IGNORED

Mike Tyson's Punch Out SEALED

beg345

There was a guy about 20 years ago selling all sorts of re-sealed NES games on ebay. A bunch of us on GameFaqs were able to figure out what he was doing. He had a separate account and would buy only new looking games then reseal them and sell them on his other account. He sold hundreds. Unfortunately for him, he bought the resealing machine on one of his accounts. It was easy to track. Probably no way to remember who you bought it from, but I bet I would remember his ebay name.

• Haha 1

He purchased an expensive machine, the hanging tabs and and I think even price labels.....unfortunately for him, he used only two accounts. One for buying new-like NES games, and the other account for selling. He would buy a lot of new looking NES games and then a few weeks later they would show up on his other account as NEW/SEALED games. It was amazing. I think I crossed posted it on DP or AA years ago, I will see if I can find the thread. I dont even know if GameFaqs is around but I am sure the thread is long gone.

Edited by Machine

1 minute ago, beg345 said:

how can you tell I wonder???

In my opinion, the only way to be 100% sure is to open it.  To me, the bottom corner on the back of the box look slightly smashed, yet the shrink-wrap is perfect......even opening it will not really tell you if it is real unless you see wear on the cart or instructions.....then you got a reseal. NO way to tell a genuine, but you can tell if it is a reseal.....that is why collecting sealed stuff does not make sense to me(along with a handful of other reasons).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, beg345 said:

I didn't get it from ebay, my mom bought it for my brother from a store...

But game stores have been resealing for years. Some did it just so the insides didn't walk off. This one may be real, just can't be sure unless you bought it back in the 90's when it originally came out.  

How can you be sure the store or the person who traded it into the store did not re-seal it????  You can't.  I do not mean to be harsh, but these are just facts.

• Like 1

He sold hundreds of fake reseals. He would buy new looking NES games and reseal them. Did not matter to him.... He could do the H-seam reseal. 

Yours may be real, I am not saying that it is a reseal, I just have concerns.

The bottom and bottom corners are smashed and creased, yet seal is perfect.

Could happen to a real sealed game, but also is a red flag for a reseal. 

Those little creases in the box would make me worry......like I said, no way to prove it is real unless you personally bought it back when it was released.

You can only prove it is a fake sealed game, you can't prove it is a genuine sealed game......just my 2 cents.

If your purpose is to maximize profit, then probably yeah. WATA does not prove to "ME" it is a real sealed game since fakes are basically the same.

I also do not buy into "slabbing" games, so I am not a WATA expert. Research values and all that to see if it makes sense to "grade" it.

I just personally would not sell the game as a genuine sealed game. However,  I would just give the facts, like you did here and let the buyer decide.

• Like 1

you gotta remember, a lot of these games where in "bargain" bins after the fact when Nintendo was going out of style with newer systems...thus the bumping...I will ask mom about it, what she can remember but I'm 99 percent sure it's a sealed game from that era.  Cheers!

since it might be sealed and is a classic nes it is probably worth getting it graded at like wata or somehting, I know a lot of people dont' like them (I dont care about condition so I have no stake in the game) but loads of collectors do

, if they say it is sealed it will be worth silly money, and if they don't, well a nice CIB mike tysons punchout is still worth a few hundred, granted it costs like 100 bucks, but going from hundred to thousands (more?) I think it 

On 12/12/2020 at 2:16 PM, beg345 said:

would you send it in to WATA to get graded???

I hate to be blunt here but this is a stupid question... several years ago, it was a legit question but the game has changed considerably for sealed NES games. If this is authentic we're talking $20,000+ which is a LOT of money, no matter who you are..  Even though I pretty much hate WATA and want nothing to do with them I myself would get this graded if I owned it. You just have to, it's 20k on the line here, you HAVE TO DO IT, end of discussion lol

• Like 2