IGNORED

Reproductions of Not hard to find Jag games

JaggingUK

Why would anyone bother selling repos/pirate copies of these games when the games are all still readily available... Okay he is selling others like Air Cars, Mad Bodies and BSG that may be harder to find but do these games really need someone selling repros at £45 each... Okay some of the 17 or so for sale may be hard to find but Ultra Vortex, Fight 4 Life and Double Dragon I would think are not... Seems crazy that people are starting to copy even the lesser value games... I look forward to seeing Brutal Sports Football and Chequered Flag pop up in the coming weeks!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-VORTEK-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575510279?hash=item1f19b88907:g:Uq0AAOSwq~xfr88j

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIGHT-4-LIFE-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575511151?hash=item1f19b88c6f:g:tvwAAOSww2Zfr8wy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-DRAGON-V-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575514409?hash=item1f19b89929:g:J5gAAOSwYHFfr9EB

• Haha 2

And hopefully people don't think I'm advertising these games by putting up this listing - maybe someone will see one or two they have the I.P for and ask him to stop selling them (not sure who own Aircars these days) - I do think it is worth highlighting the rise in pirate/repro Jag games as it does reduce the value of the games we own if we over come to sell them at some point if the pirates/repros are of very good quality.

1 hour ago, JaggingUK said:

And hopefully people don't think I'm advertising these games by putting up this listing - maybe someone will see one or two they have the I.P for and ask him to stop selling them (not sure who own Aircars these days) - I do think it is worth highlighting the rise in pirate/repro Jag games as it does reduce the value of the games we own if we over come to sell them at some point if the pirates/repros are of very good quality.

Nothing is going to reduce the price of commercial era Jag games, unfortunately, as many of them are getting harder to find, due to the huge increase in demand from collectors. I've got no problem with commercial era game repros being sold. What I do have a problem with, though, is when these shady Etsy and eBay shops start selling repros of homebrews and post-commercial era games, which is far more common.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 4:58 PM, JaggingUK said:

Why would anyone bother selling repos/pirate copies of these games when the games are all still readily available... Okay he is selling others like Air Cars, Mad Bodies and BSG that may be harder to find but do these games really need someone selling repros at £45 each... Okay some of the 17 or so for sale may be hard to find but Ultra Vortex, Fight 4 Life and Double Dragon I would think are not... Seems crazy that people are starting to copy even the lesser value games... I look forward to seeing Brutal Sports Football and Chequered Flag pop up in the coming weeks!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-VORTEK-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575510279?hash=item1f19b88907:g:Uq0AAOSwq~xfr88j

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIGHT-4-LIFE-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575511151?hash=item1f19b88c6f:g:tvwAAOSww2Zfr8wy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-DRAGON-V-ATARI-JAGUAR-REPRODUCTION-PAL-BOXED-WITH-INSTRUCTIONS/133575514409?hash=item1f19b89929:g:J5gAAOSwYHFfr9EB

I wouldn't say Ultra Vortek or Double Dragon V are readily available. At least I haven't seen these games at a remotely reasonable price for the last 15 years...

• Thanks 1

I'm after picking up a Super Burnout cart at the moment and I noticed there was a repro of that up for £40 here in the UK. Which is about what SB goes for as an original. I don't really see the point of a repro that costs just as much as the real thing, but isn't. I find the whole thing odd.

• Like 1

Honestly I think £40 for a Super Burnout, at least complete with box and manual, would be an unusually low price.  

Funny, because I bought it back in the early 2000s for $20 US...  It's a bit sad how much the prices have soared, and are shutting out folks who just want to play the games.

$115 US for an AirCars manual....  ?

Well, he can ask - it doesn't mean he's actually going to get $115.

One annoyance I've noticed is that the same seller will part out a game.  Instead of one auction for a complete game, he'll have three separate auctions for the cartridge, the manual, and the box.  Sometimes there's a fourth auction for the overlay too!  I guess there's more profit to be made when the items are parted out like that...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leech said:

I have a spare AirCars manual. If anyone wants it it's $10+postage.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 9:34 AM, ls650 said:

One annoyance I've noticed is that the same seller will part out a game.  Instead of one auction for a complete game, he'll have three separate auctions for the cartridge, the manual, and the box.  Sometimes there's a fourth auction for the overlay too!  I guess there's more profit to be made when the items are parted out like that...

Speaking as someone who is more of a book collector than a video game collector, this happens all of the time. It is VERY common for illustrated publications to be broken-up and the plates sold separately. The individual plates are collectively worth far more than the complete book.

8 hours ago, phoboz said:

I guess the best way to battle this is for the owners of the rights (to these games), is to keep selling them (at a reasonable price) :) 

Unfortunately, that won't stop some people from making pirate copies, and other people from buying them.

@str0m said above that the guy was selling Tempest 2000 repros, and you can't really argue that Tempest 2000 is hard-to-find or expensive.

5 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

@str0m said above that the guy was selling Tempest 2000 repros, and you can't really argue that Tempest 2000 is hard-to-find or expensive.

I guess that depends on how you define expensive.  I just did a search on eBay for Tempest 2000, and the cheapest copy is a BIN for $99 US plus shipping.  If you live overseas, you can probably get a knock-off cart of T2K for maybe half that, and the shipping is a lot less.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Unfortunately, that won't stop some people from making pirate copies, and other people from buying them.

If it was available most people would not buy pirate copies. ?

Edited by agradeneu