IGNORED

Atari Joystick Controllers: The Power Rankings

I decided it would be fun to rank the Atari 1st party joysticks; here is my take--looking forward to yours. 

I didn't include trak-balls, paddle controllers, key-pad controllers or anything crazy like that; just the standard OEM Joystim/Gamepad models.

Here we go:

1. Jaguar Pro Controller:  The most modern/advanced controller ever made by Atari. Smaller than the original Jaguar controller with a less angled face, it sits in the hands nicely and has great button and D-pad response. 

2. Atari 2600 Joystick (CX-40):  Simple; classic; timeless.  I always found it a bit stiff; much better when the joystick is rebuilt with some modern "clicky" micro-switches making it feel a little more like the OG CX-10 which i find superior. 

3. Jaguar Pad: Much better than everyone gives it credit for.  They aren't amazing; but are very solid and i would compare them to a first gen Genesis pad whereas the Pro is the later six button (literally and figuratively) 

4. Atari Euro Pads (CX-78):  These aren't half bad.  The buttons are a little squishy but the more i spend time with them the more i like them.

5. Atari Pro-Line (CX-24): Ahh the "Pain-line"...I don't spend much time playing with these and there is probably a reason for that.  They work in a pinch.

6. Atari 5200 (CX-52):  Even rebuilt by Best with the gold contacts these are just barely tolerable. Not Atari's best design. 

Did i miss anything?  The XEGS used a tan CX-40 as i recall. 

There are also the Space Age joysticks, Wireless joysticks, and the original Atari joystick, the CX10.

Ranking these seems a little bit apples-and-oranges, but I'll try to rank them relative to how well I think they work with their systems:

1. CX10

2. CX40

3. Jaguar Controller (Jaguar)

4. CX78

5. Space Age Joystick

6. CX52

7. Wireless Joystick

8. CX24

The 2600's joysticks do everything you need them to, with games that were designed with them in mind. The 5200 controller doesn't always have that same benefit; while I think it's generally underrated and works very nicely with most of the games that were adapted for it, and even some that maybe weren't, there are too many 5200 titles that really want to be played with a digital joystick. There's not much negative to say about the Jaguar controller, other than maybe the D-pad could have been a little more comfortable. Likewise for the 7800 Joypad (and, okay, I guess the buttons are a little far apart). The Space Age joystick is pretty slick but has some reliability problems and may handle a little awkwardly in smaller hands. The Wireless joysticks are bulky, awkward, a pain to set up, and not the most reliable (batteries can die, signal can be interrupted). The ProLines can work pretty well for 2600 or other one-button games, but these things are carpal tunnel machines and 7800 games that make intensive use of Button 2 are practically unplayable.

• Thanks 1

Was totally unaware of the Space Age Joystick. Was it ever bundled with a console or was always sold as a first party accessory?

I have a set of the Sears joysticks that came with the video arcade 2, and they are pretty interesting, but didn't include them because it opens a whole new rabbit hole. 

I assumed non-jag gamers/owners would tear me up for my ranking ?

4 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Was totally unaware of the Space Age Joystick. Was it ever bundled with a console or was always sold as a first party accessory?

I have a set of the Sears joysticks that came with the video arcade 2, and they are pretty interesting, but didn't include them because it opens a whole new rabbit hole. 

I assumed non-jag gamers/owners would tear me up for my ranking ?

The Space Age Joystick was part of the ProLine series of controllers, along with the Trak-Ball, Remote Control Joysticks, and CX24, which I don't think was actually released until the 7800 came out. These were supposed to be deluxe/specialty peripherals and were never bundled with any system, to my knowledge (except, obviously, the CX24).

I totally forgot about the Video Arcade II controllers! IMO they qualify since they, along with the Video Arcade II itself, were designed and manufactured by Atari themselves. I would pit them against the CX24 for the bottom spot in my ranking, though. It works well as a paddle; the joystick is okay (if in good condition); but the buttons are terrible IMO. The controller overall is bulky and awkward to handle (it's rounder than it usually appears in pics) and torques around in the hand, and the joystick and fire buttons have a stiff, mushy action that requires hard pressing (the buttons, anyway) and yields no tactile feedback. It's also prone to parts wearing out and failing, usually in the joystick. However, since it's an ambidexterous single-button controller, at least it precludes the possibility of being forced to use both buttons like with the 7800 and its ProLines. And at least the paddle function is slick.

The Jaguar controller isn't perfect, but it is pretty good. I wish the D-pad was a little more comfortable but I don't really have any complaints about it otherwise. I think it gets criticized for having a numeric pad (maybe a little goofy in hindsight, but I don't recall anyone who saw it being turned off by it; personally I thought it made the system seem more sophisticated...but I was, like, 9 ?), and for simply being associated with the Atari Jaguar. ?‍♂️