IGNORED

Anyone willing to lend out a Lantronix server for FujiNet testing?

jamm

We've gotten reports that FujiNet's modem emulation sometimes hangs when communicating with Atari BBS's online. We haven't had luck getting this to happen in other modem tests, and we're assuming these all have a Lantronix servers on the other end.  If anyone has one of these that they could spare for a few weeks to test, it'd be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, jamm said:

We've gotten reports that FujiNet's modem emulation sometimes hangs when communicating with Atari BBS's online. We haven't had luck getting this to happen in other modem tests, and we're assuming these all have a Lantronix servers on the other end.  If anyone has one of these that they could spare for a few weeks to test, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I think I have one but where on earth would it be needed?

Please take in mind that there are at least two types of lantronix device servers that operate with a different telnet protocol.

The MSS serie appears to give a more stable and genuine connection.

The UDS serie gives just a very basic connection without any handshaking or other intelligent acknowledgement.

This difference for instance leads to double characters (no matter  what setting used on the uds side) when a Lantronix from the UDS serie is used as a modem to host BBS's when calling in with the Mac OS x terminal, and other terminals. While this issue does (and should) not (!) occur on more improved telnet handshaking. When the BBS operates with a Lantronix MSS the connection works great with Mac os terminal and appears to be more compatible and stable by any means.

I can not lend anything out, but I hope this information is already quite interesting for further steps.

10 hours ago, slx said:

I think I have one but where on earth would it be needed?

Good point - I should've mentioned that I'm in Tucson, Arizona!

10 hours ago, Marius said:

Please take in mind that there are at least two types of lantronix device servers that operate with a different telnet protocol.

The MSS serie appears to give a more stable and genuine connection.

The UDS serie gives just a very basic connection without any handshaking or other intelligent acknowledgement.

This difference for instance leads to double characters (no matter  what setting used on the uds side) when a Lantronix from the UDS serie is used as a modem to host BBS's when calling in with the Mac OS x terminal, and other terminals. While this issue does (and should) not (!) occur on more improved telnet handshaking. When the BBS operates with a Lantronix MSS the connection works great with Mac os terminal and appears to be more compatible and stable by any means.

I can not lend anything out, but I hope this information is already quite interesting for further steps.

Thanks - that's great info.  I'm assuming Atari BBS's are running on the UDS primarily, but we'll definitely have to get details on the particular model.

I have a uds.. Don't remember the model. I can send it today by flat rate priority mail. 

Mauricio

Ps: I have used it for originaring "calls". Never for respond to a "call", but I am pretty sure it has that capability. 

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manterola said:

I have a uds.. Don't remember the model. I can send it today by flat rate priority mail. 

Mauricio

Ps: I have used it for originaring "calls". Never for respond to a "call", but I am pretty sure it has that capability. 

Thanks very much for the offer!  I'll contact you via PM.

Just to add a bit to the discussion, I have noticed that the Lantronix device I own have something more sophisticated regarding telnet IAC than simple on or off. 

For example, I can do atdt to a pure telnet server and I can get the login prompt, so telnet negotiation works. But then when doing files transfers in any protocol, it just works, so IAC 0xff s an other codes are not interpreted and just moved to the serial interface and to the Atari.  I don't know which method can be used to automatically know when to turn off and turn on the IAC processing, interpretation and generation of IAC codes. 

On 10/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, jamm said:

Good point - I should've mentioned that I'm in Tucson, Arizona!

Thanks - that's great info.  I'm assuming Atari BBS's are running on the UDS primarily, but we'll definitely have to get details on the particular model.

Those assumptions might be right, but perhaps it is 'dangerous' to conclude too soon about that; especially when you want to 'tackle' issues. My BBS (although offline) mainly operated with a Lantronix MSS100. I have done quite a lot of testing back then, and I found that the MSS serie was in almost every case the best choice. It could be interesting to check what the difference is between the two in operation. 

By the way, when thinking of 'hanging' connections, the first thing I was thinking of, perhaps there is something going on with flow control. That the Atari BBS or the Lantronix is expecting some XON/XOFF which is not coming? 

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest emulate MSS because it supports DNS resolution so I can type ATDT broadway1.lorexddns.net instead of 96.235.16.79.

That makes it good for BobTerm, et al.

Edit: I use a UDS-10 and have had trouble with double characters, etc. This means you must use RAW protocol, etc. IIRC, the MSS fixes that as well. Correct me if I'm wrong @_The Doctor__.

Edited by Kyle22

@Kyle22 we aren't trying to emulate a Lantronix, and nobody in their right mind would ever do such a thing. The whole reason for #FujiNet, was to put these god awful devices in a bonfire where they belong.

The reason for borrowing one of these devices was to figure out the failure mode we are seeing on the MODEM side, which has since been figured out (we just have to figure out how to deal with it, now).

-Thom