IGNORED

Tempest 4000 - running on new Atari VCS (PC-Mode, Windows)

justclaws

When this video was released, it first created joy, and then controversy.

*The game was not yet available in a Linux version*, and it was not explained that this was via PC-mode.

This game really needs to use the spinner of the classic controller. ?

Later, it was made clear that an official Tempest 4000 would be coming to the VCS. I don't know more,
but if I had a VCS right now, I'd be trying it in PC-Mode, and comparing to my T2K, and T3K on Nuon!

https://hardcoregamer.com/2018/06/08/tempest-4000-officially-coming-for-atari-vcs/301582/

This was the video which demonstrated it on the new VCS, but not running on Linux or AtariOS.

* I am not connected with the Atari company.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Don't you mean it isn't available on Linux? That's why there was controversy. It's a Linix machine and it only plays on Windows. 

Did they find a way to get it into their store?

Absolutely! Oops. I knew what I meant, but blew it. ? So far, I read it was confirmed, but I've seen no news since. I'm hopeful... ?

It would be nice if they would add some extra stuff for the official release, maybe add a playable version of tempest 3000 so that finally isn’t exclusive to the Nuon anymore or some new music for T4k. But I won’t get my hopes up, it’ll probably just be a direct port. 

• Like 1

So the latest update on this was 2018? Really wondering why they didn't have this ready to go for the VCS launch (no news is good news, I guess?)

In the best case scenario, it'd be great for this release to have all versions of Tempest available in one (maybe call it Tempest Legacy). Then I'd be interested.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

So the latest update on this was 2018? Really wondering why they didn't have this ready to go for the VCS launch (no news is good news, I guess?)

In the best case scenario, it'd be great for this release to have all versions of Tempest available in one (maybe call it Tempest Legacy). Then I'd be interested.

I'd TOTALLY be down for this.

• Like 2

That reminds me. Someone recently picked up the, long abandoned, Nuance emulator again and T3K is quite playable on it:

Latest updates at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuance-nuon-emulator/

Again, you'll need Windows and an SSD, but the dream of playing all four official Tempest games on your VCS is very much achievable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Funny, that Jeff Minter doesn't know anything about that. :ponder:

It would be very odd, as he knows Giles rather well, as his co-developer. ?
http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=87410&start=240
* Later, in the same thread, it seems the plan dried up. ? I had to search...

I can understand things change, and they never developed for Linux, only for
Windows and other consoles. I'm disappointed but I still hope they'll develop
something in future. I can imagine the furore over the delay also played a part.
giles_t4k.thumb.PNG.458ccd62215c90959b49852050abc4ee.PNG
I tried it on my Lenovo i5 business laptop with Windows 10, and it was hopeless,
and my desktops run Linux, so I'll happily enjoy it anyway on the VCS+Windows.

• Confused 1

I installed Windows 10 on a USB 3.1 SSD last night. No problems.
I then installed Steam, and tried out my long-owned Tempest 4000 on it.

It's fine. On my business-type laptop, it was too slow, due to Intel integrated graphics.
I had it on a PC too, but I wanted to try it on a big screen TV, or with my projector. ?

So last night, I tested it just with an old TV, to make sure it works. No problems.
That said, I was baffled by the keyboard controls, and I did not sync my joypad yet.
It was too late in the evening, after all the patches for Windows 10 had applied. ?

It was just a quick photo with WhatsApp, which I sent to a friend.

vcs_tempest4k.thumb.jpeg.e16ef3f6b19f76af37059b5fe9874c80.jpeg

Awful photo of the screen. The phone didn't like the contrast of T4K and white.

windows_cpu.thumb.jpeg.e9a149cf88f56c98b000ada6cd6e1bd6.jpeg

I actually accidentally started streaming the display from the VCS to the PC. 
That was weird, but it didn't slow up the game. It's not really what I recommend. :-D 

steam_remote.thumb.jpeg.e12f8a5460c081059ce4727fcc2e1e00.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, here's a nice video showing the difference between Tempest 2000 and T2K, and Tempest 4000 isn't much different.
Mostly the problem for me is the controls, where the claw continues to move a bit, after I've stopped moving it myself.

Tempest 4000 doesn't honestly look a lot different. I was always a Llamasoft fan, but I'm not a fan of this.

...and now the good news. Tempest 2000 on the new Atari VCS in Chrome (via AtariOS).
It's amazing what streaming can do these days. You could also boot up DOS natively.
Cursor keys for movement, "/" to fire, "," for Superzapper, "," for jump.

HERE - https://dosgames.com/game/tempest-2000/#dosbox-div

1829964224_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1211-06-25.thumb.png.c675584d2b56735231c091fa9208aa6b.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

That's great; I think dosgames.com is running locally in the browser rather than streaming.  Have you tried the games at archive.org.  https://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom?sort=-week

Yes, it says it's running locally, but I wasn't absolutely sure. I'll have to try it offline! ?
It's fantastically good, as finding my copy of DOS Tempest 2000 CD is quite a challenge.

No, I had not see that "consolelivingroom" page, and that's something else to explore!
Thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 12:42 AM, onlysublime said:

is it true that Tempest 4000 is merely an updated TxK?  That seriously drove me away because TxK was a bad Tempest game, drained of the excitement of past Tempest games.

and the sticker shock of how expensive Tempest 4000 was...  

Tempest 4000 plays a lot like TxK, which was a fantastic game.

• 1 month later...

Tempest 4k.  I have it on PC and you could if you wish, start playing using Wine or some other software like windows.  In its current state I do not think it is worth having.  Having spend 100s of hours on the Jag version, I think T4k is a step down.  Graphics are not as good and the control is abysmal.  The over steer seems to be part of the game.  If that is true it is just duff.  It might be just me about level 15 it switched you from the inside to the outside so that meant your controls are reversed.  Wow I was unimpressed.   Have nostalgia by all means but play T2k on emulation.  It is still an amazing game.  Plus I hear there is a bug on level 99 so that you cannot finish the game.  That is present in the pc version, the ps4 and the Xbox1 version.  

Link to Tempest 4k on PC

Discussion about the controls on Steam

Discussion about the pop up at the start of the game.

I struggle to recommend this because if you deconstruct it, it's just a thinly-veiled card game RPG where every battle is a pong match that can drag on for stupidly long, and it's grindy af.

That is part of a review of the only other game available from Atari recently on steam namely Pong RPG. 

• 6 months later...