IGNORED

Lynx II problems...

DarkLord

Hi. First of all, thanks for the reply.

No, it doesn't work with any of my game carts. It gives that same screen. Speaker makes a small

"pop" when you turn it on. I tried it with 6 brand new alkaline batteries and directly through the

AC adapter. 

I googled a bit, and found some similar looking posts in other places. It looks like its something

to do with the screen, failed on the main PCB?

Anyway, that's why I was asking if anyone still did Lynx repairs. I can solder a very *little*, but

not good at diagnostics (unless it's obvious). This particular Lynx has been rock solid and has

never been abused by me (bought it used probably 4-5 years ago but it's been fine).

Thanks, much appreciated. 

I actually just got a Lynx II recently off eBay to learn how to repair. If you're going to buy capacitors, I'd get them from console5.com instead of eBay. WAY cheaper and they ship out fast. Mark Fixes Stuff on YouTube has a couple good Lynx videos of him replacing capacitors and things so you can at least get an idea of what you're up against if you decide to try it yourself. Please keep us updated though. When I was searching online I noticed a lot of people never gave any updates, which makes troubleshooting that more difficult in the future. Good luck though!

It's actually quite rare that caps are the culprits with a lynx unit that won't "fire" beyond the larger power caps (C39 on Lynx 1, C41 on Lynx 2)

More likely, the cartridge slot is dirty or the pins are bent on the slot. If it's just a screen issue, you can easily verify by putting a game in and turning the sound

up. If it's only the screen, the unit will "play blind" to borrow an arcade game phrase. You'll hear the sounds and music, you can start and play the game, you just

can't see whats going on with the screen. If your not hearing volume, and can't play the game "blind" then it's not likely to be just a screen problem.

I have a similar issue with one I just purchased. I bought a lynx 2 as not working and wont power on. Contacts were really dirty. Tried to clean them now I get a pop sound from the speakers on power up and the back light comes on. no display or sound on a game that has sound on start up. What is the best way to clean the contacts? Some still look pretty dirty. One thing I noticed when I tried with the new Game Drive in it it does the beep when you hit the button. But it doesn't load the game, it just keeps beeping whenever you hit the button to load the roms.

Also looks like the two caps on the top left were replaced. Anyone know the values so I don't have to take apart another of my lynx to check? They look bigger then the rest of the caps, Maybe wrong values? Only thing that looks like it was replaced is those 2 caps.

Thanks

1 hour ago, karri said:

console5 has good documentation of all the caps and also schematics. It is in their wiki.

I usually use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning contacts.

Karri, I have been using your titan game as the test cart. I now get sound and gameplay. Still no display. I swapped the display with a known good, the ribbon cable also had corrosion on the pins. The other display still didn't work, must be the connector for the cable is damaged as well.

The caps I was asking about are the correct values.

I'll mess around with it later. I have a bennvenn display in the mail, maybe the pins is uses are fine.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for the tips.

1 hour ago, thefred said:

Karri, I have been using your titan game as the test cart. I now get sound and gameplay. Still no display. I swapped the display with a known good, the ribbon cable also had corrosion on the pins. The other display still didn't work, must be the connector for the cable is damaged as well.

The caps I was asking about are the correct values.

I'll mess around with it later. I have a bennvenn display in the mail, maybe the pins is uses are fine.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for the tips.

Did you get Benn's new solderless version or the older solder in one? It doesn't really matter as I believe Benn left the pads on he newer version so you can solder it in place regardless.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Did you get Benn's new solderless version or the older solder in one? It doesn't really matter as I believe Benn left the pads on he newer version so you can solder it in place regardless.

I got the solderless model.

It came in the mail today with another elcheapo cart. 

It may work fine with the issues I am having with this one, when it is held ant an extreme angle I was able to see the insert game message. So it might also have a brightness dial also. I was able to see the ship on the game once. My main issue now is the cartridge slot. It is giving me a hassle to get it to turn on quite a bit. When it turns on, sometimes I can play blind but most of the time I get the music and it wont start the game. I don't think it is a membrane issue, just a communication issue between the cart and system.

Does anyone sell lynx 2 cart connectors?

5 minutes ago, thefred said:

I got the solderless model.

It came in the mail today with another elcheapo cart. 

It may work fine with the issues I am having with this one, when it is held ant an extreme angle I was able to see the insert game message. So it might also have a brightness dial also. I was able to see the ship on the game once. My main issue now is the cartridge slot. It is giving me a hassle to get it to turn on quite a bit. When it turns on, sometimes I can play blind but most of the time I get the music and it wont start the game. I don't think it is a membrane issue, just a communication issue between the cart and system.

Does anyone sell lynx 2 cart connectors?

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the solderless version. I have on hand 2 of the older solder in versions and just installed one of them into another AA members Lynx II last week and have always been impressed with the results and the soldering work isn't that involved. 

4 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Ha. This is why I'm jealous of people like this. My soldering skills are so low-level that just

turning on my soldering iron is "involved".   :)

Well, I just mean in comparison to much smaller scale stuff like installing an DCDigital, or even installing a McWill into a GG for instance.

14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the solderless version. I have on hand 2 of the older solder in versions and just installed one of them into another AA members Lynx II last week and have always been impressed with the results and the soldering work isn't that involved. 

I installed a solderless one in another lynx, it only took me about 15 min that I remember, it was simple. I did install the wire for the backlight. Only one wire to solder and it is optional.

Only complaint that I had was the wire was short, but I assume it was made that way so it doesn't get pinched. The original one also was hard to plug in.

Check out Igor's post, I think it was in gamer articles in this forum.

Just a repair update, I installed the solderless screen and I received the insert game message clear right off the bat. I messed with the cart connector a bit and then the game came up clear. At least for a few seconds. I am 99% sure the issues are the cartridge connector.

Are there any sources for the connectors any more? Some pins are discolored. I even tried sandpaper to clean them up. 

I have a few other Lynx with issues, I'm just not the best at desoldering My eyes aren't what they used to be, That is why I am glad about the solderless version of the screen. Luckily it worked out for me on this Lynx.

I paid $45 shipped for this one with a game that wouldn't turn on. I cleaned the pins on the game and it works fine on my other lynx.

Let me know if anyone has a connector, or source for one.

25 minutes ago, thefred said:

Just a repair update, I installed the solderless screen and I received the insert game message clear right off the bat. I messed with the cart connector a bit and then the game came up clear. At least for a few seconds. I am 99% sure the issues are the cartridge connector.

Are there any sources for the connectors any more? Some pins are discolored. I even tried sandpaper to clean them up. 

I have a few other Lynx with issues, I'm just not the best at desoldering My eyes aren't what they used to be, That is why I am glad about the solderless version of the screen. Luckily it worked out for me on this Lynx.

I paid $45 shipped for this one with a game that wouldn't turn on. I cleaned the pins on the game and it works fine on my other lynx.

Let me know if anyone has a connector, or source for one.

Well, I have a few lynx II units that were donated to me as parts units or whatever I wanted with them. I'm sure I could try and remove the cart slot from one of them. Although them being dead units, I don't know the exact condition of the cart slots on them.

Another game you can use for quick check to see if the main logic is at least working, would be Chips Challenge as I believe it will come up fully with the music playing on the title screen once it boots up. Pitfighter is another one that comes up pretty quickly and straight to music and sound effects on its demo mode kicking in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I have a few lynx II units that were donated to me as parts units or whatever I wanted with them. I'm sure I could try and remove the cart slot from one of them. Although them being dead units, I don't know the exact condition of the cart slots on them.

Another game you can use for quick check to see if the main logic is at least working, would be Chips Challenge as I believe it will come up fully with the music playing on the title screen once it boots up. Pitfighter is another one that comes up pretty quickly and straight to music and sound effects on its demo mode kicking in.

I have been using Karris titan game from the competition. It plays music on boot up and game starts quickly, you can hear the shots firing. 

If you would be able to get the slot off intact I would be able to resolder it on. I'm just not the best on getting old components off intact. I'll be willing to go that route if you could do it for me, I'm sure your slot must be in better condition then mine.

5 minutes ago, thefred said:

I have been using Karris titan game from the competition. It plays music on boot up and game starts quickly, you can hear the shots firing. 

If you would be able to get the slot off intact I would be able to resolder it on. I'm just not the best on getting old components off intact. I'll be willing to go that route if you could do it for me, I'm sure your slot must be in better condition then mine.

Should't be a problem. I have some Lynx units to  work on anyway and should be able to get one removed for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Should't be a problem. I have some Lynx units to  work on anyway and should be able to get one removed for you.

Sounds great, let me know the cost and I'll get payment to you.

I'm leaving on a work trip on Sat, I'll be working on it again when I get back after a week.