IGNORED

Atari 2600 Mascot?

retroeight

Yeah I have genuinely wondered this. As IPs go, what does Atari intrinsically "own"? Centipede? Bentley Bear from "Crystal Castles"? Yar? 

Personally the bear has potentially. That box art is still adorable and a reboot could be, if developed effectively, pretty awesome. I'm thinking a platformer or 3-D POV game where he wanders through a shifting landscape dodging orbs and monsters. If he falls in a "trap" it dumps you into the 2600 version of the port, and you have to win the stage to get back. Market it with stuffed bears and a one-off cartoon short. Maybe a "pack-in" sticker for VCS presales and it serves as another free game next to Missile Command: Recharged.

Edited by Atarick

6 minutes ago, toiletunes said:

After much thought, I realized the Yar is in the most games

Yars Revenge

Yars Return (flashback series)

Raiders Lost Ark (Easter egg)

E.T. (Easter egg)

Therefore Yar makes the most sense. There was at least one commercial, a comic, even a record.

Year's Revenge reboot in 2011 as well. Also a popular cross-platformer, as it showed up on GameBoy back in the day. But can they make him more "cuddly"? Kid friendly? Seems a hallmark of all great mascots. That's what Pac Man (Namco, admittedly) and Bentley Bear have, if nothing else. I would find a stuffed Yar hillarious, but most kids would likely shudder. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, high voltage said:

If we have to, I go along with this. No other console has such an iconic logo-mascot

Blade-Runner-2049-Atari-Logo-Trailer-Awesome.png

It's funny, I know it's not theirs at all, but I always associated Q*Bert with Atari as a kid. Not until much, much later did I realize it wasn't an Atari property at all. Now that is a mascot-worthy creature you can sell pushed animals for and market a disgusting, short-lived cereal around. 

• Like 2

Well systems with mascots usually have multiple sequels and are carried over system to system. I think it's safe to say Atari never really had one as they weren't really a thing at the time. Pitfull could be the closest or should i say Harry, however is Harry also an Olympian in Decathlon and a lifesaver armed with dynamite in his spare time? Then there is Pacman as mentioned although he was Coin-Op and a product of Namco. Yar was a one off and E.T was a one off so i really couldn't of anyone or thing that possibly could be a Mascot other then the triangular ship from Asteroids :)

On 1/3/2021 at 4:17 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Well systems with mascots usually have multiple sequels and are carried over system to system. I think it's safe to say Atari never really had one as they weren't really a thing at the time. 

Well, technically you could say Centipede fits the bill as that was officially ported to the 5200 & 7800, although since it started as an arcade game, maybe it's disqualified. That did get a sequel with Millipede though.

This old blog article covers the subject pretty well, using the "expanded lore" of the Atari comics. 

But if it has to be something original and unique to the 2600, then I'd say Yar or Adventure's dragons

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Well, technically you could say Centipede fits the bill as that was officially ported to the 5200 & 7800, although since it started as an arcade game, maybe it's disqualified. That did get a sequel with Millipede though.

This old blog article covers the subject pretty well, using the "expanded lore" of the Atari comics. 

But if it has to be something original and unique to the 2600, then I'd say Yar or Adventure's dragons

God great article. I forgot about half of those, especially the Atari comic guys. I was just trying to think, I cant think of a singular Atari character that appears across more platforms than Yar. Maybe that would seal his lore a bit. Though my nostalgia for the roller ball and skating rink where I played Crystal Castles is pulling me towards Bentley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atarick said:

God great article. I forgot about half of those, especially the Atari comic guys. I was just trying to think, I cant think of a singular Atari character that appears across more platforms than Yar. Maybe that would seal his lore a bit. Though my nostalgia for the roller ball and skating rink where I played Crystal Castles is pulling me towards Bentley.

It is really too bad that Atari didn't continue one some of these "franchises" with the 7800. I imagine that a Yars' Revenge, Star Raiders, Haunted House or Secret Quest could have benefited in many ways from the extra power...Bentley's Crystal Quest is definitely a testament to that.  In a way though, Commander Champion was really angled as Atari's mascot at the time, given how prominent he was in the comics and what they were trying to do with him in arcades (he also is the guy that appeared on the Space Riders pinball backglass).

• Like 1