IGNORED

"Dragonfly" preorder

rj1307

7 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Trebor - thanks for the links. Especially the references to how the XM registers map in memory. We'll look at adding XM/YM2151 support to Argon.

I have an instance of A7800 running in my DEV environment (VS Code). It runs in XM mode. I installed a separate instance to run games outside of VS Code, since I cannot locate where that instance is installed. My new instance will not run in XM mode. I assume I am missing an XM image.

Can somebody help me either locate where VS Code has installed A7800 (I tried using looking through the debugger and couldn't find it), and/or tell me where to find the XM image?

Thanks!

On 12/12/2020 at 3:50 PM, imstarryeyed said:

Hey RJ1307 any chance of the cart offering a passthrough to allow a cart to stack on it for games that support the Pokey or games made for the XM?

It would be great to be able to play XM games as they are created in the future.

I don't know if I understand you well. Dragonfly should correctly run games written for XM that use Pokey, YM2151 or 16kB RAM. I have kept the addressing compatible.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 2:05 PM, rj1307 said:

No, it won't work like that, Dragonfly is not an XM replacement.

Cause the Dragonfly actually completed in a reasonable amount of time, you didn't take tens of thousands from people ahead of time and didn't have 10 years of bullshit with nothing shipping. You designed, completed, sold and shipped to the masses. Of course it's nothing like the XM.  It's much, much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tekopaa said:

1 pcs Burgendy with Pokeymax+Yamaha modules  :) put me on the list.

Does Dragonfly allow NTSC roms play on PAL A7800?

It should, since the BIOS already checked the copy protection on the cart.  At least that is how my cart works.

44 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

It should, since the BIOS already checked the copy protection on the cart.  At least that is how my cart works.

I think you have it backwards. NTSC roms always sort of work on PAL 7800s. Some better than others. It is playing PAL roms on an NTSC 7800 that can be problematic.

Mitch

On 12/17/2020 at 5:05 AM, Shawn said:

Cause the Dragonfly actually completed in a reasonable amount of time, you didn't take tens of thousands from people ahead of time and didn't have 10 years of bullshit with nothing shipping. You designed, completed, sold and shipped to the masses. Of course it's nothing like the XM.  It's much, much better.

IN some ways yes, and some not. The XM also had an SIO2 Port, Hi Score saving, and the extra 128K of Ram, unless the Dragonfly will have these as well? I didn't read that.

It also will not play carts, only ROM files, so if you don't have the ROM for a game you like and cannot get or dump it, you don't get the benefits. It will be interesting how this will play out as the ROM's will need to be made available to use the sound features, but how will copy protection be handled, if at all?

Maybe it was discussed here already, I came late to this. Sorry for that if I missed it, haven't had the time to read it all yet.

1 hour ago, Zonie said:

It also will not play carts, only ROM files, so if you don't have the ROM for a game you like and cannot get or dump it, you don't get the benefits. 

This is a big deal for me as I prefer to play on the actual cart and not use ROMS.  I was hoping for a way to play the actual carts with the hardware much like the Sonic and Knuckles worked on the Sega Genesis but this projects focus is not that, which I respect.  I still want the dragonfly for what it is however.

Edited by imstarryeyed

I don't understand the need or want for a passthrough to play carts... when this thing eliminates the need for carts. The roms on an SD cart play exactly the same as an original eprom cart. Another thing to know is playing games from and SD cart is not emulation (as far as i know), and anything is better than emulation in most cases, although I will say emulating the 2600 on Stella is WAY better than original hardware. Just my two cents.