IGNORED

Hardware Upgrades, Experiences and Tips

justclaws

The dual functions of the new VCS as console and PC is something which sets it apart from other consoles.

The newest PS5 and Xbox consoles have much more raw power, but they cannot be used as a general PC.
For me, this USP is a big win, and there are many markets where most people don't own console OR a PC.

How this works is a big question for many people.
This page describes the feature.
https://shop.atarivcs.com/pc-mode
There is a section on the Atari VCS support web-site also, on how to do it.
https://atari.gamecentergroup.com/index.php?/VCS/Knowledgebase/List/Index/150

By now, lots of people are using either another Linux, Windows, or even SteamOS (and trying for GameOS)
to run on the VCS. It seems already many people upgraded the RAM to 32GB, and added M.2 drives also,
for their PC-Mode installs, instead of just installing on an external USB drive. I want to try Android-X86 too!

This page shows a first board back in 2019, when a spring 2020 launch was expected, pre-Covid19. ?
https://hothardware.com/news/atari-vcs-pre-production-commences-ryzen-apu

How to install Windows on bootable USB drive (Atari doc)
https://shop.atarivcs.com/content/PC-Mode-Create-Windows-Boot-Drive.pdf

How to install Linux on bootable USB drive (Atari doc)
https://shop.atarivcs.com/content/Linux-Install-Guide.pdf

How to install an internal M.2 SSD drive. (Atari video guide)

I think a thread to share our experiences and hints and tips is much easier than searching in 20 places.

If YOU do not like my extra threads, just hover over my username below, and click on "x Ignore User". :-D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I´ve just done some fast VCS Workload Tests, using Win 10 & Heavyload (Tool):

Here are the results:

1. Win10 up and Idle: ~ 9 watts (8,8 - 9,2 watts) - Picture 1-3

2. Win10 up and CPU 100%:  ~ 38,8 watts - Picture 4-5

3. Win10 up and CPU 100% + GPU 100%: ~ 50 watts  (max load 53,8 watts after a 10 minutes run)- Picture 6-8

Finally I guess, that are good and fair results, because I see here some discussions about performance lacks of the VCS by comparing it with PC hardware,

(where I can measure workloads up to 200 watts and more (e.g. i7 + GTX1060)).

Win10 is booting up very fast and working with Win10 feels good too (fast access, no delays) 

A perfomance test (using AS SSD Benchmark) for the 1TB M.2 SSD (Manufacturer: Intenso) shows also good results:

Seq Read: 507,41MB/s

Seq Write: 412,63MB/s

(See Picture 9 - last pic attached)

More Experiences will coming soon ?

Cheers,

andY

IMG_20201231_130340.jpg

IMG_20201231_130336.jpg

IMG_20201231_130334.jpg

IMG_20201231_130146.jpg

IMG_20201231_130153.jpg

IMG_20201231_125640.jpg

IMG_20201231_125835.jpg

IMG_20201231_125909.jpg

IMG_20201230_221805.jpg

Edited by andymanone
Typo
  • Thanks 2

On Facebook, the guy who first replaced his AtariOS completely with Mint Linux, has a new post.
He's modified the case, so he can upgrade his RAM again later, without taking the VCS apart. ?

Now that really *is* a true collectors edition. In 40 years time, it can be sold as a "prototype". :-D

case_hack.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Although probably nobody else wants to, except FirbleMan on Discord, it runs Windows 8. ?
Yes, there's probably a reason of being to run certain old software, but otherwise... no thanks.
(I use Firbleman's screenshot.) The biggest challenge with installs is supporting UEFI boot.

Win8VCS2.png

4 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Does this improve the system's ability to play more modern games via Steam?

I would not think sol, I mean it certainly does not hurt however nothing the VCS can do will be aided much beyond 16 gb RAM, he has increased storage capacity so it will hold more and MAYBE the spec of the storage M.2 is slightly faster for a touch quicker loading? I am not clear on the M.2 storage, was this to add to the default OS drive or replace it? Games whether Steam or otherwise, the quality of the experience is more reliant on CPU / GPU defaults of the system. Basically, he's made it the best AtariVCS it can be pretty much but it is still far short for AAA titles to run smooth with decent settings, not saying this as a insult, it simply is what it is a low to midrange PC, in the end to improve gaming performance and visuals requires more powerful CPU/GPU specs period.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Does this improve the system's ability to play more modern games via Steam?

Yes and No...

Yes, because:

CPU & GPU are sharing the same Memory, so you have ~ 6GB RAM available for your CPU and ~2GB for the GPU on the standard VCS. 

By upgrading the RAM, the CPU has more RAM for itself available so you can play Games with requires min. 8GM RAM or more, smoother.

Adding a M.2 SSD brings you more I/O speed for your storage access (compared with an external USB SSD or a USB stick)

No, because: 

The performance of CPU & GPU are limited and will be the same.
So, like OldschoolRetroGamer said, the AAA Titles, which requires a minimum of CPU/GPU performance, will still lacks too, so you have to screw down the Game Options (Grafix resolution & Depth and so on)

For instance I tried to run (and play) "Shadow of the Tomb Raider", "NfS (GG) & NfS Shift (SMS) and yes, it´s possible, with limitations...

I just didn´t compare the performance difference with a "standard" VCS but I think, the upgraded VCS works (slightly) smoother....

Cheers,

andY

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I would not think sol, I mean it certainly does not hurt however nothing the VCS can do will be aided much beyond 16 gb RAM,

Yeah 32gb RAM seems like overkill,  even the new PS5/Xbox only have 16.  Best bet would be save money on RAM  (8 or 16 will be fine) and spend it on storage instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yeah 32gb RAM seems like overkill,  even the new PS5/Xbox only have 16.  Best bet would be save money on RAM  (8 or 16 will be fine) and spend it on storage instead.

I´m not 100 percently agree with you...

Yes, you´re right, it´s depend on, what you wanna do with the VCS, 

but if you decide, to use it also as a daily used "Win10 Allrounder" (to manage a lots of jobs and services) too, so you know, Win10 is a "Memory eating moster" and very hungry ?.

For instance my daily "PC workhorse" is eating up aprox. 18-20GB RAM (see screenshot).

And if I have the chance to upgrade the VCS with 32GB to the max, so I do that, and don´t decide, to save ~30 bucks für upgrading only to 16GB instead...

But thats of course only my opinion and no advice ?.

Cheers,

andY

Memory_load.JPG

Edited by andymanone
Typo

6 minutes ago, andymanone said:

I´m not 100 percently agree with you...

Yes, you´re right, it´s depend on, what you wanna do with the VCS, 

but if you decide, to use it also as a daily used "Win10 Allrounder" (to manage a lots of jobs and services) too, so you know, Win10 is a "Memory eating moster" and very hungry ?.

For instance my daily "PC workhorse" is eating up aprox. 18-20GB RAM (see screenshot).

And if I have the chance tu upgrade the VCS with 32GB to the max, so I do that, and don´t decide, to save ~30 bucks für upgrading only to 16GB instead...

Well If you are using it for workloads, that's different.  ?

But if you are planning to use it for gaming, I still say 8 or 16gb will be enough given that's what other consoles have.  If a game comes out that requires more than 16, it will probably be beyond the VCS spec in other ways too.

Btw.,

not sure if it´s useful, but after pressing the F1 function key while booting the VCS, you launch to some further system options and informations:

1610039131368.jpg

1610038983568.jpg

It seems so, that you can (e)dit the boot script....

Cheers,

andY

• Like 1

Maybe it could be for interest for some Android lovers among you:

My first choice, to get all Android capabilities on my PC was using "Nox" .

Especially lots oft Smarthome Apps (e.g. Smart Life, Ubibot), Surveillance Cams, Weather Station Apps und much more are also (or only) available for Android devices.

So I´ve tried out Nox on my VCS too and it works fine ?.

The only catch is, that actually the VCS-Bios is locked and so you´re not able, to activate VT (which is very recommend for using NOX).

So I hope, this feature will be able to be activated soon with a FW update or a hack....

Btw, for everyone, who didn´t know Nox:

It´s free and available here: ->  NoxPlayer 7

Cheers,

andY

1610052087392.JPEG

1610052087682.JPEG

1610052088065.JPEG

1610052088174.JPEG

1610052088441.JPEG

1610052088360.JPEG

Edited by andymanone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, andymanone said:

Maybe it could be for interest for some Android lovers among you:

My first choice, to get all Android capabilities on my PC was using "Nox" .

Yes, that's really interesting. I was planning on installing Android-X86, as described here.
It should make for a great experience on the VCS, even if doesn't have a special video driver yet.
I post the video because maybe somebody with more time will get to do this before I do, also. ?

11 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

After the "upgrades".  Duh.

Oh I see.
You mean the VCS is $500 on the same basis a PC is now costs $5000 after adding 2x RTX-3090
graphics cards, and 64 GB RAM. Oh yes, those optional upgrades are absolutely essential to have!

As not everybody can afford $5000 for a basic PC, on that basis, there's a bigger market for the
VCS now that a PC costs 10x as much. Perhaps though, it's not essential to buy any "upgrades"
for most people, and they can manage quite happily, because their expectations are also lower.

YMMV. 

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

After the "upgrades".  Duh.

Is this any different than other consoles though?   There's going to be quite a sticker-shock buying PS5-compliant SSD drives for instance

For an 8gb VCS, memory upgrades are probably unnecessary for most users.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, zzip said:

Is this any different than other consoles though?

I'd say so, I have never done anything to my PS4 Pro, just plugged it in, setup account info and go.  I'd be bitching, if I had to buy extra components, to even make it halfway worth it.

No idea, where a $5000 PC came from, as that was not part of the question.  I don't play games on a PC, so I am not sure what kind of machine you need to play the latest games, that may be available.