seeing anything Jag back in the day was magazine ads... I vaguely remember seeing a stack of consoles at Babages (maybe it was software etc then?) but was probably too distracted by the heavily discounted amiga software to really even notice...

I purchased my first Jag on the test launch. I live in NJ and am around 15 minutes from NYC. One morning I got word from one of my friends that the Jag was launched and selling in some placed in the city. I called around to random mom and pop game stores and one store had ONE in stock. The guy was nice enough to hold it for me while I drove in. I remember being pretty excited driving through the Lincoln Tunnel back into NJ....couldn't wait to get home and hook it up!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, eightbit said:

I purchased my first Jag on the test launch. I live in NJ and am around 15 minutes from NYC. One morning I got word from one of my friends that the Jag was launched and selling in some placed in the city. I called around to random mom and pop game stores and one store had ONE in stock. The guy was nice enough to hold it for me while I drove in. I remember being pretty excited driving through the Lincoln Tunnel back into NJ....couldn't wait to get home and hook it up!

When you got it set up , how did you like it? the game and the console experience? 

5 hours ago, thanatos said:

I bought a loose Atari Karts at a used game store for $4.95.   (Though this was like 2003).   I left the price sticker on it too, so I got a good laugh when I dug it out last time.  :D

Seeing how crazy the prices are actually make me think about selling some of it.  I haven't had the JagCD out of it's box in probably 15 years.

you sir are in possession of a Holy Cartridge of gaming.

17 hours ago, marcio_napoli said:

Battlemorph on cart is something I'd drool all over, REALLY hope Carl finds time to deliver this.  It's one of the very single reasons to own a Jag CD!  

Please Carl, here's our money!

Also I'm alone on this, maybe there're two of us, but I really love Checkered flag!   

Reason is I really don't care for playing racing games for the, hum... race.  I love to watch the graphics and just drive around with no pressure to finish in first (maybe Club Drive sounds like a good fit??) 

Despite the framerate (which I also don't mind), CF actually has awesome graphics and if you're not actually racing, it's good simple arcade fun. 

Now, where's that Battlemorph on cart again? :D

I love checkered flag too! for the exact reason you do as well. I am well aware of its limitations but that is what i find makes it fun to play- u get to go speeding and cruising around the tracks and once you get the nature of steering the car, its easy to out run and keep ahead of the other racer drone cars. Its the first ever racing game i played where i placed first on the first time i played it. 

Racing games with realistic physics and damage to the car with a tough A.I. that acts like a real person and learns your moves and adapts is all well and good but those type of racers are harder to win at. You constantly have to bring your best game and best precision in playing it to place first or in the top 3. SOmetimes, a guy just wants to race with ease and no serious concentration.  kinda like how i drive :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

When you got it set up , how did you like it? the game and the console experience? 

I loved it. Cybermorph was obviously the only game I had (pack in game) as the store had no games... and that game gets a lot of flack today. But new back then it was pretty amazing. Very smooth, perfect speech (remember speech was not very good up until then...not counting CD audio of course) and the missions, collecting stuff and shooting enemies were right up my alley. I still knew this was a launch title and things can only get better, but it was a glimpse to the horsepower of the thing and my friends and I were pretty impressed.  Later of course came Tempest 2000 with all of those explosions and incredible techno soundtrack coming from a cartridge....we were blown away. I love the controller too. I personally consider it one of the most comfortable controllers to use. I which I had some adapters for them to use them with other Atari consoles (and Colecovision) to be honest

It's easy for a lot of people to look at it all now (especially people that were not around when this was a new thing) to discount it and say it sucks. But for me being there, it was a great thing that I had really high hopes for. Those hopes unfortunately did not pan out until recent years with all of the great homebrews available now.

I also purchased previous consoles on (or near) launch. SMS, NES, 7800, 2600 jr. I was a bit too young to convince my parents to buy me a VCS or a Colecovision (or Intellivision)....but I tried ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

Glad I didn‘t need the money yet, so I could hold on to my two units (the second ‚spare‘ bought for a very reasonable amount on AA). I don‘t insist on boxes or plan on Catboxes and probably won‘t ever play BSG but managed to find quite a lot of the catalog at reasonable prices over the years. Playwise I very much hope for the GD to be available soon and eventually be able to run CD games. I should reduce forum time in favor of playing time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

Atari Karts in brand new sealed was sold for $494.00 some months ago.

39.95€ (roughly 50 bucks) loose from rewindgames in 2015, who as a dealer should be assumed to be aware of going prices. Added a box for 2,50£ when 16/32 sold off its inventory. 

(Have to admit I played Mario Kart 8 a lot more.)

I found recent sales CIB for 123€ and 100€ (plus shipping) on EBay.de Lots of crazy offers but actual sales are more reasonable (if paying 100€ for a 25 year old game of medium reputation can be called sensible at all). 

(Mutant Penguins 60€ with free US shipping on July 20th.)

Stay calm, set up a search and wait for nice offers... I snagged several loose carts for under 20$ that way. 

• Like 1

There was recently an "untested" "as is" jaguar and jag CD combo without hookups that popped up on ebay for a buy it now of $499. The seller had no other game items, so maybe it was actually just a matter of procuring ac adapters and video cables...  I knew it was a good deal by jag standards, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it at that price.  If the jag and jag cd didn't work, I knew the idea that I spent $499 for broken non-working items would just kill me.

I checked 24 hours later and it had been purchased.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

There was recently an "untested" "as is" jaguar and jag CD combo without hookups that popped up on ebay for a buy it now of $799.

Fixed that for you.  I saw the same listing and made what I thought was a reasonable offer of $550.  The seller replied it had been sold.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Fixed that for you.  I saw the same listing and made what I thought was a reasonable offer of $550.  The seller replied it had been sold.

No, that one's different. It was this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Console-And-Atari-Jaguar-CD-Attachment-Read-Description-/324274606047?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=QO9PJXaSB49oIH9Qc6PxXInNy6s%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

About twenty years ago, I ended up selling off my Atari Falcon030 for a fraction of what I paid for it.  After realizing afterward that I'd have a hard time finding another Falcon030 at all, much less at the same price, I decided against selling off any more of my Atari systems, because I knew it was likely that the same thing would happen again if I did.  So, I still have most of my original Jaguar collection, much of which was bought at clearance prices in the 1999-2000 time frame from GoAtari and other long-gone Atari vendors.  I did resell one of my JagCD units, but I still have another one, although I try to use it sparingly.  I'm very glad that I held on to it all; replacing that part of my collection today would take more time and money than I could spare.

• Like 3