IGNORED

The ultimate palette

Asmusr

• 4 weeks later...

You could also ask yourself what your palette would be if you had more slots to fill. The Amstrad CPC uses what I think is a straight RGB palette with 3 values each, for a total of 27 colours. Some are quite similar to eachother, some are headache inducing. 16 is a nice number for a palette, exactly one nybble and I suppose if you would extend it to 32 you might just as well want to define it dynamically from an even larger set than have a fixed set.

Unless anyone already did so, one should put the TMS (TI/MSX), C64, Intellivision and possibly others (VIC-20?) next to eachother, roughly ordered after type of colours. I know that actual perception of the colours depend on the machine and TV so it wouldn't be perfect (the C64 itself comes in at least two different versions, plus that in emulation there easily are 5-10 versions of the palette) but give some hints what is universally accepted as ideal colours.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

The Amstrad CPC uses what I think is a straight RGB palette with 3 values each, for a total of 27 colours. Some are quite similar to eachother, some are headache inducing.

Yes on the CPC you could choose 2, 4, or 16 colours (depending on the mode) from the bigger palette of 27. That was really advanced for its time. The F18A can do much more, of course, which is why a started this topic. If we had a better but compatible palette, it would be simple to allow F18A owners to choose that in a game without changing the graphics.