IGNORED

Light Sixer Capacitor Question

Galena

I have a quick question on the Replace C103 with a .22uf 100v or better mylar cap that is detailed on this site.  I am not able to determine on the board or the chiclet capacitor (first two photos).  Does anyone know which way the negative and positive need to go because I am not able to determine any markings on the board.

Also I noticed there is another chiclet capacitor on the main board but the guide does not indicate this needs to be replaced (third photo).  Is this correct?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I am really new to this.  I am just trying to fix this 2600 to relive some of my 2600 space jockey memories.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mike

PXL_20201203_041758045.jpg

PXL_20201203_041807284.jpg

PXL_20201203_041834452.jpg

Those are film caps. Film caps do not have polarity the way electrolytic capacitors do. You can't install them backwards.

Only certain caps are known to frequently go bad on these units. The one in the 3rd picture is not known to have issues often, if ever. 

Edited by nick3092

Well I ran into a few problems.

First on the Switchboard, one of the trace pads around the 4.7uf cap came off, so I ran some wire based upon what I thought the board had.  Let me know what you think (Photo 1).

Next, I just now noticed that the guide indicated that C201 should be a 4.7uf 35v or higher cap.  But the kit i bought off ebay had the chiclet on photo 2.  I am guessing that is no good and I will have to remove.  Let me know your thoughts.

PXL_20201204_222654241.jpg

PXL_20201204_222617893.jpg

Yes, C201 is a 4.7uf electrolytic. You installed a .1uf film cap in its place. You will need to replace it with a proper capacitor.

As for the trace repair, I can't say for 100% without having it in front of me. You can also take a look at the schematic in the service manual (it has 2 schematics for 6sw switchboards - channel 3 only and channel 2/3 switchable) and use a DMM to make sure the cap lead has continuity to the other components it should.