IGNORED

MINE-MINE-MINE!! Look what I got off eBay ;)

ColleenLover

16 minutes ago, Preppie said:

The other problem is that he's got crates of the things from an old warehouse.  Wouldn't alter what you have but will be a little annoying when he's selling the 10,000th copy in a few years time for $10.

Even if that was the case, I don't think having payed ~$400 US would make you feel like you've been robbed.

But if this guy: https://www.pcmag.com/news/unopened-copy-of-super-mario-bros-3-fetches-for-156000-breaking-record happens to have a lot more with the early hand and unopened...... :D

Edited by ivop

47 minutes ago, Preppie said:

The other problem is that he's got crates of the things from an old warehouse.  Wouldn't alter what you have but will be a little annoying when he's selling the 10,000th copy in a few years time for $10.

Well, he's got to get something back for what he paid on the crates of goods. In the auction, he just said they were "vintage" not "rare". Haha...

2 hours ago, ivop said:

I'm sure this can be faked. Look at at counterfeit paintings that even experts could not tell apart. They got wood from the same period to make the frame, or strip an old painting of all its paint (with stuff that was available in the particular time you are aiming for), make it look older by adding some coffee or tea or dirt mixture. Use the same paints of that period. Add grease to the surface, heat them in an oven to make the paint crack, et cetera....

To make matters worse, you have these "validation" houses that are certifying repros as being authentic protos -- like what happened a few years back with the plentifully available Super Pac-Man repro from B & C (or wherever), which was put on Ebay for thousands of dollars.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

buying rare A8 items at ebay for a high cost to never use them is always risky (they might be defect, empty, etc.). Maybe the seller already knew the buyer (collector) would never use these items and therefore sold almost empty shrink-wrapped boxes ? If you do not want to open them, you will never know for sure (and the rattling may come from some disk-sized cardboards inside the boxes)...  ;->

That is what they do with these kind of games, and some idiot paid 114,000:

nes-super-mario-bros-matte-sticker-seal-297x400.jpg

Edited by high voltage
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ivop said:

Even if that was the case, I don't think having payed ~$400 US would make you feel like you've been robbed.

But if this guy: https://www.pcmag.com/news/unopened-copy-of-super-mario-bros-3-fetches-for-156000-breaking-record happens to have a lot more with the early hand and unopened...... :D

Yes, and this, obviously no game inside

unopened-copy-of-super-mario-bros-3-fetches-for-156000-break_f536.1920.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, high voltage said:

As experienced during the tulip and dotcom bubbles, from a certain point onwards the intrinsic value of things does not matter and prices jump up because the next buyer expects the thing to appreciate even more, until banks refuse credit and/or there is no next buyer. I doubt that all 100K$ games will be sold at >100K$.

Here is another CRAZY Atari 8-bit auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-800-XL-Rhiannon-Software-Cave-Girl-Clair-Computer-Game-Video-Disc-/363173705003

I think Satan bought it.

I put a MUCH SMALLER BID on it to archive it. Not the type of archive were you put the unsealed box on shelf where no one sees it. The other archive, where you scan the box, manual and disk and make the program into an ATX so everyone can look and use it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Allan said:

Here is another CRAZY Atari 8-bit auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-800-XL-Rhiannon-Software-Cave-Girl-Clair-Computer-Game-Video-Disc-/363173705003

I think Satan bought it.

I put a MUCH SMALLER BID on it to archive it. Not the type of archive were you put the unsealed box on shelf where no one sees it. The other archive, where you scan the box, manual and disk and make the program into an ATX so everyone can look and use it.

I'm not surprised with something from Rhiannon Software. The titles are rare and seem to be pretty high quality, with nice artwork and in a bound book from Addison-Wesley. They're also unique titles, aimed at young females.

Those four games from Rhiannon are indeed very rare. First games featuring females

Clair (Cave Girl Clair, Addison Wesley, 1983, main character)

Lauren (Lauren of the 25th century, Addison Wesley, 1983, main character)

Chelsea (Chelsea of the south sea Islands, Addison Wesley, 1983, main character)

Jenny (Jenny of the prairie, Addison Wesley, 1984, main character)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, high voltage said:

You should be careful with your harsh comments. The game under question is an extremely rare test marketing version.

Full story can be found at arstechnica website.

Edited by Schnurrikowski
better word

15 minutes ago, Schnurrikowski said:

Full story can be found at arstechnica website.

Right, a "full story", where the main sources are CEO of Wata, the body which profits  from the whole "grading" sham, and one of the three buyers (yes, three of them chipped in to buy "shares" in this game...lol). That buyer sits on the board of Wata, which I'm sure is a total coincidence (they said it is so it must be true) ?

• Like 1

Yes authentication bodies for video games is frustrating.wata are known for falsification of quality as well. You don't see any antiques being sold at auction being incased in plastic shells, so why should we do it for video games. Yes, a lot of this stuff will deteriorate eventually, but encasing it means you have to break it open to get a second opinion. No other valuing service runs on the idea of preventing a second valuing service from doing their job. Whole thing is a con. 

• Like 2

WOW...ok I also thought of this and very closely inspected them with a magnifying glass.

The shrink wrap appears to be original (it has very small random holes caused by the plastic ageing and opening at stress points). Also, the edges of the box (where a human finger ---always--- bends the paper to open the lid) is  pristine, perfectly smooth NO cracks /bends appears untouched.

When you shake the boxes, you can "feel" that this is a book and a disks moving inside..

Also, this seller had a large number of unopened titles, that he confessed to me that he got lucky at an estate sale recently from a person that had passed away.

Wish I hadn't said that, might jinks myself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ColleenLover said:

WOW...ok I also thought of this and very closely inspected them with a magnifying glass.

The shrink wrap appears to be original (it has very small random holes caused by the plastic ageing and opening at stress points). Also, the edges of the box (where a human finger ---always--- bends the paper to open the lid) is  pristine, perfectly smooth NO cracks /bends appears untouched.

When you shake the boxes, you can "feel" that this is a book and a disks moving inside..

Also, this seller had a large number of unopened titles, that he confessed to me that he got lucky at an estate sale recently from a person that had passed away.

Wish I hadn't said that, might jinks myself.

You made a good deal with two awesome games.

3 hours ago, Preppie said:

Yes, but only the XE/XEGS version (grey carts with blue packages).  Then sell each one for 100 USD a piece... ;-)