IGNORED

Question about ROM variants and label colors

Lately I've been looking for Armor Battle and Space Battle cartridges specifically of the 'fast ROM variant'. If you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, you can read more about them on this  similar thread. The fast ROM variants were released some time (nobody seems to be sure exactly when) after the slow variants, and white label cartridges weren't released until after Intellivision Inc. formed in 1984. Following this, my main question is would I be safe in assuming that white label cartridges I see on Ebay are more than likely to contain the fast ROM variants?

I wouldn't assume anything with the white label cartridges; both rom variations of Auto Racing have been found with white labels.  But someone who knows more about them can say.  With Mattel Space Battle, the instructions will tell you if it's the revised rom.  You can also tell by the graphics on the map screen.  Mattel blue box space network cartridges might all be revised roms.  With Armor Battle the colours used in the game are slightly different.  With loose Mattel cartridges I'd say most are revised rom and that it's even more likely with those made in honk kong but that's speculation on my part.

Edited by mr_me

I don't know much about the Hong Kong cartridges, why would they be even more likely fast ROMs than the white labels? Were they issued after? I ask because the copy of Armor Battle I own has a red Hong Kong sticker, and is actually the slow variant.

With Space Battle, what are the specific graphical differences and Armor Battle the specific coloring differences I should be looking for?

What I said was, among the Mattel cartridges, those made in Hong Kong would be more likely to have the revised rom compared with Mattel cartridges made in USA.  That's because Mattel made everything in the USA at first and Hong Kong came a bit later.  The other thing I would say is, among Mattel cartridges, if the box has a reference to the keyboard component in the lower right corner, it is more likely to be the original rom.

Armor Battle original:

armorbattle_org.thumb.png.d0cc8f612ff1fcc468d2ac30894c62cc.png

Armor Batle revised:

armorbattle_rev.thumb.png.9ebaa9ee0fc401a24942a12e3dc4ac2b.png

Space Battle original:

spacebattle_org.thumb.png.085635b2b8773149e044551a6a493149.png

Space Battle revised:

spacebattle_rev.thumb.png.c09f369c94707bf5b27b999e863109c3.png

• Thanks 1