IGNORED

800xl takes 6 or 7 minutes to turn on.

So, I have a fully loaded Atari 800xl. Ult 1MB, VBXL, Stereo, SIDE3, Fujinet. For the past few months it has started to take longer and longer to turn on. When I flip the switch, the power is dim and slowly brightens over several minutes. When the screen engages, I know that I can now press the reset button and start using it.  I will pull out the SIDE3 and Fujinet, and then plug them back in once I have power. I noticed it takes longer to warm up with these other devices connected. Does this mean that I need to replace the capacitors, or is something else failing?

Thanks...

My first guess would be a failing PSU. But after making sure if it is or not, then a capacitor would be the next guess. Even a cheap $5-10 multi-meter comes in useful for these situations if you don't have one. Most likely it would be one capacitor only, but some like to swap them all out for newer ones these days. Most likely, if it is a capacitor, it will be C1-C4 on the 800XL, all located right around the PSU port and power switch. Off the top of my head without looking at the Field Service Manual-I'm more familiar with 800's and 1200XL's.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

My first guess would be a failing PSU. But after making sure if it is or not, then a capacitor would be the next guess. Even a cheap $5-10 multi-meter comes in useful for these situations if you don't have one. Most likely it would be one capacitor only, but some like to swap them all out for newer ones these days. Most likely, if it is a capacitor, it will be C1-C4 on the 800XL, all located right around the PSU port and power switch. Off the top of my head without looking at the Field Service Manual-I'm more familiar with 800's and 1200XL's.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just bought replacement caps. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrVenkman said:

When the machine is “warming up,” have you tried hitting the RESET key? 

Yes. When I turn it on, the power indicator is very dim. Almost unnoticeable. It gradually brightens. Pressing the reset does nothing until the power light is fully illuminated. The process takes sever minutes. 

15 minutes ago, Mark loves Stella said:

Yes. When I turn it on, the power indicator is very dim. Almost unnoticeable. It gradually brightens. Pressing the reset does nothing until the power light is fully illuminated. The process takes sever minutes. 

Do you have a multimeter or another way of measuring the output of your power supply?

7 hours ago, BillC said:

While the machine is powering up you can also check the +5V output on the SIO/joystick ports, this would show the voltage under load.

sio-joystick.png.2921209a7773fb046a407a83ff3fde5f.png

Great idea. I just tried this. My multi-meter is only showing 1.5v when powering up. After a few sec. I will retest and notice that the voltage is gradually rising.

57 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Knowing this, I wouldn't turn this on again until you eliminate the Capacitors in case you either damage the PSU

or the Cap's decide to pop

Agreed it sounds like the caps are initially acting like a short, pulling down the voltage in the process. Although it's unusual to see them 'un-short' after warm-up. Only other possibility is a high resistance inline with the power supply, but I don't see how that would get better with time.

39 minutes ago, Mark loves Stella said:

Thanks everyone all of the helpful tips. I also want to replace the power adapter. Does anyone have a recommendation for a clean 5v 2+amp that I should purchase?

I bought this one a couple of years ago to use in my RetroPie setup and it works great. I just purchased another one today to splice in with the DIN cable from my old ingot power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MARDJZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 8:18 AM, DrVenkman said:

Pretty sure it is. This is Bruce’s photo from B&C’s eBay site, annotated by me.

A032162F-2ECB-4790-86EC-C32B521DA4EA.jpeg

You are correct!  My mistake.  I had to dig out my box of supplies. I never knew the silver label (top right) had the same upper dimensions of the Ingot.  The ingot, in person, has more slanted sides than the picture above show which is what threw me off.  Anyone want to sell me a black beauty and the bottom right unit?  :)