IGNORED

HSC17 Round 23: LAST SQUADRON + SECTOR WARS

LAST SQUADRON + SECTOR WARS

LAST SQUADRON

From this year's abbuc software contest, a Screaming Wings style shooter. Atariage thread has the low down - also info on using the powerups is on post #13. 

last_squadron.png.1cf2309b687f96fde0c56cab15618fa0.png

Download: Last Squadron

SECTOR WARS

Sector Wars is a classic multi stage shooter with an interesting history - read all about it here. Start on level 1 after each go.

sector_wars.png.5b8de4ee1e8d4c7e50a12721817c54ac.png

Download: Sector Wars

Please post comments about the games as the authors would like some feedback(!)

Scoring t.b.a.

Round ends Thu 24th Dec 10am UK time

NOTE R22 Cavernia remains open for a few days :!:

Edited by therealbountybob
info/links corrected!

Last Squadron - 4920 pts

Sector Wars - 28120 pts

Unfortunately Last Squadron randomly crashes on my troublesome 130XE, usually after the last life is lost. There are some garbage graphics at the top of the screen, then nothing. Sometimes it goes to the Game Over screen and lets me play again, often it just crashes. I tried with BASIC both disabled and enabled. Perhaps I'll try it on my 800. Since I've had issues with this machine many times before on random games, I'm not sure I can chalk it down as a bug or strange hardware fault. I might try another joystick too in case it suffers from similar problems like L.A. SWAT did.

Sector Wars plays fine however, and it is a good variation of mini games of which I recognize a few from other games.

sector-wars-28120.jpg.c95d772b256fe72e011c2063475d14bb.jpg

• Like 2

Last Squadron (a welcome relief from Cavernia!) 11,510 got to the big plane guy. If you think the movement etc is sluggish bear with at and get some of the power ups then it starts to feel nicer.

[edit] Just read about pressing fire a few times to use the weaponry so that might help eh?!!  I've added more info to the first post.

Next up for me is Sector Wars - should be a good round ;-)

Last Squadron 12,760 hit fire a few times to toggle in the other weapon, still not destroyed that big plane but I'll get him next time. Really good game.

Sector Wars 39,220 so far, really nice in your face classic game, love the gorf flag ship, very satisfying when you plant one on him, space invaders pretty good - you might consider breaking this out into it's own game, we need a decent space invaders and this is already good - needs improvement and sound to mother ship at the top.

Any of you who missed Cavernia can still post a score there despite the final table being posted - you don't get away with the punishment :!:

p.s.

Sounds like your 130XE again carlsson, though I'm using the abbuc disk itself

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McKong said:

SW 130230 think I was on sector 38 or 39

Blimey that is an incredible score!  I don't ever remember getting anything over 70-80k when I programmed it in the 80s.  A high sector number as well.  I realise now I should have preserved the Sector Number in the title screen or stored it in the high score table.  If I get some free time earlier next year I will see if I can manage it.  It's a bit tougher making changes now as I can't remember where a lot of stuff is in memory, etc. with trawling through the source files.

35 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Sector Wars 39,220 so far, really nice in your face classic game, love the gorf flag ship, very satisfying when you plant one on him, space invaders pretty good - you might consider breaking this out into it's own game, we need a decent space invaders and this is already good - needs improvement and sound to mother ship at the top.

Thanks for the comments ?.  A good score too.   I did base most of the phases on my favourite shoot 'em ups (Gorf, Phoenix, Space Invaders, Astro Blaster).  I also wanted the explosion of the flagship to be satisfying so good to hear it is ?.

I agree about the saucer missing sound.  It really needs one.  I am not sure if there are any free sound channels plus again  I need to suss out the code again.  But will definitely try at some point when get more time.  A separate game is a good idea too.

I need to try some games myself early next week.

Edit: I think the description in the first post is for Last Squadron but it's written under Sector Wars.  Also the Sector Wars 'info' link is actually this one:

Thanks!

Edited by SectorWars
Added link info

Thanks "Sector Wars" updated the first post - I'm nearly always half asleep or in a rush when doing HSC admin (or both!). Which assembler do you use? For my recentish games I used MAC/65 (on the Atari). I have 4/7ths of a platform game inteded for the abbuc contest this year but life got in the way so hoping to dig it out again over the winter...

2061724542_SectorWars.jpg.573faf80cecdde1906525c716968bb5a.jpgLSQ.jpg.594b02fbaaac1292b73bc6cfd419e74e.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Which assembler do you use? For my recentish games I used MAC/65 (on the Atari). I have 4/7ths of a platform game inteded for the abbuc contest this year but life got in the way so hoping to dig it out again over the winter...

Yes I know what you mean about lack of time and having to rush everything ?.  Supposed to have more time when you get older but it seems to go the opposite way.

For the assembler I only had the Assembler Editor cartridge so the whole game was done in that including the finishing touches done in March of this year.   It is quite painful changing existing routines that grow in size as I need to relocate the routines higher in RAM to make room.  Good luck completing the platformer ?.

Edited by SectorWars
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, McKong said:

SW 157000 Sector 43. Think I'm at my limit there

I think you're at the Outer Limits :-o

Beat the big plane guy on Last Squadron but game locked up with blank screen after level complete message - I had taken the (abbuc) disk out so will leave it in next time!

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Sector Wars ramps up nicely, and plays really well. 

I'm not usually particularly good at shooters so that score is definitely beatable. The order seems to change at some point, sector 43 for me was the diagonal flying enemies and they were flying very fast!

157000 Sector 43 is brilliant!  Never thought those kind of scores are possible so good to hear.

You are right the 'fixed screen order' mode does have the phases in a different order second time around.  I forgot about that until you mentioned  it ?.  I can't remember all the variations I implemented in the higher skill levels but I remember adding speed increases, the storm 'debri' flies in at different angles, you have to hit more objects (eg: birds, debris, etc. in higher levels), the Gorf mothership vent gets smaller, bird movements vertically are more extreme, etc. etc.

I hope to get to play myself in next day or two, but will have no chance of getting close to that score!  Looking forward to playing Last Squadron as well.

Cheers

Vic

Edited by SectorWars
Adding more skill level variation info
  • Like 3

Finally got a reasonable score in Sector Wars (for me anyway) :).   84850  Sector 28.

Used initials VLT instead as my name is already embedded in the high score table.

I forgot how important docking the ship is in phase 8.  Do it and you gain a life, miss and you lose one.

Last Squadron is next.

sector_high_vic2_sec28.PNG

sector_high_vic.PNG

Edited by SectorWars
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SectorWars said:

Finally got a reasonable score in Sector Wars (for me anyway) :).   84850  Sector 28.

Used initials VLT instead as my name is already embedded in the high score table.

I forgot how important docking the ship is in phase 8.  Do it and you gain a life, miss and you lose one.

Last Squadron is next.

sector_high_vic2_sec28.PNG

sector_high_vic.PNG

Yeah my scores started to increase once I'd mastered the docking phase.