IGNORED

Email and Fujinet

Atari8guy

Anywhere you could telnet to and run something like PINE on a server to check email?  I was thinking you ought to be able to using terminal software find a server somewhere that runs PINE.  Of course my memory of how early 90s stuff works is 25+ years old now and maybe that's not how it works.

• Like 1

Hi,

You could try getting a free shell account (Google "free shell account") - this would let you log in to a remote server, though I am not sure how many systems would let you connect with telnet. I think pine has been replaced by alpine, though you could also use mutt, which is a text based email client.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, E474 said:

Hi,

You could try getting a free shell account (Google "free shell account") - this would let you log in to a remote server, though I am not sure how many systems would let you connect with telnet. I think pine has been replaced by alpine, though you could also use mutt, which is a text based email client.

So I did setup a shell account with sdf.org.  Very much reminds me of the terminal we had down in the student study and the end of the hall in dorms.  Really cool.  On Windows, I can telnet no problem, but the Atari with either ICE-T or Bob-Term I just get "connect 9600 %"  I've been googling what the % means, if its awaiting a response or something, but I haven't had any luck figuring that out.  Thoughts.... (is it somekind of overflow or something?)

9 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

So I did setup a shell account with sdf.org.  Very much reminds me of the terminal we had down in the student study and the end of the hall in dorms.  Really cool.  On Windows, I can telnet no problem, but the Atari with either ICE-T or Bob-Term I just get "connect 9600 %"  I've been googling what the % means, if its awaiting a response or something, but I haven't had any luck figuring that out.  Thoughts.... (is it somekind of overflow or something?)

No, this is an artifact of telnet IAC processing. A proper telnet protocol adapter needs to be added. I will do this in the course of the rewrite, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

• Like 3