IGNORED

USB PSU, any good?

Mclaneinc

54 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Oh Wow, you're right. I just assumed it was DC for some reason. So, there's a step down transformer to go from 120VAC to 9VAC, then a built-in power supply to convert to DC?!

Strange indeed.

Not particularly unusual for the time, though.  The XL- and XE-series machines (1200XL excepted) just move the AC-to-DC rectification from the computer to the power supply.

FWIW, the 1050 disk drive can also use the same 9VAC PSUs as the 400/800/1200XL.  I think the 1010 cassette drive and 1020 plotter can also use them, but don't quote me on that - I do have vague memories of swapping them around when I was younger, but may be misremembering.

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not particularly unusual for the time, though.  The XL- and XE-series machines (1200XL excepted) just move the AC-to-DC rectification from the computer to the power supply.

The XL/XE supplies are considerably bigger as a result too (except for the 1 amp model, used in 65XE's without ECI -- and maybe XEGS too). The 400/800/1200XL/1050 power supplies are quite compact.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I think the 1010 cassette drive and 1020 plotter can also use them, but don't quote me on that - I do have vague memories of swapping them around when I was younger, but may be misremembering.

Yes, those all use the same 9V AC power supply as the 400/800/1200XL and the disk drives.

• Like 1

I have the original 1050 PSU, so not both at the same time. With the lockdown, I can't just go out and buy an equivalent PSU. I can order one, but I'm going nuts with the lockdown and was hoping to get my 800 working with my 1050 and all my disks. At least I got my TI-99 which I also love working with some good cartridges.

1 hour ago, AtariNostalgia said:

So I can use my PSU for the 1050 to power my 800, just not both at the same time ?

I just can't find my 800 PSU... It's probably at my parent's attic.

I bought below PSU and I am pretty sure it can drive an 800 and floppy drive.

RockPower Supply NT 20 EU 9V AC 4000mA

• Like 1

Is there any ill effect when we power two or three AC powered devices, like for example 800 computer and two disk drives at the same time from one AC power supply?

I have one 9V 100W transformer and I'm thinking about making custom power supply with three leads. Something about ground loop? 

9 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

If you found an AC power supply with enough current combined with a barrel jack splitter you probably could. I wouldn't advise it with a stock PSU though.

Do NOT do this - I tried - it causes dangerous ground loops over the SIO cable.. With 2 1050's for instance, I observed drives that are switched OFF would actually stay powered ON... that power is coming over the small SIO wires from the other powered up drive(s) - risk of melting/fire etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Do NOT do this - I tried - it causes dangerous ground loops over the SIO cable.. With 2 1050's for instance, I observed drives that are switched OFF would actually stay powered ON... that power is coming over the small SIO wires from the other powered up drive(s) - risk of melting/fire etc...

Ah that's right, that didn't come to mind at the time. Never mind then!