IGNORED

ALIEN VS PREDATOR- Nexion 3D

sn8k

Hooked on Nexion 3D, trying to get to the last level. Cannot stop playing.

It dawns on me, this could easily be AVP in the right hands......not mine, because you know......I know nothing in the technical department, just how to play the games :)

Same corridor style fps between games. I get the same kind of vibe playing both.

Title screen needs to be changed

Droids should be changed to Xenomorphs and to a darker tone of color if possible. When its in front of you instead of being head on like the droids when they appear, can look at you from a slight angle to get the overall shape of head , claws, and legs

Keys should resemble ID cards, something simple. Rectangles, with square in one corner. Anything that can vaguely pass off as a card 

Keyholes changed to key slots, same design just keyhole on box becomes a line instead.

I thought having an actual working FPs game on 2600 would be a bigger deal around here. Nexion doesn't just work. It works very well. Ive gotten so used to the game by now, I rely on the bottom map less and less. It was crucial in the beginning to get used to the orientation of everything but am getting good at just watching the main screen now.

I can't be the only one who thinks this is cool.

If there is something simple like tile layer , I may try this myself, I dont know what you guys use to hack Atari games.

Screenshot_20201221-204704_YouTube.jpg

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2020 at 3:53 PM, 4ever2600 said:

You or whomever decides to hack,  may want to get the permission of the author of that homebrew prior.  At least as a courtesy if nothing else.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:10 AM, sn8k said:

He was the first person I asked. He isnt around too often though.

I sent him a FB PM so he can read this thread.

3 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

I sent him a FB PM so he can read this thread.

That would be awesome. Worst case scenario he says no. Best case scenario he says this is the greatest idea and he will get to work on it lol

Tried messing around with a sprite editor, I suck major ass at this. 

• Like 1

Hey sn8k.

AVP 2600 is an awesome idea!

I'll add the following once I can dig up the sourcecode.

title screen change

droids - Xenomorphs

Keys - maybe a trophy xeno skulls (?) keycards

blaster - shoulder cannon targeting reticle

doors - maybe stairs down (?) key slot doors.

ending screen change

Keycards  for a colony setting, but what about an ancient pyramid like the movie?

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

Hey sn8k.

AVP 2600 is an awesome idea!

I'll add the following once I can dig up the sourcecode.

title screen change

droids - Xenomorphs

Keys - maybe a trophy xeno skulls (?) keycards

blaster - shoulder cannon targeting reticle

doors - maybe stairs down (?) key slot doors.

ending screen change

Keycards  for a colony setting, but what about an ancient pyramid like the movie?

That sounds bad ass. Collecting skulls as keys? Genius.

I dont know what can or cant be done in terms of the systems technical capabilities.

It would be cool if there was a character select screen and you could choose Marine, Predator, or Xeno like in the Jaguar version. All characters weapons perform the same, so they all shoot. Marine has the shotgun as is, predator gets Shoulder cannon, and Xeno morph has his claw. All operate the same way to keep it easy. Everything shoots, even the claw.

Marine fights Xenos and collects cards.

Predator fights Xenos and collects skulls.

Xeno fights Marines and collects eggs.

To me that sounds perfect, but I have no idea how hard it is to do or if it can or cant be done.

If limitations are what I feel they may be, then just the predator up against Xeno morphs with your suggested changes. They sound amazing.

If its possible and the system allows it, all 3 would make it 100% inline with the jaguar version.

But if it had to be only Predator, I would be more than happy with just that.

Im so excited right now. Its happening and my new favorite game is about to get even better.

Thanks for looking into it

• 2 weeks later...

I present to you -  Alien vs Predator - 2600 .

*****updated  ROM 1-13-21

title screen delay

solid playfield

medals added for progression  

AVP-2600_BK_011121_1.thumb.png.65e60ff5f64ab3a388560411f6233bf5.pngAVP.bas_6.thumb.png.198233c30eec4b8836ac1fed2d1bb837.png

I added some code to animate the aliens. Sn8K I think you'll approve :)

This version has a styling to the playfield graphics I thought would add to the horror theme

Grab the Xeno skull and find the door to  the next trial!AVP-2600_BK_011321.bin striped playfield ver :AVP-2600_striped_BK_011321.bin

You will gain a new honor medal every 4 levels indicated in the lower left corner of the screen

Get them all!

xeno2.jpg.d5e17578cbb81f749f9e3c338355963c.jpgavp-door.jpg.cf8e9416ec3b2d1a89501220eb40976d.jpg

Controlling the predator:

up - walk in the direction you are facing

back - walk backwards

Left and right - rotate (change direction) 

fire button+ down to shoot

fire button+ Left or right to walk sideways

top of screen is the compass - it will blink in the direction you are facing (N-S-E-W)

bottom of screen is the map - your position is indicated by the white square.

When you kill enough Xenos, a skull will drop on the level. it will blink on the map when you get near. touch it a press fire button to pick it up

It will allow you to exit to the next level.....when you find the door

middle of screen is the 3d view. shoot xenos when they are in front of you. 

Xenomorphs make a lot of noise when they see you. If you hear them. change directions because it's headed for you!

They like to hunt in packs!

PLAY HINTS :

Xenos spawn in the 4 corners of the level.

They will respawn there also, so don't try to make a last stand in those areas!

If you a getting eaten alive by a pack of aliens, run backwards

Best hint is to find the door on each level 1st.

Edited 9 hours ago by TheMajorHavoc

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Like 4

It was playing goofy on my emulator. A lot of screen flickering and I'm not sure what exactly to control.

I seem to be controlling the square on the bottom of the screen but my joystick controls were inconsistent.

For example, if I held the fire button down and press the right. Sometimes the square would move right, other times it would move up, and other times it would  move in a circle ??‍♂️

It could just be my emulator that I'm using on my Android but I don't know.

AVP-2600_BK_011121.001.png

3 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

It was playing goofy on my emulator. A lot of screen flickering and I'm not sure what exactly to control.

I seem to be controlling the square on the bottom of the screen but my joystick controls were inconsistent.

For example, if I held the fire button down and press the right. Sometimes the square would move right, other times it would move up, and other times it would  move in a circle ??‍♂️

It could just be my emulator that I'm using on my Android but I don't know.

AVP-2600_BK_011121.001.png

Yes it's definitely the emulator. Runs perfect on real hardware

From what I've researched , the SC ram is not being emulated properly

In Stella if this occurs, emulation settings "randomize zero-page and extended RAM" is enabled

image.thumb.png.5bfadfda2e01ea95158e3490522729c4.pngimage.thumb.png.7858d7bcd51f993306a20693f07b706c.png

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

From what I've researched , the SC ram is not being emulated properly

In Stella if this occurs, emulation settings "randomize zero-page and extended RAM" is enabled

This discussion has occurred many times in the past.  If you have a ROM that behaves differently whether this option is on or off, it's a strong indication that you're not doing initialization in your code correctly.  Just because it runs without issue on one console doesn't mean it will on another.  So you shouldn't be depending on that behaviour.  This feature was added to Stella specifically to find such cases, and indicate to the programmer that there could be future issues on other consoles.  So while turning it off in Stella may make it run, the correct approach is to fix the ROM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephena said:

This discussion has occurred many times in the past.  If you have a ROM that behaves differently whether this option is on or off, it's a strong indication that you're not doing initialization in your code correctly.  Just because it runs without issue on one console doesn't mean it will on another.  So you shouldn't be depending on that behaviour.  This feature was added to Stella specifically to find such cases, and indicate to the programmer that there could be future issues on other consoles.  So while turning it off in Stella may make it run, the correct approach is to fix the ROM.

It works on my 7800 and 2600 jr flawlessly.

2 hours ago, stephena said:

Thanks for chiming in on this Stephen!  Have removed the striped playfield already in play testing.

I'll see what I need to do to initialize it properly in Batari basic. 

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

It works on my 7800 and 2600 jr flawlessly.

These are but two variations of all the systems out there.  We've seen this before; code that works flawlessly on one system has issues on another.  To be compatible everywhere, you really should zero out your RAM, if that's what the rest of your code is expecting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stephena said:

These are but two variations of all the systems out there.  We've seen this before; code that works flawlessly on one system has issues on another.  To be compatible everywhere, you really should zero out your RAM, if that's what the rest of your code is expecting.

Exactly.

We designed the developer options to point out typical programming errors which may lead to problems on real consoles.

8 hours ago, stephena said:

All I stated was that it works on the rainbows. I get it.

16 hours ago, stephena said:

Stephen, I Zeroed out RAM , but it still occurs with the striped playfield.

•