IGNORED

Simple games

The mini games thread got me thinking about modern games that have

a learning curve and replay value comparable to Atari games.

I recentl bought my First GBA game, Chu Chu Rocket because of how much

fun it was on DC and apart from a minor control misunderstanding it's

stilll a great game because of the simplicity.

Wario ware was mentioned and I'll be buying this game next.

Also Mr Driller totaly rocks ;)

What other modern games are so simple you can't put them down ?

Monkey Ball and Monkey Ball 2.

Any Mario Party. A lot of the games suck, but some are quite compelling, and each has a mode where you can just pick that game

Admittedly all of those are best w/ multiplayer.

Also, if you want the ultimate in simple games, though arguably not that grabbing in the long run, check out my gamebuttons:

http://kisrael.com/features/gb.html

Games entirely self contained in simple HTML grey form pushbuttons, for both input and output of the games they play.

(Also, you might want to check out the Java version of joustpong, http://alienbill.com/abp/java/joustpong/ , a game I'm tyring to port to the 2600.)

Dreamcast games I find simple to pick up and play include Virtua Tennis and Sega Bass Fishing.

I also find DOA2 and Soul Calibur easy to play, which is saying a lot because they're fighting games. After struggling with games like MK and Street Fighter, and getting fed up with trying to remember insanely long button combinations necessary to have any success in the game, these two were a pure joy to play.

Despite that past experience, I picked up SF Alpha 3 for the DC recently thanks to TRU finally marking it down. Flood of bad memories came back. It looks pretty, but IMO is almost impossible to play. You won't get anywhere if you can't remember and pull off the multiple step moves. Why make controlling a game so difficult? Takes the fun away.

Dreamcast games I find simple to pick up and play include Virtua Tennis and Sega Bass Fishing.

I also find DOA2 and Soul Calibur easy to play, which is saying a lot because they're fighting games. After struggling with games like MK and Street Fighter, and getting fed up with trying to remember insanely long button combinations necessary to have any success in the game, these two were a pure joy to play.

Despite that past experience, I picked up SF Alpha 3 for the DC recently thanks to TRU finally marking it down. Flood of bad memories came back. It looks pretty, but IMO is almost impossible to play. You won't get anywhere if you can't remember and pull off the multiple step moves. Why make controlling a game so difficult? Takes the fun away.

I'm a big fan of simple fighters/brawlers. Powerstone and its sequel are great on the DC in those terms...big flashy easy full-3D fighters, and the sequel is even four players! Same w/ Smash Bros.

And Marvel vs Capcom has a way of dialing down the complexity too.

I'm not sure if any of those are 'simple' in the way the first poster was thinking of, however.

I'll add REZ to the list. I could (and do ;) ) play this for "hours" .

bloody roar extreme is an easy yet fun fighter

As far as fighting games go I "want" to spend days memorizing combos and specials,

I want the bosses to pound me into the dirt.

I hired DOA2 for PS2 it was an overnight thing back when it was new.

I finished it that night ....

It may be fun (and DOA2 was fun for the whole 4 hours it took) but I don't

see any replay value in an easy fighter exept 2 player vs mode.