IGNORED

Who's up to convert Time Pilot for the 5200???

BIGHMW

Hey guys,

here's yet another game we could sure use for Big Sexy, the 2018 homebrew of the 1983 Konami arcade classic, Time Pilot, for the Atari 8-bit computers, as I found right here, I have the 8-bit ROM available for anyone who wants to give it a try to convert it for all of us, and I am not the only 5200 owner who wants to see this happen, there are others on both YouTube and also in the 8-bit forums who also want to see it happen too.

Here is the video of it as seen on YouTube:

Time Pilot.xex

• Confused 1

Not to burst your bubble, but given that Time Pilot requires 64K of RAM in order to run on the A8, the 16K that the 5200 has can't meet the minimum specs.

While it may be possible to do this via an Atarimax or similar, that device costs $130, which is a lot of money to spend to play just one game that can already be found on the A8.

I wouldn't expect to see a 5200 version anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

It would need to support analog for more arcade authenticity in the port.

As for requiring 64K, well, our favorite console is definitely long overdue for a RAM upgrade. Before his untimely passing, Curt and I were discussing such a project. He thought a RAM upgrade board would be feasible to install in the ANTIC socket. Another Eastern European homebrew hardware enthusiast also independently had the same idea and was gung-ho about going ahead and producing such a board but it hasn't come to fruition yet. Considering we're almost in 2021 now, I'd like to see such an upgrade have more RAM than that. And especially since it isn't easy to get RAM inside a 5200 cart to work - unlike with a 7800 or NES cart - so the more RAM in such an upgrade the better. Especially since it would help encourage others to port the larger A8 games over since there'd be less headaches. Imagine The Great American Cross Country Road Race ported to the 5200 and using a modified CX52 as a Paddle/Driving Controller. Or, for that matter, the A8 homebrew port of the C64's Stunt Car Racer also using the same controller. That would take 128K RAM. Mind you, other 8-bit platforms like the Apple II have 8MB RAM upgrades and the C64 enthusiasts have crammed 16MB into an REU cart although only their demo scene is embracing it so far...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

It would need to support analog for more arcade authenticity in the port.

I'd argue that it shouldn't have true analogue support by default as the original arcade game used an 8-way joystick.  As an option, sure, but defaulting to 8-way would be closer to its roots.

All of the above is absolutely fantastic, but there's still one thing that's not easily overcome:

On 11/9/2020 at 12:26 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Not to burst your bubble, but given that Time Pilot requires 64K of RAM in order to run on the A8, the 16K that the 5200 has can't meet the minimum specs.

While it may be possible to do this via an Atarimax or similar, that device costs $130, which is a lot of money to spend to play just one game that can already be found on the A8.

I wouldn't expect to see a 5200 version anytime soon.

So, realistically, trying to decide which control scheme to use is a moot point.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

All of the above is absolutely fantastic, but there's still one thing that's not easily overcome:

So, realistically, trying to decide which control scheme to use is a moot point.

That could be resolved with a 64K/128K+ board that plugs into the ANTIC socket and then the homebrew programmers decide to a standard mapping address for it. Like the XBoard for the 7800 but much popular due to the sockets on the 5200 mobo. It would be as easy as plugging in a Sofia board.

1 hour ago, Lynxpro said:

That could be resolved with a 64K/128K+ board that plugs into the ANTIC socket and then the homebrew programmers decide to a standard mapping address for it. Like the XBoard for the 7800 but much popular due to the sockets on the 5200 mobo. It would be as easy as plugging in a Sofia board.

Or add the necessary hardware to the cartridge so that it can be played on a stock system.  Not everyone wants to modify their console.

28 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Or add the necessary hardware to the cartridge so that it can be played on a stock system.  Not everyone wants to modify their console.

You can't do that with a 5200. It doesn't have the lines accessible in the cartridge slot like the 7800 does. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lynxpro said:

You can't do that with a 5200. It doesn't have the lines accessible in the cartridge slot like the 7800 does. 

Fair enough.  So, on a stock system, it's pretty much a no-go.  Atarimax for people who don't want to modify; ANTIC memory board for those who do.

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Fair enough.  So, on a stock system, it's pretty much a no-go.  Atarimax for people who don't want to modify; ANTIC memory board for those who do.

Only if the game ROMs are released. Not all of the homebrew coders consent to having their games released as ROM files to be played on SD Cartridge Adapters.