IGNORED

Prototype Validation Request

Deemar

I received these today and everything seems fine but I just wanted to post and ask people more knowledgeable than I. Do these look legitimate? I want to make sure I made a good buy here and they're not fake or anything.

Bottom left = Frog Pond unreleased prototype

Bottom right = Dukes Of Hazzard unreleased semi-prototype

Top right = Jr. Pac-Man prototype

Top left = Malagai / Gauntlet chips from Answer Software

Apparently they were bought from Digipress long ago and now I bought them from that person (may actually be a member here).

I spoke with buyatari and he was telling me the Dukes Of Hazzard is actually from Best Electronics but what does that mean? Did they make fakes or is this one of the originally produced ROM chips from the original run? Thanks a lot.

IMG_20201104_102145.jpg

I am no expert, but I would suggest looking at the date codes on the ROM/EPROM chips as a starting point. It will not prove that these are vintage items, but it can establish that they are not. For example, a chip produced in 1995 cannot have been used to develop a game in 1983 (though a game developed in 1995 could be burned on a chip from 1983). 

I have never heard of an "unreleased semi-prototype" before.     

5 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yes, any PCB, that has a 4K mask ROM on it (Pac-Man for instance).

I think I'll do that. Do I need some sort of gripper tool to pull the chip off the PCB? Or one of those solder suckers for the bottom? Is there a new PCB I can buy that it will just push into more easily?

50 minutes ago, Deemar said:

I think I'll do that. Do I need some sort of gripper tool to pull the chip off the PCB? Or one of those solder suckers for the bottom? Is there a new PCB I can buy that it will just push into more easily?

Not really, but I am sure several people here could make you one with a socket.

So are these the legitimate cartridges I thought they were?

I know people say I have the Best Electronics version of Dukes Of Hazzard but what does that mean? Are they making new games with the ROM? Are they using old chips and new cartridges? Is it all old?

What about Frog Pond? Is that a real 197X prototype?

The most valuable items that you have in that entire lot, are the Answer Software game roms. (assuming of course that they are indeed original mask roms, but most likely they are)

The dukes of hazard cart may or may not contain an original mask rom, either way, as a best electronics aftermarket game, it’s “relatively” common as he has sold hundreds of them. So it’s value isn’t very big.

The frog pond cart has an eprom board, so that at least is proto cart material, but whether or not the EPROMs currently populating it were actually original to it is difficult to guess from that pic.

the Atari computer cart is pretty much the same as above.

Best Electronics bought out Atari warehouses and buildings after Atari was gone.  What people are telling you is that the chips and boards and even the housings were all assembled by Best from original parts with new labels and sold after Atari was defunct and no longer in the game making business.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 11:23 AM, Deemar said:

Okay cool, so they're the original unsold cartridges that Atari was holding onto and Best just sold them. That's fine, I think.

Do these sound like suitable prices? I'm just checking.

Frog Pond = $190

Dukes Of Hazzard = $190

Jr. Pac-Man = $90

Malagai = $90

Gauntlet = $190

I think you missed a decimal point!  But that's just me. Let's see what the other say.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Deemar said:

Are you saying I paid 10 times the value?

Definitely not. I think Best Electronics sold some of those games (Frog Pond, Dukes of Hazzard, etc) for $12-20 a long long time ago. They probably go for $60-$100 today. Malagai and Gauntlet are really really rare but I don't think those prices are unreasonable. My opinion is that you may have overpaid a touch for Dukes but none of those games are available very often so enjoy your purchase.

Edited by cvga