IGNORED

Mega ST vs STE

@zzip those are RJ (keyboard probably) 3.5mm audio in/out and DB9 (mouse/JS).  No USB.  If you look at the pic of the motherboard here https://www.wizztronics.com/microbox.html you can kinda make out what those ports are.

Speaking of the MicroBox - I was talking to Steve at Wizztronics recently and he put that picture up on the website as a "teaser" to a potential project he's considering.  Not holding my breath, but wouldn't that be something cool?!?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swatcop said:

@zzip those are RJ (keyboard probably) 3.5mm audio in/out and DB9 (mouse/JS).  No USB.  If you look at the pic of the motherboard here https://www.wizztronics.com/microbox.html you can kinda make out what those ports are.

Speaking of the MicroBox - I was talking to Steve at Wizztronics recently and he put that picture up on the website as a "teaser" to a potential project he's considering.  Not holding my breath, but wouldn't that be something cool?!?

ok cool.  I looked up several pics of the Falcon 040.  All were rather low-res so it was hard to see the detail, but they strongly resemble USB ports in some of the pics, although they looked a bit on the large size for that.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

ok cool.  I looked up several pics of the Falcon 040.  All were rather low-res so it was hard to see the detail, but they strongly resemble USB ports in some of the pics, although they looked a bit on the large size for that.

Yeah, I assumed they would be DE9 ports for mouse / joustick.  But that means also they were going to use the same keyboards for the Mega ST/STe/TT.  Which would have been great!

I want a microbox....

1 hour ago, swatcop said:

I wasn't even aware wizztronics was still around!  I really should move my Falcon into that wizztronics rack mounted case that I have...

On 11/29/2020 at 3:40 AM, AtariNostalgia said:

What are the differences between the Mega ST and STE (other than the blitter chip)?

Even wikipaedia doesn't have an entry for the Mega ST (just the STE).

Can anyone provide photos of the 2?

Also, one of the biggest differences between the Mega ST and the Mega STE other than casing are the BUS ports:

Mega ST

Has a bespoke MegaBus expansion port, unique to this machine.  First ST to have a BLiTTER as standard as already mentioned, runs at 8MHz with a 512 colour palette.

Mega STE

Has a VME expansion bus, like the TT, and of course has 8-bit DMA stereo sound, like the 520 and 1040 STEs, as well as a 4096 colour palette as mentioned.  Also has BLiTTER, and can run at 16MHz switchable back to 8MHz.

• 10 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, Atari74user said:

Also, one of the biggest differences between the Mega ST and the Mega STE other than casing are the BUS ports:

Mega ST

Has a bespoke MegaBus expansion port, unique to this machine.  First ST to have a BLiTTER as standard as already mentioned, runs at 8MHz with a 512 colour palette.

Mega STE

Has a VME expansion bus, like the TT, and of course has 8-bit DMA stereo sound, like the 520 and 1040 STEs, as well as a 4096 colour palette as mentioned.  Also has BLiTTER, and can run at 16MHz switchable back to 8MHz.

Did the Mega ST have the two extra (and slightly higher speed) serial ports the Mega STE had?

Also the Mega STE had 1.44 MB floppy support which the Mega ST did not have 

4 minutes ago, Xebec said:

Did the Mega ST have the two extra (and slightly higher speed) serial ports the Mega STE had?

Also the Mega STE had 1.44 MB floppy support which the Mega ST did not have 

No. The Mega ST came with the one single ST standard serial port.

You are correct about the native 1.44HD floppy support for the Mega STe.

HTH's.  :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

No. The Mega ST came with the one single ST standard serial port.

You are correct about the native 1.44HD floppy support for the Mega STe.

HTH's.  :)

The Mega STe had an upgrade allowing 1.44mb, but the early ones didn't support it initially.  TT030 had it though.  (At least I think it always did).

Right, early Mega STEs were with 720K (DD) floppy drive. But support for HD (1.44) is there, need just to insert such drive and move DIP switch. But I don't think that floppies are now much interesting. And there was TOS 2.05, what I guess most upgraded already.

As is not interesting some kind of LAN port (Apple Talk compatible if I remember correct) - by MIDI connectors. It is very old and slow for today, or even 20 years ago standards.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

6 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Right, early Mega STEs were with 720K (DD) floppy drive. But support for HD (1.44) is there, need just to insert such drive and move DIP switch. But I don't think that floppies are now much interesting. And there was TOS 2.05, what I guess most upgraded already.

As is not interesting some kind of LAN port (Apple Talk compatible if I remember correct) - by MIDI connectors. It is very old and slow for today, or even 20 years ago standards.

Ha, still have yet to find any software that will utilize the 'LAN port' on the TT / Mega STe.  I think I found some mentioned for the Falcon at some point, but only those 3 had that Apple Talk port that they couldn't call Apple Talk... 

I have owned 2 Mega STes now (I really should see if I can fix my original one.  Saw a video on the STe with tge same issue (white screen) and it was one of the chips that go bad, that now skips my mind...) and neither came with TOS 2.06.  Though my original did eventually have a bad motherboard, and got an upgrade to 2.06 because it was still under warranty at the time. 

Edited by leech

19 hours ago, leech said:

The Mega STe had an upgrade allowing 1.44mb, but the early ones didn't support it initially.  TT030 had it though.  (At least I think it always did).

Well, they all "supported" it in that the foundation was already laid.

Hence my "native 1.44HD floppy support" comment.

But enough...get busy and fix that Mega STe, you slacker! You know

you want to!  :)

8 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Well, they all "supported" it in that the foundation was already laid.

Hence my "native 1.44HD floppy support" comment.

But enough...get busy and fix that Mega STe, you slacker! You know

you want to!  :)

I really should!  Now if I could remotely remember what chip it was that was replaced in that video i watched that fixed the white screen.  Problem with that computer is I had it sitting with the top off and slid under my bed at one point and mice were getting in, and well used it as a toilet as mice do to a computer... I cleaned all that up as much as I could, but it wouldn't surprise me if some corrosion happened on some sockets. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, leech said:

I really should!  Now if I could remotely remember what chip it was that was replaced in that video i watched that fixed the white screen.  Problem with that computer is I had it sitting with the top off and slid under my bed at one point and mice were getting in, and well used it as a toilet as mice do to a computer... I cleaned all that up as much as I could, but it wouldn't surprise me if some corrosion happened on some sockets. 

Ugh!   :)

43 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Ugh!   :)

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.  But it being my first ST... I really should fix it up.  The 1435SC also is... ugh, many moons ago (and the reason I stopped using the Mega STe) the monitor's RGB port had cracked on the PCB... I recently had gotten it to work again by some solder magic on scratching free some traces, and attempting to repair it, but of course solder does not make a strong PCB... so it cracked again, and when I looked to try to fix it again, the solder rings just completely melted away, so I need to figure that out... and getting inside one of those things to do repair is a sketchy adventure...

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2021 at 5:19 PM, DarkLord said:

I have to admit, generally speaking, while working on lots of ST's and

my beloved STacy, I've shied away from doing any monitor repair,

beyond the cosmetic or obvious...

Was looking up something else and ran into this thread... but I did fix my SC1435 (3 times it took to find the right spot for jumpering thr red).  I also replaced the power switch, as it finally died.

14 hours ago, leech said:

Was looking up something else and ran into this thread... but I did fix my SC1435 (3 times it took to find the right spot for jumpering thr red).  I also replaced the power switch, as it finally died.

Well, glad you got it working. Be a shame to let a SC1435 go to waste and collect dust.  :)

3 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Well, glad you got it working. Be a shame to let a SC1435 go to waste and collect dust.  :)

For sure!  Now if I could get the balls to try and replace the flyback and power switch in another one I acquired... and try to straighten out and fix the cracked motherboard of the one I got from the UK... that one is just wrecked... pretty sure the PCBs in those monitors were made with particle board... or cardboard...

• Like 1

Ah the flyback.  Those who have the balls to discharge that circuit with a screwdriver blade have my respect.  Always gives me the shakes, especially when working alone with nobody to operate a defibrillator or give CPR to restart the old heart.  Better to just unplug it and wait two years.  I love CRTs, but LCDs are much less stressful.  :)

6 minutes ago, RodLightning said:

Ah the flyback.  Those who have the balls to discharge that circuit with a screwdriver blade have my respect.  Always gives me the shakes, especially when working alone with nobody to operate a defibrillator or give CPR to restart the old heart.  Better to just unplug it and wait two years.  I love CRTs, but LCDs are much less stressful.  :)

Right?  I actually even bought the proper tool for it... I still do not have the courage to work on it.  I am a little ballsier when it comes to things not quite close to that.  Like I somehow figured out on one of my Commodore 1084S monitors that the reason I wasn't getting blue was due to a potentiometer was being shorted out by a resistor that somehow was bent enough to touch it.  I spent HOURS trying to figure that one out, was very carefully adjusting the color while it was plugged in, etc.  As soon as I bent that bastard away, boom, the blue popped in, and then I had to go back to adjust the color pots on the CRT stem... that is two monitors so far I have been able to fix without frying.  😀

2 hours ago, leech said:

For sure!  Now if I could get the balls to try and replace the flyback and power switch in another one I acquired... and try to straighten out and fix the cracked motherboard of the one I got from the UK... that one is just wrecked... pretty sure the PCBs in those monitors were made with particle board... or cardboard...

Ah, I'm sure you'll get around to it, by and by... :)

• Like 1

Also, the STE (Mega STE and I think the TT, NOT the Falcon, ST or Mega ST) had the Microwire interface, this enabled Bass, Treble and Balance control along with YM and DMA sound mixing volume.

1 minute ago, EJRS said:

Also, the STE (Mega STE and I think the TT, NOT the Falcon, ST or Mega ST) had the Microwire interface, this enabled Bass, Treble and Balance control along with YM and DMA sound mixing volume.

The TT would, as I think it has all the same signals as the STEs, and then some for the updated VGA, right?  I would imagine the Falcon does as well, though perhaps not.  These are controlled via the sound module in the control panel, no?