Jump to content
tmop69

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

Recommended Posts

Ski99-

I know nothing about the compiler, but this game does not refresh a whole screen of graphics- it is an upward scroller, and updates the screen with a single scroll.

In some games with an upward scroll a new line of graphics is PRINTed, taking care of the new bottom line and moving everything else upwards.

In this game however the screen is scrolled with an empty PRINT and new graphics added with HCHAR.

It may be worth amending the empty PRINT statements to PRINT " " - see lines 1770, 2110, 3440.  Only the game play print is essential.

Worth trying anyway!

 

Trueman- I don't think his NOTEWORTHY has been compiled yet? It was in Extended Basic.

 

 

s


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is with how PRINT is handled. Try this program in BASIC and XB:


10 CALL HCHAR(24,1,42,32)
20 PRINT
30 GOTO 30
 

BASIC scrolls the screen, leaving the lower line alone. XB blanks the lower line except for the edge characters and then scrolls. Don't know what the fix is

 

(Edit) - One fix would be to run this in XB256. Instead of PRINT to scroll the screen you can use CALL LINK("SCRLUP"). That should run properly.

The lines to fix are 1770, 2110, 3440. Then it seems to work fine.

 

(Edit) - In XB, instead of PRINT you could try this: PRINT "  28 spaces    ";

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fix, well done- replace the PRINT with

PRINT "                            ";

does the trick very well.  That semi colon pending print at the end is the magic word...

 

 

 

Gold star!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

The problem is with how PRINT is handled. Try this program in BASIC and XB:


10 CALL HCHAR(24,1,42,32)
20 PRINT
30 GOTO 30
 

BASIC scrolls the screen, leaving the lower line alone. XB blanks the lower line except for the edge characters and then scrolls. Don't know what the fix is

 

(Edit) - One fix would be to run this in XB256. Instead of PRINT to scroll the screen you can use CALL LINK("SCRLUP"). That should run properly.

The lines to fix are 1770, 2110, 3440. Then it seems to work fine.

 

(Edit) - In XB, instead of PRINT you could try this: PRINT "  28 spaces    ";

 

I'm ageing... I was sure to have checked for such PRINTs 🙂  Many thanks for the help!

 

I'm preparing the compiled version... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackbox said:

Trueman- I don't think his NOTEWORTHY has been compiled yet? It was in Extended Basic.

 

 

s


 

 

Not yet released, but I've already compiled it. I'm not satisfied with a couple of things that I have to fix. It's coming soon. It should be the last one from Trueman.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slight further adjustment required to the skiing program unless you can live with the first line to be placed with HCHAR being blanked-   the routine for the ski run needs to have added an initial pending print with 28 spaces-

100 PRINT "                                   ";

110 FOR T=65 TO 92

120 CALL HCHAR(24,3,T,20)

130 PRINT "                                   ";

140 FOR Y=1 TO 300

150 NEXT Y

160 NEXT T

 

This seems to run identically in TIB and XB.

 

s
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weekend is ended, but here there are some new compiled games to start the new week! 🙂

 

Dedalo 3D. A nice maze game, better than the German version;

 

Dragon Combat. A platform game;

 

Escape from Wizard's Keep. An RPG maze game;

 

Grand Prix. Racing game;

 

- Othello. For 2 players or vs the computer. It was requested in this thread. It's the only one I have that has the vs the computer feature;

 

Robotron 2020 (aka Killer Robot). A Robotron/Berzerk style game. Terribly slow if not compiled! ;-)

 

Have fun!

 

 

 

[GAME] Dedalo 3D (1984)(Bianchi Roberto - Papersoft 8)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Dragon Combat (198x)(Paul Akers)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Escape from Wizard's Keep (1983)(Jack Kitchens - 99er 10-1983)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Grand Prix (198x)(Squintani Marco)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Othello (1980)(J. Crawford)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Robotron 2020 (aka Killer Robot) (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.0.9.xlsx

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@senior_falcon

 

When I've compiled Robotron 2020 I was experiencing a bug in the compiled version. I've found that the code is using the CALL POSITION with a sprite that was not created yet on the screen and the X, Y variables in this case have a different value in XB and in a compiled code.

 

Try this two lines to check the problem:

 

10 CALL POSITION(#1,X,Y,#2,OX,OY)
20 PRINT X,Y,OX,OY

 

X,Y,OX,OY are all 0 in XB, but 194,1 in the compiled code.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, tmop69 said:

@senior_falcon

 

When I've compiled Robotron 2020 I was experiencing a bug in the compiled version. I've found that the code is using the CALL POSITION with a sprite that was not created yet on the screen and the X, Y variables in this case have a different value in XB and in a compiled code.

 

Try this two lines to check the problem:

 

10 CALL POSITION(#1,X,Y,#2,OX,OY)
20 PRINT X,Y,OX,OY

 

X,Y,OX,OY are all 0 in XB, but 194,1 in the compiled code.

 

 

This seems like a very obscure problem. In fact I doubt this would be a problem for anybody in the real world. Why would you want to find out the position of an uncreated sprite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

This seems like a very obscure problem. In fact I doubt this would be a problem for anybody in the real world. Why would you want to find out the position of an uncreated sprite?

It is the original code in this game that is checking the position and if it's 0,0 spawns the special enemy. Since the same code was working differently in XB and after compilation, I checked and found this. A curious thing is that in the compiled code the sprite is invisible, but can respond to COINC commmand. Tested with Classic 99.

I fixed the check on the 0,0 values with 194,1 and the compiled code was working.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tmop69 said:

It is the original code in this game that is checking the position and if it's 0,0 spawns the special enemy. Since the same code was working differently in XB and after compilation, I checked and found this. A curious thing is that in the compiled code the sprite is invisible, but can respond to COINC commmand. Tested with Classic 99.

I fixed the check on the 0,0 values with 194,1 and the compiled code was working.

 

That seems like a good way to deal with this. The program is initialized the same in XB and EA5 so this should always work. In the sprite table in VDP ram, the row and column values for all the sprites are initialized to >C0 and >00. XB reports them as 0,0. Any other values are reported properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 5:32 AM, senior_falcon said:

The problem is with how PRINT is handled. Try this program in BASIC and XB:


10 CALL HCHAR(24,1,42,32)
20 PRINT
30 GOTO 30
 

BASIC scrolls the screen, leaving the lower line alone. XB blanks the lower line except for the edge characters and then scrolls. Don't know what the fix is

 

(Edit) - One fix would be to run this in XB256. Instead of PRINT to scroll the screen you can use CALL LINK("SCRLUP"). That should run properly.

The lines to fix are 1770, 2110, 3440. Then it seems to work fine.

 

(Edit) - In XB, instead of PRINT you could try this: PRINT "  28 spaces    ";

Well RXB would be:

 

10  CALL HCHAR(24,1,31,2,24,3,32,28,24,31,31,2) 

20 PRINT 

30 GOTO 30

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RXB said:

Well RXB would be:

 

10  CALL HCHAR(24,1,31,2,24,3,32,28,24,31,31,2) 

20 PRINT 

30 GOTO 30

 

That fails for two reasons.

1-It is no better than XB. The asterisks are erased when PRINT forces the scroll.

2-Even if it worked it cannot be compiled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

That fails for two reasons.

1-It is no better than XB. The asterisks are erased when PRINT forces the scroll.

2-Even if it worked it cannot be compiled.

1-What asterisks? There was no mention of them? Just replace character 31 with 42 in that case.

**                             **

XB PRINT does not ERASE anything it just scrolls the screen up the prints a blank line of 32 characters space character.

In that case RXB:

10 PRINT

20  CALL HCHAR(24,1,42,2,24,31,42,2) 

30 GOTO 30

or this would copy entire bottom line before PRINT in RXB:

10 CALL HGET(24,1,32,A$)

20 PRINT

30 CALL HPUT(23,1,32,A$)

40 GOTO 40

 

2-Sorry RXB is better then XB and you only support XB. Your complier your choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some other games:

 

- R-Bert: a nice Q+Bert clone;

- Gomoku: a classic board game, with now a really fast response when the computer is moving;

- Gomoku III: a variant of the Gomuku with selectable board size;

- Black Jack: nice Casinò game;

Moon Survival: a text adventure.

 

We have now reached #81 compiled games! 🙂 

 

[GAME] R-Bert (1984)(Dave and David Reed)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] GoMoKu (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] GoMoKu III (1980)(Jon Burt)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Black Jack (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Moon Survival (198x)(Gene Hitz)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.1.2.xlsx

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New games to start the week end:

 

- Simon's Saucer: a classical game. Simon's clone with a space theme;

- Assedio: defend the wall from barbarians;

- Tombstone City Slot: a slot machine with TI's Tombstone City graphics;

- The Dragon's Lair: a text based RPG.

 

 

[GAME] Simon's Saucer (1983)(Emerald Valley Publishing)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Assedio (1984)(M.M.G. Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Tombstone City Slot (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] The Dragon's Lair (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.1.2.xlsx

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 new games for the week end:

 

- Noteworthy, a platform for R. Trueman. @blackbox are there other games from this guy? I've compiled 8.

- Warlock, a Sabre Wolf clone.

- Hunt the Wumpus, text version of this classic game.

 

 

 

[GAME] Noteworthy (198x)(R.Trueman)[Compiled by TMOP]_8.zip [GAME] Warlock (1985)(PowerSofr)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Hunt The Wumpus (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.1.4.xlsx

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! The Tombstone City Slot game was written by me around 2012.  I remember having to stay in a tent out in the garden whilst dusty work was being done in the house update by the contractors sent from the Council .... I got so bored in there I wrote this game.  I remember when I figured out how to do the nudges I shouted "eureka!" out loud and startled some of the workers. 

 

Also Gauntlet of Death was one of the first TI games I wrote back in 2010.  I've just sat and played it again now and it's awfully hard!  It was inspired by the game of the same name on the Radioshack TRS-80 model 1 with similar sound effects to the arcade machine Targ whenever the player moves.  Thankyou for compiling these games, although I thought the Tombstone Slots was compiled already but I must be wrong.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Ha! The Tombstone City Slot game was written by me around 2012.  I remember having to stay in a tent out in the garden whilst dusty work was being done in the house update by the contractors sent from the Council .... I got so bored in there I wrote this game.  I remember when I figured out how to do the nudges I shouted "eureka!" out loud and startled some of the workers. 

 

Also Gauntlet of Death was one of the first TI games I wrote back in 2010.  I've just sat and played it again now and it's awfully hard!  It was inspired by the game of the same name on the Radioshack TRS-80 model 1 with similar sound effects to the arcade machine Targ whenever the player moves.  Thankyou for compiling these games, although I thought the Tombstone Slots was compiled already but I must be wrong.

 

Thanks for the clarifications. I've updated the file name for Tombstone City Slot with the correct year and author, so I'll upload it correctly in the next MEGA PACK. 🙂 I have a compiled version, however it's a single XB+LM file, without EA5 and I want to have a SSS, so I've recompiled again.

 

I'm not a fan of slot machine games, but this is a very fun and original version! ;-) 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are all the ten games by Roland Trueman that Stainless Software published:

BEETLE RUN, THE

BILLY BALL AT THE HATCHERY

BILLY BALL PLAYS CATCH

BILLY BALL TO THE RESCUE

CRAZY CLIFF

FLIP FLAP

FLOORAWAY

GEM GRABBER

NOTEWORTHY

SECOND FLOOR (Flooraway 2!)
 

All on my website for download and to be found in any repository of Jim Petersons Public Domain programs.

Not published by Stainless, but also available, Roland wrote a seasonal game "Reindeers Revenge" (it's on my website)

In addition I am sure other software houses must have published his games, but I can find no record of them.
 

When a very well known UK TI user group leader (who long since abandoned the TI)  reviewed Crazy Cliff in a popular commercial magazine and gave it a damning review- 0% for playability - Roland bailed out to the Amiga.  In total Stainless sold just 51 cassettes written by Roland (he came in to programming just as cassette sales were collapsing as modules became giveaways and owners disappeared) .

 I was able to obtain his consent to release his TI games as PD and add them to the Jim Peterson collection-  and so they were preserved.  Alas I have no way to contact him to let him know about Rasmus fine new Billy Ball game.
 

s
 

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...