IGNORED

7800 Cartridge Fit (Possible?) Issues

electronicsibley

So, I’m having a possible issue with getting 7800 cartridges *out* of my console. I’m aware of some 2600 carts not easily fitting at all, but this isn’t that. Is it normal to have to really work at a 7800 cart to get it out? For me Karateka seems to be the worst offender. Karateka also makes a bit of a “crunching” sound when the circuit board makes its connection. Pretty sure that can’t be good.

If this is all par for the course, I can certainly live with it, but I’d definitely like to speak to the manager at some point!

While we’re on the topic, can anyone share details on work being done to solve these issues?

Not too usual for 7800 carts to have any issues although on some 7800s the cart sleeves are just still a tad too thick that even some Atari branded games can have issues. But that would be when you try and insert them in addition to trying to remove them. The crunching sound might be the plastic pegs on the 7800 cart grinding against the inserts on the cart sleeve. 

But I can't say that I would call having issues removing carts as being normal. Is Karateka really the only one giving you issues or do other 7800 games also cause problems? 

I assume 2600 games work okay or do some of them also give you issues?

For 2600 games there is the new Lock-On adapter that as the name implies, is an adapter you plug onto 2600 carts and then insert them into the 7800. The adapter is a passthrough device that is able to seat fully into the 7800 cart slot which many 3rd party 2600 games have issues with. Aside from that, the only other options are physical modifications to the cart sleeve itself. But again, these options are for 2600 games and especially 3rd party games to work and fit easier into the 7800 not the other way around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Is Karateka really the only one giving you issues or do other 7800 games also cause problems? 

I went back to check and it’s actually all of my 7800 games *except* Centipede. They all work, but they’re  snug, and I have to be careful removing them. I also checked my 2600 collection and all carts fit fine except the Activision titles, which is what I would’ve expected. 

It is a bit weird. I bought the console recently off eBay, so who knows if it had been worked on in the past and something is misaligned internally. I’d be more bummed if it prevented me from playing the games, but it’s still disappointing. 

BTW, thanks for the tip about the Lock-On adapter. I may look into that!

7D4D7255-1686-491E-B357-B2EAF8CAEB4E.jpeg

1 hour ago, electronicsibley said:

BTW, thanks for the tip about the Lock-On adapter. I may look into that!

Just remember that the lock-on adapter is only for 2600 games and does not act as a passthrough for 7800 games. If I were to guess on where your carts are getting snagged up, it might be the actual holes to the sides of the actual pin connector slot for the dust cover pegs. Those holes on the cart sleeve might not be quite wide enough would be my guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Just remember that the lock-on adapter is only for 2600 games and does not act as a passthrough for 7800 games. If I were to guess on where your carts are getting snagged up, it might be the actual holes to the sides of the actual pin connector slot for the dust cover pegs. Those holes on the cart sleeve might not be quite wide enough would be my guess.

Yup, I’d just be getting it for a few Activision carts. I’m going to take a closer look and see if I can pinpoint the problem. I’ll share whatever I find out. Thanks!