IGNORED

Games That Can Be Beaten

Cousin Vinnie

Im doing a little sumthin sumthin ova here and I wanna make sure I list every Atari 7800 beatable adventure/action game that has an end screen... not a game with an end screen and the game flips or a sports or racing title. So here is what I came up with...

Ace of Aces

Alien Brigade

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest

Choplifter!

Double Dragon

Fatal Run

F-18 Hornet

GoSub

Ikari Warriors

Karateka

Meltdown?

Midnight Mutants

Missing in Action

Ninja Golf

Possible Mission

Planet Smashers

Scrapyard Dog

Super Skateboardin'

Tomcat

Tower Toppler

Water Ski?

Thanks alot fellas!

Funk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Can you beat that one?

You can but with no saves etc. You need to play it non stop with unlimited continues takes hours and hours of dyin and tryin cause I am not a game master. 

If played with 2p even harder yet. The bosses act differently and if your compadre gets killed you have to start the level over. So that causes a real life fight with your 2p buddy about why they suck. 

The best is to find the warp zone and skip some levels like the bubble world which makes no sense to me at times and I usually give up there. 

The ending boss levels are beyond difficult you would do anything for a powerup to allow another hit or two or twenty to your fox.. 

1 minute ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

I bet Draker Quest 1 & 2 and Hearty Manslapper can beat beaten...

I think so. I have Draker Quest 1 but never completed that one. I would like to see a playthrough of Draker Quest 2. Man up here in Canada our dollar sucks balls so I do not have the cash to buy everything like back in 2013 when Bobby Dee was pumping the gamez out!

3 minutes ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

You know what's weird, the game looks amazing but it doesnt look like something I would normally buy. I bought it when it cam out and never popped it in. I gotta give it a whirl, especially since it looks like the guy is done making any more. ?

I think your more of a Roof Pooper kinda guy. ?

Vin...Keep in mind with Rikki & Vikki, you only get the 'good' ending if you beat the game with 2 players.  No matter how you perform with the one player game, you still get an ending, but a much less desirable one.

My only issue with this title is the aforementioned ending.  The game should not punish due to having only one player complete it.

I can understand people desiring a password save option; however, with unlimited lives as a selectable choice early on in the game (Well, after the second continue/"try again"), the game can be played through well under 2 hours, even within 90 minutes. 

Besides, who needs passwords when there is...

image.thumb.png.1d97e8ee81de46c94538adc27aa1a274.png

...DUT'S DISCOUNT WARPS!  Warp your way to any of the caverns!

The way to reach:

During the first area (Rock Caverns), complete boards R0-R9 without dying and without eliminating an enemy.  Just collect the keys. 

If successful, Dut will appear and treat you access to above.  The levels R through M are presented in the order they are experienced in the game... 

Rock Cavern
Sand Cavern
Flame Cavern
Bubble Cavern
Metal Cavern

...including the "E" which is the End Cavern.

The floating/flying "I" above, is for access to the Irregular Caverns.  Press jump while it flies above the player's head to enter it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Well dude... I need these games.

All publicly available/latest releases or/and demos can be had from the Homebrews and Hacks thread.

There is also Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack last updated in June.  It will likely see another update in another month or so.  It contains ROMs for all original retail, prototype, hacks, and homebrews, with proper headers.

ZeroPage Homebrew Completed/WIP 2020 thread is also a great resource.  It links to current WIPs and completed titles from this year. 

Knight Guy has not been released to cart yet and there has been no cartridge mass distribution of Asterix Quest either.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jinks said:

If played with 2p even harder yet. The bosses act differently and if your compadre gets killed you have to start the level over. So that causes a real life fight with your 2p buddy about why they suck. 

Yup, this. My 6yo really holds me back on 2-player, and I make sure he knows it! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Ive wanted to do this article since 2002 or 2003 and finally got around to it today... and it took me all day. If I left something major off, tell me and I'll add it. Hope you enjoy.

Atari 7800 Endings Ranked
http://www.atari7800forever.com/endings.html

This is very cool.  And you couldn't be more right about Tower Toppler.  Anyone who has the patience to complete all the levels deserves a hell of a lot more than that lame end screen!

On 11/15/2020 at 7:07 AM, Trebor said:

Vin...Keep in mind with Rikki & Vikki, you only get the 'good' ending if you beat the game with 2 players.  No matter how you perform with the one player game, you still get an ending, but a much less desirable one.

My only issue with this title is the aforementioned ending.  The game should not punish due to having only one player complete it.

I can understand people desiring a password save option; however, with unlimited lives as a selectable choice early on in the game (Well, after the second continue/"try again"), the game can be played through well under 2 hours, even within 90 minutes. 

Besides, who needs passwords when there is...

image.thumb.png.1d97e8ee81de46c94538adc27aa1a274.png

...DUT'S DISCOUNT WARPS!  Warp your way to any of the caverns!

The way to reach:

During the first area (Rock Caverns), complete boards R0-R9 without dying and without eliminating an enemy.  Just collect the keys. 

If successful, Dut will appear and treat you access to above.  The levels R through M are presented in the order they are experienced in the game... 

Rock Cavern
Sand Cavern
Flame Cavern
Bubble Cavern
Metal Cavern

...including the "E" which is the End Cavern.

The floating/flying "I" above, is for access to the Irregular Caverns.  Press jump while it flies above the player's head to enter it.

Ok. Most of these first 9 levels are pretty simple. R5 I found to be the toughest, but I figured it out!

R5.png

Edited by aaron1677
  • Like 1