Jump to content
Jinroh

Carrot Kingdom™ - Physical Production on Kickstarter

Recommended Posts

Let us end 2020 with a bang!

 

Carrot Kingdom™ is finished, join us on Kickstarter, to make a physical run of cartridge, box, and manuals happen! Let Jinny physically make your 2600 the Purrfect console!

 

Thank you for checking it out!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just curious, is there a reason why this is going to be a Kickstarter project instead of published by AtariAge? Is this going to be some kind of limited run title where only the kickstarter backers get a copy? I'd be more than happy to buy a copy, but I'm in a position where my near future is uncertain. I'd just hate to miss out due to my current life circumstances because I've been awaiting this project for a long time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

 

We cannot say with certainty yet if there will be another production run following this, but the capital being raised for this current run is so we can give the early adopters on Kickstarter, the 'Deluxe Limited' version of the game.

 

Any subsequent runs, if there are any, will not include any extras like 'Kickstarter exclusive' markings, limited numbering, and any additional stretch goal upgrades. We are also looking into other physical objects that we can manufacture and include as well. Those would not be included in a second standard run.

 

We have worked hard on this game for 5 years, so we want to give everyone the personal touch, and really make this release special. :)

 

Now moving on, we have a work-in-progress rendering of the box, you can get an idea of the direction we are going for, trying to meld classic Atari with our other artwork. :) Not final yet, but we are liking where it is going.

 

108ab46c86aa78714d9dd13c002bef51_origina

 

 

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Where did you register Carrot Kingdom as a trademark?

You would have to ask a Trademark Attorney how that is done, my expertise is not such that I am qualified to answer legal questions.

 

That would be my recommendation if you have an original mark you want to register. :)

Edited by Jinroh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the support, we have passed the 50% mark, and also have a (nearly) final rendering of the boxes.
 

image.thumb.png.7bf57fadf2837be61abd91be0dbfad32.png

 

In addition to this, every copy will be shrink wrapped, we know how important this is to collectors and sellers, so we wanted to make sure this was done.

 

Thank you everyone who has backed us, and anyone still on the fence, rest assured you are getting a great product. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Supported on Kickstarter!  Cool to see this having a release.

Thanks so much! :3

 

We are really excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jinroh said:

You would have to ask a Trademark Attorney how that is done, my expertise is not such that I am qualified to answer legal questions.

 

That would be my recommendation if you have an original mark you want to register. :)

 

So is it actually trademarked or did you put that there for fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shawn said:

 

So is it actually trademarked or did you put that there for fun?

Something odd about all of this. I'm sure (90%) it's legit, but still odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Shawn said:

So is it actually trademarked or did you put that there for fun?

You can in fact use ™ without registration, and that's actually what it means - an unregistered trademark. For registered marks you would use the ® symbol instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RevEng said:

You can in fact use ™ without registration, and that's actually what it means - an unregistered trademark. For registered marks you would use the ® symbol instead.

Thank you RevEng, I did not want to turn this thread into a business law lesson, but I appreciate the response.


For the record, we are indeed a 100% legitimate business entity. This is not our first rodeo. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I never thought of trying kickstarter for projects, would help get the ball rolling that's for sure

Go for it!

 

If you have the ability to publish yourself, why not? :3

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RevEng said:

You can in fact use ™ without registration, and that's actually what it means - an unregistered trademark. For registered marks you would use the ® symbol instead.

 

Gotcha. I was just curious about it. I know sometimes people use the symbols for fun and that was all I was asking.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

Something odd about our trademark or his strange attitude?

 

My attitude isn't strange but thanks for saying so. You are the one who gave the deflecting answer when I asked a very simple question if your mark was registered or not. It's not and that was all you had to say but beat around the bush instead. I think your game is cool and I've watched it grow over time with your postings. I hope you have great success with your release. The box looks bonkers to me but the game is the meat of it and that seems to be very well made.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shawn said:

 

My attitude isn't strange but thanks for saying so. You are the one who gave the deflecting answer when I asked a very simple question if your mark was registered or not. It's not and that was all you had to say but beat around the bush instead. I think your game is cool and I've watched it grow over time with your postings. I hope you have great success with your release. The box looks bonkers to me but the game is the meat of it and that seems to be very well made.

Well thank you for the kind words. 

 

My apologies for misunderstanding your intent. I was not sure if you were insinuating that we were not operating legitimately, or were asking in a strange way how to register your own Mark.

 

My mistake, and my apologies. :)


Glad at least you think the box is unique. ;)


Glad you like the game as well, it is the culmination of 5 years of love and hard work for the VCS and all my friends on here. :D

 

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Something odd about our trademark or his strange attitude?

Nothing nefarious, just odd that you were working on the game as an individual, always using "I", struggling with it and making progress on and off, asking advice and posting ROMs for several months. Then it disappeared for like 18 months from Atariage, then ...BOOM...back with a kickstarter of a finished game and always using the term "we" in the business sense. Mao Mao Games? Just unusual with lots of missing pieces of the story. Not really my business, though. Glad you got it finished. Hope you will include lots of artwork. How big did it end up being? 16k or 32?

 

Also, why am I paying $17 for shipping to the US and what kind of shipping is it? The Kickstarter doesn't say. It looks like it is $55 shipping to everywhere else in the world. Is this Expedited USPS w tracking and insurance?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Swami said:

Also, why am I paying $17 for shipping to the US and what kind of shipping is it? The Kickstarter doesn't say. It looks like it is $55 shipping to everywhere else in the world. Is this Expedited USPS w tracking and insurance?

USPS Medium Flat Rate Box which is what, 2-3 days IIRC. Well packed, tracking number.

 

We did not want to do like some places and just throw them in a bubble mailer and throw it to fate.

 

Thanks for the reminder I will add that to the KS info. :)
 

The $55 as well is for an analogous flat rate world wide international shipping.

Edited by Jinroh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Swami said:

Nothing nefarious, just odd that you were working on the game as an individual, always using "I", struggling with it and making progress on and off, asking advice and posting ROMs for several months. Then it disappeared for like 18 months from Atariage, then ...BOOM...back with a kickstarter of a finished game and always using the term "we" in the business sense. Mao Mao Games? Just unusual with lots of missing pieces of the story. Not really my business, though. Glad you got it finished. Hope you will include lots of artwork. How big did it end up being? 16k or 32?


Long story short, I buckled down and finished the game, but wanted to give it a proper release that all that hard work deserved. :) I did the hard work coding it but I knew I would need associates with other skills.

 

It ended up being a vanilla 32K, no ARM, no DPC, or extra RAM.

 

Later this weekend I will upload a video with the final state of the game up to the Bread Cat. :)

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jinroh said:


 I knew I would need associates with other skills.

 

 

Who is producing the cartridges for this release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swami has some good points, after having a skim through the development build there is alot of "I". You have also mentioned "we are a 100% legitimate business" and not your "first rodeo" however in the dev thread you clearly mention it's your first game. Not trying to rain on your parade im just confused. AFAIK most legit companies would pay the overheads upfront then include a percentage within the sales profits. Just sounds more like it was an idea that arised over a few beers/wines one night to release your homebrew game... Covid times are hard but i have never heard of anyone making decent coin of selling Atari 2600 homebrew. It's usually just a hobby and proud moment for the developer to have the chance of releasing their homebrew in physical form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Swami has some good points, after having a skim through the development build there is alot of "I". You have also mentioned "we are a 100% legitimate business" and not your "first rodeo" however in the dev thread you clearly mention it's your first game. Not trying to rain on your parade im just confused. AFAIK most legit companies would pay the overheads upfront then include a percentage within the sales profits. Just sounds more like it was an idea that arised over a few beers/wines one night to release your homebrew game... Covid times are hard but i have never heard of anyone making decent coin of selling Atari 2600 homebrew. It's usually just a hobby and proud moment for the developer to have the chance of releasing their homebrew in physical form.

I think you misunderstand.

 

We are not expecting to become millionaires from one game, or treat this more than a hobby.

 

Also this is my first game for the 2600 but I have developed games for various companies in the past.


We formed because we have more than one project in the pipeline, and it is easier to handle these ourselves, for the various projects than having to go to different publishers or other companies.

 

As for the capital up front. Take a look at Piko Interactive or Limited Run games. They are much larger, and raise the capital for their releases beforehand. It is a common practice. One via Kickstarter and the other via their Pre-Order Page.

 

As for first rodeo comment, we have previous business experience. :)

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shawn said:

 

Who is producing the cartridges for this release?

Mao Mao Media is producing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...