IGNORED

Atari's Galaxian

Grevle

I think this game look very nice, but are lacking in the sound fx. I had this game back in the day and while the the starfield and galaxians look pretty good,the sound fx doesn't really fit the game very well, dragging down the game i think. I think the Galaxian clone "galactic chase" has better sounds. Would be nice to see a sound hack of the Galaxian game to improve sound fx as this game is often overlooked it seems..

Galaxian.png.1f032e615090036e5d7afdf345b59884.png

Galactic Chase every time..

Same as Space Invaders, endorsed by Taito but just a horrible game..

Space invaders and Galaxian, two games the Atari folk wanted badly and badly is what they got. You know you have screwed a license when the 3rd party clones just destroy the official versions.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I'm loathe to be too critical of any game, but man did Atari drop the ball on this.  Compare this version to the Colecovision version, not even close.  Forget about comparing it to the 7800 homebrew - that's amazing.

This is another one that I wish would get an updated hack.  I'm not sure if it's limited since it's a cart, but I know the A8 can do waaay better.

Just tried Galactic Chase again because I didn't have much experience with it. I can't say I prefer it to Atari's Galaxian.  It's not as colorful, the starfield is too sparse, and the diving aliens flicker.  It has better shooting/explosion sound FX but also has this REALLY annoying grinding background sound (like the engine of a truck), so I prefer Galaxian's sounds overall, lacking as they are.  Both games play acceptably well.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Just tried Galactic Chase again because I didn't have much experience with it. I can't say I prefer it to Atari's Galaxian.  It's not as colorful, the starfield is too sparse, and the diving aliens flicker.  It has better shooting/explosion sound FX but also has this REALLY annoying grinding background sound (like the engine of a truck), so I prefer Galaxian's sounds overall, lacking as they are.  Both games play acceptably well.

This encapsulates my thoughts on the two games also.

IIRC, Galactic Chase starts out rather slow and boring. Although, I think you can start at a higher level to begin with to get around that.

For me, there's a broader theme here - it's quite obvious that the A8 line had a lot more "in the tank".  We see this in the modern homebrews (not counting VBXE, but that's another level).  Perhaps Atari didn't make it so easy, but with some heavy lifting, there's some really strong capability that just wasn't shown in some of the arcade conversions.

It's hard to see something like Space Harrier or Prince of Persia, and then see a 3rd party version of a game turn out better than the licensed version.

I've ranted on this before, and I get the business case of why some games were never made for the A8 line, but part of me feels that if more care were taken early on, it may have yielded better results later.

• Like 1

To be frank, Atari's galaxian is lacking a little in audio with some inappropriate sound effects, and the commanders are the wrong shape. But it's amazingly playable and I think that's what they developers often got right. 

I played it to death when I got it on cartridge. A different experience to the arcade granted but still a great game. 

For me, galactic chase was washed out visually, slow, and the sound effects were somewhat grating. But this is only my opinion.