IGNORED

Not sure where to start this thread but lets put it here for now...

marko1301

2 hours ago, zzip said:

This was always one of my big issues with the Pi's.   Cables on all sides!  Impossible to have on on your desk and make it look tidy.  The 400 looks promising in that regard.   Does it still lack a power button though?

Good question.  This is one of the design decisions that baffle me for the V4SA too.  No power button.  At least on the Pi you can get a micro USB cable that has an inline power switch.  For the V4SA I have yet found a mini-USB cable that has an inline power button.  I did find a USB hub that has individual power switches on it, but that has to be closer to the wall, and doesn't provjde the full voltage, as the A4000 jeyboard adapter I built doesn't work through it...

Like do they expect you to leave it on all the time?

43 minutes ago, leech said:

Good question.  This is one of the design decisions that baffle me for the V4SA too.  No power button.  At least on the Pi you can get a micro USB cable that has an inline power switch.  For the V4SA I have yet found a mini-USB cable that has an inline power button.  I did find a USB hub that has individual power switches on it, but that has to be closer to the wall, and doesn't provjde the full voltage, as the A4000 jeyboard adapter I built doesn't work through it...

Like do they expect you to leave it on all the time?

It really should have more than just an on-off switch.  It needs the ability to soft power-off after an OS shutdown because it runs OSs that often need to flush their buffers and clean-up at shutdown to prevent corruption.    I do have a power switch on a PI that runs KODI read-only (streaming media from the network) so there isn't much risk of corruption, and if there was I would simply rewrite the image- no data lost. 

It does seem like they expect it to be on all the time.  I'm sure they'd argue that it consumes less power than many other devices do in sleep mode (depending on pi model),  but still I'd rather shut it down.

7 minutes ago, zzip said:

It really should have more than just an on-off switch.  It needs the ability to soft power-off after an OS shutdown because it runs OSs that often need to flush their buffers and clean-up at shutdown to prevent corruption.    I do have a power switch on a PI that runs KODI read-only (streaming media from the network) so there isn't much risk of corruption, and if there was I would simply rewrite the image- no data lost. 

It does seem like they expect it to be on all the time.  I'm sure they'd argue that it consumes less power than many other devices do in sleep mode (depending on pi model),  but still I'd rather shut it down.

Yeah, for the Pi I have that so that I can shutdown Linux and have it powered off, then push that button to power it back on.  For the Vampire, they don't have such an option that I could find.  Hell, I've even found three prong inline power switches to help with the 1084S style monitors where their power switches fail and they're stuck in 'on' mode all the time, this lets me turn them off without constantly unplugging them.

The Vampire stand alone does have EmuTOS setup that has a shutdown / restart button, but sadly it just locks up.  Also sadly, I haven't been able to get the keyboard to do anything... but that's like an 'Early Access' device it seems :P

Reminds me of playing with old computers where they didn't have ATX PSUs yet, and you can tell things to shut down, but then they just say 'please power off'.  Man the days were nice when you could just power off the system without fearing filesystem corruption...

16 hours ago, R0ger said:

This is the box for Pi 4, with cables on one side, fan, and power button.

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-raspberry-pi-4-case.html

That is a nice little box, but I too have that issue with it that can be slightly irritating.  (I'm using it for KODI with an 8TB hard drive.)

When I used my old case, without the power button on the back, I could shut down the TV and the RPi using the TV remote control, then turn off power to the RPi with a remote control power switch.  When I wanted to turn it on again, I pressed the button on the remote control power switch I had the RPi plugged into and it would boot up and I'd be in business.   With the Argon case, after turning on the power to the RPI4 I still have to get out of bed and manually press the power button on the back to turn it on.  So now I find I'm leaving it on 24/7.

I took a picture to show it here, but I swear the dust didn't show up until it was hit with my camera's flash unit.  Looks like I need to dust today.

CASE.thumb.JPG.af84fa377df746d1070bb49e5b0c9ee5.JPG