IGNORED

800XL S-Video Jailbars after UAV Rev. D Install -- PLEASE HELP

NxtOp

Alright.  Lots of photos to try to avoid anybody spinning their wheels on advising install errors or such, so I hope that's helpful.  I installed the UAV Rev. D in this 800XL and it resulted in much crisper graphics, BUT it added vertical jailbars (gaps) between lines consistently across the entire screen and regardless of the source of graphics (I checked many different cartridge games but I'll spare you their extra photos as it's all consistent and the same visual results).  I'm outputting directly to S-Video and into a Dell flat panel that has S-Video port and composite port.  I cross-checked multiple video cables with NO difference either in results.  I hope someone here (or several of you) can enlighten me as to the potential source of the jailbars and what I can do to cure it.  My other 800XL with a UAV does NOT have the jailbars.  I've searched here on AA and on YT for potential things to diagnose and fix the jailbars for over a week (and I've read through about 30 of the 48 pages of the UAV rev. D thread), so I felt like it was time to post and beg for help.  So, here's the photos.

Here is BEFORE MOD INSTALL:

814915269_IMG_2335(1).thumb.jpg.642188b728d97e8134b8b6f7a3edfe68.jpg708788990_IMG_2336(1).thumb.jpg.09b2a61f96514bb761dc0ada6c5bd76f.jpg

IMG_2333.thumb.jpg.1e8f3776b0574c05c838771bf330db33.jpgIMG_2334.thumb.jpg.daef7e8efda22c23a228270f5c7b8e62.jpg

And now here is AFTER MOD INSTALLATION:

IMG_2341.thumb.jpg.b3f3c991b91dfeface9d46ab1ef2b262.jpgIMG_2340.thumb.jpg.3d6664deb4868c0ffe884f5b0a14f6b2.jpg

IMG_2337.thumb.jpg.99d0a6a78498430f974920fa8416bf4c.jpgIMG_2339.thumb.jpg.85da1c384823218c08c19b7a70b07b79.jpg

IMG_2338.thumb.jpg.badf31126c869a51c7980b1e3fcec289.jpg

Now the questions come flooding in about whether I buggered the install steps...

Here's the confirmation in advance--- NO, I have quadruple-checked that prior to posting.

Yes, the jumpers are set to 800XL for REV D board jumpers config----NOT Rev C jumpers.

Yes, I'm capturing Color In from R45 near the 4050 socket (it's underneath the UAV).

Yes I cut the UPPER end of L7 & L9 (nearest rear of board) and connected to Luma & Comp video correctly on the UAV.

Yes I tried grounding to the resistors around R66 prior to my current ground connection from under the rf modulator (NO difference on either ground source).

Yes, I connected the Pin 5 (Chroma) on the monitor port connector to the UAV

I don't mean any offense by sharing these affirmations in advance, I just want to help anyone with these questions or suggestions to save needless posts and logic circles (I've seen that cycle demonstrated a bunch of times over the >30 pgs of the Rev. D thread and other threads I've read through trying to find cause/solutions.

I hope someone can guide me on the diagnosis of this.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT-----

Interesting new observation....while the screen is cycling on screensaver at the Ready prompt, this example occurred:

IMG_2350.thumb.jpg.80a084c95e216733589335b173aff6f1.jpg

Edited by NxtOp
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

What's the pinout of your s-video cable? It looks like you're sending the composite output to your s-video Luma-in instead of luma.

Or maybe composite is mapped to your s-video chroma... since the grey bar looks OK...

Current cable is this one from 8BitClassics.com:  (I also tried one from Herculesworkshop.com)

image.thumb.png.1c98a5c51dfdd55b277c8a5f7e5aeb87.png

I haven't checked pin-out of the cables.  I'll have to do that and post the pinout I guess.

Edited by NxtOp

Do you have a multimeter to do continuity test to confirm only the luma + chroma + gnd pins are connected at the s-video plug? (No composite)

Composite+audio should map to the extra RCA leads.

8-bitclassics is a reputable seller, if those cables were a problem you'd think it would have been highlighted long ago...

Could be an issue with svideo on your particular display or it's tolerance for the signal from the atari too - have you tried any other displays?

8 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Do you have a multimeter to do continuity test to confirm only the luma + chroma + gnd pins are connected at the s-video plug? (No composite)

Composite+audio should map to the extra RCA leads.

8-bitclassics is a reputable seller, if those cables were a problem you'd think it would have been highlighted long ago...

Could be an issue with svideo on your particular display or it's tolerance for the signal from the atari too - have you tried any other displays?

Yes, I have a multimeter.  Will post the pinouts.  

I have not tried another display, but I will --- good reminder to not trust that piece of the puzzle.

Have you connected those L7&L9 wires to the component leads or the PCB where you cut them? It looks from the photo like you've soldered to the components, they are supposed to go to the pcb.

Side note: I have myUAV installed incorrectly LOL Just realized I've cut and soldered to the lead on L7&L9 at the bottom not the top!

On 11/21/2020 at 3:31 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Note this is backwards in the instructions. L7 = Composite.

And....THERE'S THE MAGIC SOLUTION!  

IMG_2359.thumb.jpg.1ae406ac1d2f4431f302eff7327fbb9a.jpg

Flashjazzcat and DrVenkman nailed it.  

So I didn't receive the secret decoder ring from someone that told me THE xxxxING INSTRUCTIONS ARE TYPED WRONG AND REVERSING THE COMP. VIDEO AND LUMA CONNECTION AT L7 & L9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WHY ARE THESE BAD INSTRUCTION MANUALS STILL BEING PRODUCED AND INCLUDED WITH THE UAV's???!!!

Come on TheBrewingAcademy!   

It's bad enough that I have to watch for dumb crap that I can do in the implementation, but inexcusable that anyone should have to work this hard to decipher the dumb work someone else is misleading folks with in the damn manual------- and NO MENTION OF IT IN OVER 30 PAGES OF THE UAV REV. D THREAD EITHER!!!!!!!!  Maybe it's on Pg 36 of the 48 page thread--- shame on me for stopping early!

OK, now that the RANT is over............  The video is awesome from the UAV.

Thanks to all you guys that gave this thread a read and tried to lend me a hand.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mr Robot said:

Have you connected those L7&L9 wires to the component leads or the PCB where you cut them? It looks from the photo like you've soldered to the components, they are supposed to go to the pcb.

Side note: I have myUAV installed incorrectly LOL Just realized I've cut and soldered to the lead on L7&L9 at the bottom not the top!

MR Robot - connect the wires to the PCB.  This feeds them to the video connector and eliminates the signal from the board through those ferrite bead components.

2 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

For standard composite, or S-Video, no Sophia or VBXE, that is certainly one beautiful image!

I agree.  The composite color out via the rca breakout on my cable is a bit more blurry, but I don't intend to use the composite breakout...just the s-video connector.

6 hours ago, NxtOp said:

And....THERE'S THE MAGIC SOLUTION!  

IMG_2359.thumb.jpg.1ae406ac1d2f4431f302eff7327fbb9a.jpg

Flashjazzcat and DrVenkman nailed it.  

So I didn't receive the secret decoder ring from someone that told me THE xxxxING INSTRUCTIONS ARE TYPED WRONG AND REVERSING THE COMP. VIDEO AND LUMA CONNECTION AT L7 & L9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WHY ARE THESE BAD INSTRUCTION MANUALS STILL BEING PRODUCED AND INCLUDED WITH THE UAV's???!!!

Come on TheBrewingAcademy!   

It's bad enough that I have to watch for dumb crap that I can do in the implementation, but inexcusable that anyone should have to work this hard to decipher the dumb work someone else is misleading folks with in the damn manual------- and NO MENTION OF IT IN OVER 30 PAGES OF THE UAV REV. D THREAD EITHER!!!!!!!!  Maybe it's on Pg 36 of the 48 page thread--- shame on me for stopping early!

OK, now that the RANT is over............  The video is awesome from the UAV.

Thanks to all you guys that gave this thread a read and tried to lend me a hand.

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago where Jon pointed out the instructions were the wrong way around:

It manifest for me because I'm only using a Composite lead at the moment, so got a rock-steady, (albeit B&W) picture because CV and Luma were swapped.

I too was quite disappointed that the instructions in the printed manual they are still sending out are the wrong way around.

I contacted them via their web page reply but have had no response from them. Maybe there should be a huge sticky titled "UAV INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG!" to get everyone's attention.

I'm still waiting on my 8bitClassics lead to make it over from the US to UK before I get full benefit out of my UAV, so hopefully I'll have as crisp an image as yourself, as I'm currently on "slightly better CV".

Edited by fenrock

• 9 months later...
23 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

The instructions are still way below the standard that has been set by many of the contributors to these forums. Very few of the pictures supplied are of very good quality.

I think MacRorie has been very busy just getting this stuff produced and out the door in a timely manner, and what he does provide in the way of documentation is a far cry better than what Lotharek does for his products (pretty much non-existent). Perhaps someone can help by providing better photos, or even offering to create the next gen manual ;)

• Like 2