IGNORED

Atari 800 power adaptor

Preppie

I needed a new PSU for my 800 (not 800xl).  After reading around some said 2.5mm jack and others 2.1mm and one place said 2.5mm will fit but losely and you should get 2.1mm.  So I get a 2.1mm and it's too small :(

Instead of sending the psu back I figured I'd just get a little adaptor but I can't find any AC they're all DC.  But given that they just increase the size of the jack does this actually matter?

Could I use something like this?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Converter-2-5mm-Socket-5-5mm/dp/B005KCGM96/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2.1mm+to+2.5mm+adapter&qid=1605790537&sr=8-4

Yes that part should work just fine. As long as your PSU is 9VAC, not 9VDC.

I have used those adapters on a 1050 which uses the same PSU and 5.5/2.5mm connector. I have not tried on an 800 specifically, but it should be the same. it's a little more elegant and less permanent than hacking a true 5.5/2.5mm connector onto the cable directly. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Westphal said:

Thanks but I'm in UK :)

I just tested the new PSU with new multimeter and it reads 10.8v ?  So thinking it's a fault with multimeter i tested old 1050 psu (I won't use it 'cause it's buzzing) and that shows 10.8v.  They're the only ac adaptors I've got, i tested some dc and they all come in at the correct voltage.

I'm new to electronics but I'm pretty sure i'm doing it all right.  That 10.8v seems high, I've tried doing some research on it but every search I do comes up with 1000 dc articles.  Maybe the 200v range is too high to get a decent reading? 

1 hour ago, Preppie said:

I needed a new PSU for my 800 (not 800xl).  After reading around some said 2.5mm jack and others 2.1mm and one place said 2.5mm will fit but losely and you should get 2.1mm.  So I get a 2.1mm and it's too small :(

Instead of sending the psu back I figured I'd just get a little adaptor but I can't find any AC they're all DC.  But given that they just increase the size of the jack does this actually matter?

Could I use something like this?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Converter-2-5mm-Socket-5-5mm/dp/B005KCGM96/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2.1mm+to+2.5mm+adapter&qid=1605790537&sr=8-4

im using this (widely available) - 

RockPower NT 21 Power Supply 9V AC/2100 mA 5.5 x 2.5mm

19 minutes ago, Preppie said:

I just tested the new PSU with new multimeter and it reads 10.8v ?

Thats fine @10.8VAC, that gets rectified and regulated inside the 800, the regulators can take much higher

DC voltages than what you will get from 10.8V. Full wave rectified will be about 15.2VDC as opposed to 12.7VDC

if it was 9VAC.

Also remember your measuring the AC voltage "off load" , so will be lower when you load it.

Nothing wrong with your meter, also the buzzing is probably ok, inside it's just a step down transformer and it's

either some loose windings or maybe the plastic casing.

Edited by TGB1718
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Preppie said:

Thanks TGB, this is exactly the info I was searching for.

As for the old psu, I don't mind using it for my 1050 but it's not getting anywhere near my beautiful 800 :)

Those PSU s are built like tanks, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on my 800. Only issue I've ever had was the wires breaking where they go in to the case. 20 minutes with a dremmel and solder the connections back on and it's worked for another 15 years