IGNORED

Iron Soldier 3 NUON reprint coming 2021 from Songbird

Songbird

Posting here because historically a number of Jag fans were also NUON fans and of course IS fans too. :) This is a licensed reprint of the elusive Iron Soldier 3 game for the NUON DVD system, and will include full-color DVD wrap, professionally mastered disc, and 28-page booklet. Planning to open pre-orders soon once I figure out a suitable system to use.

https://songbird-productions.com/2020/12/02/its-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-part-1/

d9cc2b60-9498-47d2-ba49-91ac617d8273.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Very very cool. Congrats on getting the rights to publish this. It's the best game on the Nuon, very much deserving to be played by more people. I wonder how many Nuons are around still. I've got mine ?

Carl I have a semi-related question, so not hijack this thread but asuming that you talked to someone from Eclipse to get IS3 released, do you happen to know anything about their Jaguar game projects that never made it out the door?

Marc Rosocha once told me about a textured car game he was working on. And on one of the €-Jagfests Daniel showed us some work in progress artwork for a very colourful jump 'n run. Any chance that any of this might make it out to us as well sometime in the future?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Songbird said:

Posting here because historically a number of Jag fans were also NUON fans and of course IS fans too. :) This is a licensed reprint of the elusive Iron Soldier 3 game for the NUON DVD system, and will include full-color DVD wrap, professionally mastered disc, and 28-page booklet. Planning to open pre-orders soon once I figure out a suitable system to use.

https://songbird-productions.com/2020/12/02/its-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-part-1/

Are Nuon controllers available at reasonable price?  Or perhaps other controllers can be hacked to work with Nuon enabled dvd players?  Controllers looked expensive on eBay.

7 hours ago, jguff said:

Are Nuon controllers available at reasonable price?  Or perhaps other controllers can be hacked to work with Nuon enabled dvd players?  Controllers looked expensive on eBay.

At this point, sadly no.  However, there's a possibility that the specialty chip (Polyface) required for Nuon controllers has been located en masse.  If this turns out to be true, we finally have options for custom controllers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

@PeterG Sorry, I don't think Eclipse has any nearly-finished (or even half-finished) Jaguar projects from back in the day...

@mutterminder Pre-orders coming soon! :)

Thanks for the answer Carl. Well I didn't know anything about how far along they were, just very curious. Ok, too bad, I thought this would be a good time to ask this as I wasn't aware if anyone had been in contact with them in the last years. I always hoped something more would surface because in my view Eclipse was a top devteam. Good that we got the three IS games.

Awesome, very happy to hear this! IS3 was the only game I missed out on, since I was out of the country when it launched (was gone for a couple of years, so when I got back, it was already a big rarity). 

Glad I also bought an extra controller or two back-in-the-day, but would still be happy to see something new come along

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Austin said:

This is excellent news. The game has been prohibitively expensive for a long time, not to mention quite uncommon.

Most of them were recalled for some kind of bug.  Very few original boxed copies exist in the wild, the only one I know about K3V from NUON-Dome has.  It was supposed to be released again with the fix for the bug but VM Labs went bustola and about 300 copies were distributed as a free Demo in the NUON-Dome forum at the end.  Awesome that it is getting released again but I bet it does not have the bug fixed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chris Brockman said:

Most of them were recalled for some kind of bug.  Very few original boxed copies exist in the wild, the only one I know about K3V from NUON-Dome has.  It was supposed to be released again with the fix for the bug but VM Labs went bustola and about 300 copies were distributed as a free Demo in the NUON-Dome forum at the end.  Awesome that it is getting released again but I bet it does not have the bug fixed.

Yeah - but if memory serves me (and it probably won't), it was a very obscure bug that only manifested on one type of machine.  I honestly do not recall ever hearing a single person that got the Nuon-Dome version to have an issue (myself included, I have a Samsung DVD-N501).  I never tried the game on my SD2300.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yeah - but if memory serves me (and it probably won't), it was a very obscure bug that only manifested on one type of machine.  I honestly do not recall ever hearing a single person that got the Nuon-Dome version to have an issue (myself included, I have a Samsung DVD-N501).  I never tried the game on my SD2300.

Same here.  Never heard of anyone having a bug.  I never even ever saw where they said what the bug was.  Mystery....

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

My understanding is the bug only manifested on the Toshiba SD-2300. 

Also, re your comment on the proprietary polyface chip for the controllers, Lee Olivares has had the only remaining stock for a few years now, handed over to him by Nick Persijn. Glad the boards/new controllers will be available soon!

25 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

My understanding is the bug only manifested on the Toshiba SD-2300. 

Also, re your comment on the proprietary polyface chip for the controllers, Lee Olivares has had the only remaining stock for a few years now, handed over to him by Nick Persijn. Glad the boards/new controllers will be available soon!

What about these? https://www.avspares.com/parts/search?parts=POLYFACE1+NUON+TQFP-48

Part Number Description Qty Units Cond Cert Price ($)
POLYFACE1 POLYFACE1 NUON TQFP-48 IC component Email: sales@eis-ic.com 92968 Piece NEW ROHS COMPLIANT / COC 0.01000

or this? or this https://www.jotrin.com/product/mfg/NUON

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/whatever-happened-with-the-controller-boards-to-build-spinner-controllers-and-what-not-for-the-nuon.167315/

Edited by The Helper