IGNORED

GONE: High-density DSHD/2S2H/MD2HD 5.25" soft-sectored floppy disks in packs

OLD CS1

Got these a while back for a fairly good price, not realizing they were HD rather than DD.  Sometimes it helps to not be in a hurry when reading descriptions.

IMG_3829.thumb.JPG.aa7cc6e66c5a42957c03b3090e69ef92.JPG

The following are available:

• 2 sets of 25 unbranded bagged ($15 ea.)
  • 2 sets of 11 unbranded loose ($6 ea.)
  • 1 set of 10 3M loose ($6)
  • 1 set of 6 FujiFilm loose ($3.60)

Price reflects $.60 per disk plus shipping to USA and Canadialand.

These will not ship via Media Mail, as per USPS Notice 121, October 2012:

Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.

(Emphasis added.)

1 minute ago, Asaki said:

You could always write a little TXT file to each one :ponder:

Or I could format and write a single file to each disk to meet the "prerecorded information" requirement.

3 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Kind of like how people get around re-selling Windows by including an old HDD with it.

Even better, a simple power cord satisfies the OEM and system builder requirements.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am still looking for the damned things.  Difficult to believe in a 12x10 room they could disappear, but they have.  Mind you, the room is also eight feet high, so that literally adds another dimension to the search.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 8:45 PM, masteries said:

what is the size of these 5,25" disks?

Do you mean capacity? That would be 1.2 MB, 96 tpi, ~600 Oe as far as I can tell. Pretty much only usable on IBM PC and compatibles. There may be a stray other format that used those but generally not. Based on empiric evidence, you may be able to format one of those to DD capacity in e.g. a Commodore 1571 drive but it wouldn't hold its formatting for any longer period of time because the heads are too weak to write to the magnetic layer. Other DD drives (including 1541) will fail outright. Even systems that are 80 tracks and take the so-called QD 96-100 tpi disks won't be able to use the 1.2 MB ones, at least not for any longer period of time.

Or did you mean physical size of a 5.25" floppy disk? :-D

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Do you mean capacity? That would be 1.2 MB, 96 tpi, ~600 Oe as far as I can tell. Pretty much only usable on IBM PC and compatibles. There may be a stray other format that used those but generally not. Based on empiric evidence, you may be able to format one of those to DD capacity in e.g. a Commodore 1571 drive but it wouldn't hold its formatting for any longer period of time because the heads are too weak to write to the magnetic layer. Other DD drives (including 1541) will fail outright. Even systems that are 80 tracks and take the so-called QD 96-100 tpi disks won't be able to use the 1.2 MB ones, at least not for any longer period of time.

Or did you mean physical size of a 5.25" floppy disk? :-D

Thanks,

1.2 MB for IBM PC is the type of 5,25" disks I am searching for,

I´ll take all the remaining disks,

Edited by masteries

3 hours ago, masteries said:

Thanks,

1.2 MB for IBM PC is the type of 5,25" disks I am searching for,

I´ll take all the remaining disks,

Sorry, my friend, but I am only shipping to Norte America.  I appreciate your interest.

Otherwise, I have turned my office up-side-down. I can only conclude I put the disks into my climate-controlled storage right before the move to a new facility.  It is going to take me weeks to find them so I am withdrawing this thread until I have them in my grubby meat-beaters.

• 1 month later...

I have located the disks!  They were cleverly hidden in a box among some DD disks, apparently during consolidation work to free up closet space.  I did not do such a good job turning my office up-side down earlier.  Much shame.

@ghost1313 has first claim on two sets of 25 bagged

@x=usr(1536) has second claim on two sets of 25 bagged

• Like 1