IGNORED

Dead 800XL + electronics noob = posting here...

Simon Carter

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to resurrect my 65XE so at least I have one working A8... Currently armed with a full set of Atari User Mags and over half the Page 6 mags, my next question is this:

Using Altirra, I can type in the listings, got that sorted, is there a way to xfer them to the physical XE? I'm guessing one of the SD based solutions would suffice. I would try to source a 1050, but they're like rocking horse s**t in this country...

Apologies for the noobishness, I'm about 35 years behind you guys.

Attached my XE, not in too bad nick for its age, apart from the name plate

I'm literally waiting on "Electronics for Dummies" to arrive so I can start on the XL, fully intend for it to be a new hobby for me

Regards

Si

IMG_20210104_135823.jpg

Yes, an SD-Max would be great for this and its a very reliable easy way to load images etc...No real setting up and MrRobot has a wonderful help page on them so would sort out any questions but ask away on here as well. its as simple as making a DOS disk in Altirra, saving the listing via DOS as a .bas file and then just copy the saved Atr on to the SD-Max and boot it with Basic and then type Run"D:yourlisting.bas.

Edited by Mclaneinc

On 1/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, Simon Carter said:

I would try to source a 1050, but they're like rocking horse s**t in this country...

Personally I prefer an sio2pc-usb like lotharek's for quick data transfer between PC and Atari - saves memory card swapping back and forth. A standalone SD card device is nice for standalone operation, for data not immediately needed on the PC side.

With that said, a 1050 would definitely fulfill the "real hardware" experience, and can still be used in conjunction with either aforementioned device. Which country are you in? I could look into how much one would cost to ship.