Caterpiggle

Radio Shack Part No. 275-1422 Keyboard

Hello to all !

Anyone who can tell me what is this generic oddly internal keyboard for which computers or terminals ? I would not find anything on Bing.com , nothing.

Tandy sold bare CoCo keyboards, TI-99/4A keyboards, ADAM keyboards, Model III keyboards, etc...

12 hours ago, JamesD said:

Tandy sold bare CoCo keyboards, TI-99/4A keyboards, ADAM keyboards, Model III keyboards, etc...

None of them above. I will drop the photo soon in this weekend, I hope. Because this keyboard has really weird labels on the key caps. It does not have any "Return" or "Enter" for that matters.

23 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

1977 catalog page 94. 

Generic keyboard for projects.

rs.jpg

Thank you for your search and found the match number 275-1422 but it is still NOT match what I have it. Please look at the photo below. There you go. The box front generic keyboard is not match to that black keyboard. So I want to know which exactly terminals that are using the very same keyboard below.

DSCN2972.JPG

DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2983.JPG

Edited by Caterpiggle

1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

Thank you for your search and found the match number 275-1422 but it is still NOT match what I have it. Please look at the photo below. There you go. The box front generic keyboard is not match to that black keyboard. So I want to know which exactly terminals that are using the very same keyboard below.

DSCN2972.JPG

DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2983.JPG

Does it have the foam & foil contacts under keys?  That would be Keytronic in a nutshell.

No foam or foil contacts , nothing. Just bare plastic. Keytronic may be but which terminals or computers that using the exactly same keyboard above. It does not even have flat ribbon cable, nothing.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:45 PM, Caterpiggle said:

No foam or foil contacts , nothing. Just bare plastic. Keytronic may be but which terminals or computers that using the exactly same keyboard above. It does not even have flat ribbon cable, nothing.

No circuit board?  That's really weird

53 minutes ago, JamesD said:

No circuit board?  That's really weird

There you go ! Just tiny metal pins below the key caps. Yes, 2 pins each. At least can you tell me which terminals using that kind "unique" keyboard style ?

DSCN2986.JPG

DSCN2988.JPG

30 minutes ago, Caterpiggle said:

There you go ! Just tiny metal pins below the key caps. Yes, 2 pins each. At least can you tell me which terminals using that kind "unique" keyboard style ?

DSCN2986.JPG

DSCN2988.JPG

Those look like solder connections. 
I've never seen a circuitboardless keytronc, but if you pull a keycap (carefully) I'm still betting it has a little piece of foam with some foil glued to it.

No, I will not pulling anything on any of those key caps. Why ? Too fragile to breaking down easily. 

So must created my own circuit board as key matrix ? Still don't know which terminals that might using that kind of keyboard ? Heh ... 

Must be hard to find which terminals that match keyboard above ?

That is a bare keyboard that you have to wire up to go with anything.  It works with nothing as is.
*edit*
Technically, it works with anything if you wire up the key matrix properly for a given machine

Edited by JamesD

One remaining mystery to me. Why there are NO "Return" or "Enter" key caps at all ??? Do you think "Line Feed" or "Here is" key caps might mean for "Return" instead ???

I wonder if that keyboard was originally designed for something like a teletype.

Some teleprinters had a "Here is" key, which transmitted a fixed sequence of 20 or 22 characters, programmable by breaking tabs off a drum. This sequence could also be transmitted automatically upon receipt of an ENQ (control E) signal, if enabled. This was commonly used to identify a station; the operator could press the key to send the station identifier to the other end, or the remote station could trigger its transmission by sending the ENQ character, essentially asking "who are you?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprinter#Control_characters

• Like 1

RS probably stuck whatever overstock they had at the time in that box.  I think I bought a Coleco Adam keyboard from RS for a few dollars.

Since there's a few unlabeled keys, they were probably assignable for a data terminal.  It would be interesting to see a key cap removed.  The key shape and large character font looks just like a Model I Hi-Tek version.

Hello to all,

Thank you for all your help and hint. Do you have any idea what it might be worthy ? Is that rare piece as circuitboardless keyboard ?