IGNORED

Blinky's Scary School, NTSC fix and timing.

Wilheim

Hi, everyone!

Attached is a NTSC fixed version of Blinky's Scary School. Not so long ago, I attached another NTSC fixed version I got form the 90s, but it had some bugs, specially when it had more than 2 software sprites, it runs slower.

It has the following features:

1. Optimized the player drawing routine, so it consumes less machine cycles. That way, it runs smoother.

2. Adjusted the color pallete from PAL to NTSC. Now, wherever setup you use, the game adjusts the colors as near as possible.

3. Timing adjusted for NTSC to PAL. Now, the game plays the music according as was originally designed, as well as the animation speed.

My objective was to reproduce the experience as near as possible the coders designed their game, for NTSC users.

Hope you like it. Any feedback is welcomed.

Cheers!

Blinky's Scary School v5 english compressed.xex

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

While I am not an NTSC user, I really appreciate this work as it is bringing a lot of UK/Europe games to North America. We had a glut of budget games in the late 80s and while they are not all great, there are some gems in there. This was a good one. I suspect it used the same engine as Draconus. I am not sure if that had ntsc issues, but if it did, I suspect they will be similar to those here.

On a separate note, I wish this game had full vertical resolution like the c64. I guess it was due to software sprite drawing times...

• Like 2

Thank you for your compliment! My goal is to fix some games we play in my country during the last years of its life cycle. We received a lot of PAL games that showed those kind of bugs, so I wanted to give it a try to fix them. Some fixes are easy, some aren’t. 

As you mentioned, Draconus uses a very similar software sprite engine. It has a NTSC issue when Frognum looks at his right. There’s a flicker in the sprites. In order to fix that, I think on rewriting the player’s drawing routine so it could be faster. I didn’t watch it closely, but I’ll take a look on it someday.

• 1 month later...