IGNORED

Brazilian PlusCarts

Al_Nafuur

17 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Did someone inform @batari yet?

we should inform him, but I am afraid there is not much he can do about it now..

15 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

He definitely needs to know about this for sure. It's plain knock off/piracy going on. I like@Al_Nafuur being nefarious and waiting for the moment to pounce.

31 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

1. Fulfill all our demands ?

That can also mean that he has to pay some compensation/royalty to @batari and @electrotrains for the Harmony and the UnoCart. But it all depends on how many of his PlusCarts he is going to sell and how popular the PlusCart is going to be in Brazil.

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

we should inform him, but I am afraid there is not much he can do about it now..

This shop must have some kind of reporting for copyright violation, the law in Brazil must request that. Else there would be no EU-Mercosur trade agreement. And we have some Portuguese members here at AtariAge who could help batari here.

BTW: Mercado Livre is 

Found this link: https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/dicas_comerciais29
One part says: "Advertise products that violate intellectual property rights, patents, brands, models, industrial secrets."

And here you can report: https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/seguro_violppi.html

Related topics

• Unauthorized copies
  • Products available for download on the Internet
  • Replicas and forgeries
  • Images or texts used without permission of the author
  • Use of third party brands and images
  • Warning
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

:evil: :thumbsup: 

Are these carts already showing up?

Yes, he made a firmware update from v0.14.6 to v0.15.0 with all the 9 PlusCart of this test production run successively on Saturday via the PlusStore. Then he downloaded the offline ROMs from his PlusStore account to the most of them, by connecting them to his account and disconnecting them after the download.

As far as I can see in the log files, it went all smooth an nice, just like I explained it in the manual and the PlusCart thread.

He is been using the PlusStore with 5 other (prototype?) PlusCarts already for quite a while, what draws my attention to this Carts was that he is mostly only downloading Pitfall II. These PlusCarts are the reason why "Pitfall II" is number one in the "Popular ROMs" list and since last week also in the all time public area statistics:

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/statistics.php

The cards are definitely not Robins UnoCard design. However, there is not much on the boards apart from the STM32, so I guess coming up with an alternate design is far from impossible, and not illegal either.

As has been said many times: the firmware is available under the GPL, so he is free to use it as long as he redistributes the source code. If he doesn't, he is violating the GPL. The Uno firmware was originally created by @electrotrains with contributions from me and @ZackAttack, and the PlusCart firmware is developed @Al_Nafuur and originates from this code base. So, it looks like all four of us are possibly having our copyright violated. The video certainly looks similar to the UnoCart firmware.

If anyone speaks portugese and volunteers to help in contacting the guy, I'm in ;) 

The pirated Harmony carts are even worse. @Al_Nafuur have you sent those links to @batari?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

That can also mean that he has to pay some compensation/royalty to @batari and @electrotrains for the Harmony and the UnoCart. But it all depends on how many of his PlusCarts he is going to sell and how popular the PlusCart is going to be in Brazil.

As far as the Uno is concerned, there is also my copyright involved. I don't care about any royalities, but I want the GPL to be upheld.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

As far as the Uno is concerned, there is also my copyright involved. I don't care about any royalities, but I want the GPL to be upheld.

you mean

4 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

1. Fulfill all our demands ?

?

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea to wait until there are a "couple of hundred" people who would be inconvenienced by this.

This can only reflect badly on you - people will be angry because of your action which has affected them.

If you're going to effectively brick his pluscarts then I'd do it now, before he sells any/many.... not wait until there are a bunch of "victims".

AtariAge User @DablioGames has just send a comment in the PlusCart thread, regarding a bug he found in the SuperCharger emulation of the PlusCart. A quick check in the PlusStor logs showed that only the Brazilian PlusCarts have downloaded the ROM that is mentioned in his post.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea to wait until there are a "couple of hundred" people who would be inconvenienced by this.

This can only reflect badly on you - people will be angry because of your action which has affected them.

Yes that would be evil, but maybe we just have to threaten him with this scenario..

23 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

If you're going to effectively brick his pluscarts then I'd do it now, before he sells any/many.... not wait until there are a bunch of "victims".

I don't want to brick his PlusCart, and as far as I understand the GPL we can not prevent him from building and selling them (at any price he wants). But as @DirtyHairy stated he has to upheld the GPL, regarding the UnoCart and the PlusCart.

Using our PlusStore with the PlusCarts he has build, might be a different story..

8 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

BTW Suicide Mission NTSC doesn't go black on 1.16.0 but title comes up and makes sounds like game is starting but doesn't move from title. Had to play this on emulator to see what to expect. Seems like an interesting asteroid clone.

That's whats happening on v0.15.0 too.

The only difference to the SuperCharger emulation between v0.14.6 and v0.15.0 is the exit function that has been added (and obviously a bug too).

2 hours ago, Prizrak said:

I agree because the parts for PlusCart might be off the shelf parts and the firmware available via download; but the store is hosted and paid for by you and that comes at a cost.

currently the costs are not really relevant. And the PlusCarts are not generating a lot of request and traffic. We may need to rethink the nextcloud setup, but that's also not a concern in the moment.

But the PlusStore is a community maintained repository for the newest ROMs. And this means that the ROM-Admins spend a lot of time and effort to keep it up to date. Everyone that is selling (a large amount of) PlusCarts uses this service and therefor he should at least reference to the project, the community and maybe even contribute something to the project.

• Like 2

I have sent an PM to @DablioGames, and talked to him about the PlusCart and the UnoCart.

As I already suspected, he doesn't speak English and has to use google translate to communicate.

He likes to contribute his PCB design (which is a hybrid design and can be used for the UnoCart and the PlusCart) to the projects. Also he wants to contribute and (as far as I understand) maintain a Brazilian hombrew and WIP section in the PlusStore.

Furthermore he would be happy if we would accept him in our beta tester club.

I think all the issues regarding the GPL and the UnoCart and PlusCart may be explained to him and solved, so everyone is happy and satisfied.

I haven't talked to him regarding the Harmony cart piracy. And if it is his offer at mercado livre, and if the carts are made by him. But I think @batari should be involved in this communication.

does anyone has informed @batari already?

9 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

He likes to contribute his PCB design (which is a hybrid design and can be used for the UnoCart and the PlusCart) to the projects. Also he wants to contribute and (as far as I understand) maintain a Brazilian hombrew and WIP section in the PlusStore.

Furthermore he would be happy if we would accept him in our beta tester club.

Great outcome.

19 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Glad to see you guys could come to an agreement on things and maybe he can be an asset to the project.

11 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Great outcome.

So far I have made no "deal" or agreements with him, I just posted his offer and now I am waiting for feedback how we should proceed.

Furthermore, I am not "authorized" to make a "deal" regarding the UnoCart with him, it is @DirtyHairy's, @electrotrains', and @ZackAttack's project.

Also we should aim for a solution that includes @batari's interest regarding the Harmony cart.