IGNORED

Atari 7800 Prototypes

classicgamer74

14 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Your issue with Missing in Action seems to be emulator related. Same thing with Rescue on Fractalus.

Mitch

I think the current rom image of Fractalus I have does the same on actual hardware. Just goes into a demo auto pilot mode with the upper half of the screen as seen in this video.

Ah..well that explains it as I'm not using a special cart and just had it loaded up on my Mateos when I tried it in the past. The auto pilot stuff I believe is normal it is only the upper graphics that needed the extra RAM then? I mean it isn't a playable game regardless correct?

On 10/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, classicgamer74 said:

In today's episode I discuss the few prototypes for the Atari 7800.  Are there any that I missed?  Were there more games planned than the ones I listed?  

Rampart? Tempest? Road Riot 4WD? Crystal Castles? Moon Patrol?

I enjoyed your video. :)

11 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

Thanks for your feedback.  Can you guys recommend where I can get a better Rescue rom and which emulator is the best for 7800? I usually just default to Retroarch. 

The proper/correct ROM dump and header...

Rescue On Fractalus (Prototype) (Correct Header).a78

...plays fine under BupSystem and A7800

Retroarch relies on the antiquated ProSystem emulator which should be avoided. 

BupSystem and A7800 are much closer to accurate console emulation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a subject I’m really interested in. Of the prototypes known, which are the farthest along, and could potentially be released? I think that was done with Klax. Have there been others?

I’d love to see Rampart get over the hump, especially with trackball and Atarivox support. I think Tengen released it for NES and SMS, so maybe some of that work is transferable?  That’s not to mention the port on the Lynx! 

If we’re talking Atari Games, ‘System 1 & 2’ games probably have the most potential to make good ports without watering them down. And they’d basically all bring something new to the platform. 

Fractalus looks to be pretty far along as the graphics are essentially all there already and the demo just lacks what I assume is any AI and some of the other controls so that you can actually land, let in the pilots..etc. That could actually be part of the issue now that I think about it, is how the standard controller interface would be done on the 7800? I assume the difficulty switches would be used along with maybe the select or a combo of pressing one of the buttons while moving the controller up/down, perhaps to change the speed etc?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Weren't there some known protos that were thought to be finished but simply not discovered yet? Moon Patrol is the one I am thinking of but I thought there was one more. 

Seems so, according to Atariprotos.com:

http://www.atariprotos.com/rumormill/7800/7800rumor.htm

Hunting one of these games down and getting it released would be pretty awesome.

59 minutes ago, classicgamer74 said:

Thanks for all your help and advice, guys.  Much appreciated.  Something does seem to be wrong with my rom of MIA.  Does anyone have one that I might try? 

The difficulty switches are important for this ROM, search AA or google for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1