IGNORED

California Games was actually in production for the ATARI 8-Bit but no code might have ever been produced.

abbotkinneydude

Hi.

I think that maybe some are not seeing things correct or maybe me.

From the letter what I get is that Epyx called for a coder that was supposed doing the A8 version of the game but suddenly we no longer answered their calls so maybe whe had given up.

When they wrote that they want to see something, even as a beta version so they can do the packadge with some screenshots show that was their own production not for Atari. From this is what I understand.

So it's Epyx and would, for sure, come on diskette like Summer Games was only (not on tape). This is related to A8 long times tape loading for sure while all others had the game also in tape format.

If Atari Corporation would later take the rights to released it on cart or not we will never know.

Just my thinking...

P.s.- Later on the day I remember, like a bit (probably not so sure as him though) that the computer store I usual go and sometimes was there also selling while owner and/or employer go out (taking some copies for me as a reward) that I saw a guy over a surf board similar to the surf one on California Games but at that time I didn't even know of it in any format.

They had a ZX48K and an Atari800Xl, one next to the other with a tv for each. I think that this showing was on the Atari tv as I also remember it was coloured so no way it could be the Zx's blue water with just the guy and board in white. Probably I'm wrong as it a little bit more than 30years ago.

How could a wip came here? Don't also know but on those days and for a long time there wasn't here right and laws for computer games and software so guys with money and/or parents that work foreigner (usually on the U.K.) get them as originals and seel copies to all stores but also some even sold the originals to one or two for people buying them earning some great money.

At the end the guy behind the store went on bankruptcy when he had said to me he will offer me all that was inside (including also some duisc-drives and a couple of 800XL). I was a year trying to find him, discouver his house and mom's one, the ex-wife but not him. He was indeed in uncertain part because he was with police and courts trying to find him Seems he had other things, maybe that A8 store (indeed another one also) just to 'blind' other things...

55 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

No, it's entirely clear California Games would've been developed by Epyx but released on cartridge by Atari under catalog number RX8122 through the licensing agreement mentioned in the letter.

I guess the real question is, can someone do a port now?  :)

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, zzip said:

This is my 'flippy' disk for "Beyond Castle Wolfenstein".   It looks shady as hell!   But I swear it's not a pirate copy and was packaged this way inside the standard game box from Muse Software,  including the BASF sleeve.

image.png.5ae75b46290e6219866c0532f5fa05b1.png

Someone sent me a bunch of stuff to preserve and one was Beyond CW. I imaged the disk. I'm thinking yours might have been a return. Although it was weird that it said it was for Apple IIe, but that was crossed out... It was an Atari disk.

1794299503_BeyondCastleWolfenstein-MuseSoftware-DiskImage.thumb.png.e513bfb7eb22342160dbcf93bc17f888.png

Maybe they ran out of Atari labels and then ran out of all labels and just started printing them on their dot matrix printer.

Main Street Publishing re-released many games in budget format and sometimes had weird packaging such as this box:

http://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/6074

The label is typical Main Street Publishing "quality" and even the disk sleeve is in line with what the company churned out. Sometimes, it seems they just used leftovers found God knows where. 

22 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Main Street Publishing re-released many games in budget format and sometimes had weird packaging such as this box:

http://www.a8preservation.com/#/software/release/6074

The label is typical Main Street Publishing "quality" and even the disk sleeve is in line with what the company churned out. Sometimes, it seems they just used leftovers found God knows where. 

Interesting, so they could produce standard quality boxes but couldn't be bothered to get professional labels or blank disk sleeves ?