IGNORED

What controllers do you have ? (poll)

Muddyfunster

What controllers do you have ?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. A quick poll to understand what controllers folks commonly have access to. Please select all that apply

• Proline Stick or Euro Pad (2 buttons)
    • Single button joystick
    • Driving Controller
    • Paddle
    • Keypad or Video Touchpad
    • Atari ST Mouse
    • Amiga Mouse
    • Trackball

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2020 at 08:46 PM

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I have a few ideas for games that would benefit from controllers other than joysticks or pads, like paddles, keypads and so on.

Can never have too many paddle games and I’d love to see a new game incorporate keypad or kids controller.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If you have the option to edit the poll, you may also want to add Jaguar joypads, 5200 sticks, and trackballs. Admittedly, the Jag and 5200 controllers would need adapters, but trackballs still use a DB-9.

Trackball is a great shout, I'll leave Jag and 5200 as I think adaptors to the 7800 for those are likely to be pretty uncommon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Darn. I have trak-balls for my 2600/5200 & 7800s, but answered the poll question before trak-ball was added as an option. 

Yeah, me too. I have several trackballs, including the Video61 modded CX-80 for the 7800. It's button placement isn't ideal and there is only one game for it (Centipede TB homebrew).

4 minutes ago, nadir said:

Why adapter for the Sega Genesis controllers on the 7800?  I remember using them on my 2600 natively.  What's different with the 7800?

Two independently functioning buttons.  You can use a Sega Genesis controller on the 7800 without an adapter for single button games; however, for proper functionality of two buttons required titles, an adapter is needed or the controller needs to be wired differently.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RevEng said:

FWIW, if a mouse game for the 7800 does come to pass, ps2->amiga/st adapter kits are like $15 shipped. So it's no big hardship, and as a bonus you can use a modern-DPI LED mouse.

That's what I use on both my pimped out STE and CD32, better than the old ball variety for sure.

• Like 2

They're fairly excellent on the 7800 too; I developed the 7800basic drivers using them. They're also more reliable than mixing old mice with this old console. (uncovered by @SmittyB's tireless testing)

I'd love to see someone do a 7800 port of the arcade game Quantum some day. Mouse and trakball support for that one would be perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My homemade dual Atari 7800/Genesis twin stick built with the Edladdin Easy 78 PCB and a Genesis 6 button PCB. Joysticks are Sanwa JLW, buttons are Crown SDB-202MX Cherry. With my Seagull 78 adapter attached to the Genesis side it becomes an Atari 7800 twin stick for Robotron 2084. I also use the genesis side on my Vectrex and SNES with my VecAdapt and MD to SNES convertors. The case is made from a discarded oak TV tray and the back of an old cork message board.

Genesis Atari 7800 Twin Stick.jpg

• Like 4