IGNORED

C128 find off Craigslist...my first Commodore!

xourque

I've been an Atari 800 XL fan since I was a kid and was always curious about Commodore computers. I found this Commodore 128 PXL_20201209_034413883.thumb.jpg.2f081f6bd98bee63318439f6449fafff.jpgoff Craigslist today.

What do you guys like doing with yours so I can start planning to use it?

Anything awesome like Fujinet for Commodore computers?

• Like 4

What a nice find. Probably the best 8-bit machine Commodore ever made. You may have a new favorite computer soon! I had to google fujinet to see what you were talking about(and they look cool and I may get one for my 800). As stated above you will need more than 1 device on the 128 to accomplish the same things. For disk drive emulation you have a lot of choice but I would recommend Backbit or Ultimate II+. There is a Wi-Fi Modem too. Also there are ways to take the 80 column display to a standard VGA monitor. As for printing. Well to be honest it is something I never do but I am sure other folks can suggest something.

The 128 really brings the best of everything. CP/M. Great Basic. 40/80 column display.Plus it becomes a C64 too when you need to run all the games. And most importantly, the PSU is decent. I hope you have a great time with it.

I use mine for BBS access mainly. Plus games.

Edited by Arnuphis

1 hour ago, Arnuphis said:

What a nice find. Probably the best 8-bit machine Commodore ever made. You may have a new favorite computer soon!

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The 128 really brings the best of everything.

Uhh... No? It gives you a bit of everything but definitely not the best of everything.

CP/M

CP/M runs sooooooo slowly on C128 it's challenging to find software that's both interesting to use and doesn't run in slo-mo.

1 hour ago, Arnuphis said:

Great Basic.

Completely agreed, one of the best BASICs I've used.

40/80 column display

Nice feature but tricky because it requires an RGBI monitor or a special monochrome composite cable to use 80 columns.

Plus it becomes a C64 too when you need to run all the games

This is exactly what makes the C128 the best 8 bit Commodore. If it didn't have C64 compatibility it wouldn't have been as useful even with all its extra features.

the PSU is decent.

Mine buzzes a lot but hasn't zapped my C128 so I guess it's not too shabby...?

You should get an SD2IEC and a Commodore 1571 drive, unless SD2IECs can handle CP/M disks that are in D64/71 format in which case you won't need a 1571. Maybe an Epyx Fastload cartridge to use in C64 mode.

If it came with the original manual, do read through it thoroughly. It's an excellent manual. In fact, it's my favorite computer manual of all time. It should teach you everything you need to know about it.

If you wish you could upgrade to BASIC 8 and install JiffyDOS but both are completely optional.

There are options for the 80 column RGBI output, which is essentially CGA.  I built one, but saw one that someone has been making recently.  There were already some that were available.  With options to go to RGB 15khz, then you can take that to VGA or HDMI.  I don't know what 80 column software is out there to make it worthwhile though.  Monochrome Composite is easy for 80 column though.

It is a better power supply.  It sounds like bluejay's likely has a separation in the transformer.  It is not a simple linear one like the C64 that cooks itself then the computer.  Not that a linear supply is all bad, they are just old and not properly cooled.

Edited by Markeno

I mean, isn't the REU kind of pointless for its price? There are barely any software that supports it and most of those that do are business software, not something you'd want to try out today. If you really want more RAM get a 1541 Ultimate. It's expensive but also has features that are worth its price.

If you are only playing games, then the added RAM is a waste. Many C-128 users use GEOS, CP/M, or other serious software - in those cases the extra RAM is great to have.

The U1541+ also is great, but you can get a 2Mb GeoRAM card for a lot less. Just use the 1571 for a disk drive.

If you're only playing games, why are you even using a C-128?

Edited by motrucker

1 hour ago, motrucker said:

If you are only playing games, then the added RAM is a waste. Many C-128 users use GEOS, CP/M, or other serious software - in those cases the extra RAM is great to have.

Seconded.  The RAM disk in CP/M is great.  If you are not going to use CP/M but want to use GEOS, check out GGLabs' GeoRAM.  It is not as fast as an REU (the REUs use DMA transfer) but it does increase usability for both GEOS and GEOS 128.  Otherwise, meh.

Ok, so I found the following options:

NeoRAM 512K (GeoRAM compatible) at 24 Euros = 30 USD

Garret's Workshop 2 MB (GeoRAM compatible) at 45 USD

GGLABS GRAM/1D 1 MB (GeoRAM compatible) at 69 USD from the shop, 79 USD from eBay

GGLABS GRAM/4D 4 MB at 129 USD from the shop, currently out of stock

Ultimate-II+ with 16 MB at 115 Euros = 140 USD + taxes and shipping

Used 1750 512K on eBay currently at $76 with 14 hours to go. There are other 1764/1750 auctions too but those are insanely priced for collectors, not users.